Commercial banking question on ACH and check fraud

We are in the middle of running two operating accounts since somehow our ACH and checking account information was compromised somehow.  Each night, the "old" operating account has about 1-3 transfers a night (unauthorized) and yesterday some guy walks in to a bank in some small town called Jackson, LA and tries to cash a paper check for $25,500.  Idiot.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anybody in the banking industry knows how this info gets out?  I am sure the possibility of the recipients have employees that can be bad people, but if there are other ways this info gets out.

Note: Each transaction is from a different person.  We've had Tacoma (a drywall company trying to pay a $13,000 AT&T bill), Dude in LA, Floridaman tried to cash a check for 10K, small transaction in OH and Michigan among others.  So I am guessing the info was sold online.  Just curious on thoughts of what could have happened.  

We've been having this stuff going on at our firm. 

Our administrator is getting emails that are purportedly from employees asking for a change in their ACH payroll information and redirecting them to some sort of cash debit cards.

We think the breach is because that one of my partners had his laptop stolen in a parking garage in downtown Houston (brazen daylight theft where they busted out the windows of his truck) and they accessed all of our shit.

Check fraud and email hacking is off the charts.  Simply including the word “invoice” in an email can trigger monitored and hacked accounts to alert the crooks that ACH instructions may be included and ripe for the picking.

We had one mailed check boosted from the postal service.  It was picked up in our office by the carrier on Thursday and was being sold on the dark net come Monday morning. Routing and account number available.

Now we have 9 checking accounts n in the positive pay program.

Crooks are still presenting washed checks with the compromised account info on them.

What a world we live in.

• Rage+1 1

On 8/10/2023 at 5:01 AM, deadshank said:

Check fraud and email hacking is off the charts.  Simply including the word “invoice” in an email can trigger monitored and hacked accounts to alert the crooks that ACH instructions may be included and ripe for the picking.

We had one mailed check boosted from the postal service.  It was picked up in our office by the carrier on Thursday and was being sold on the dark net come Monday morning. Routing and account number available.

Now we have 9 checking accounts n in the positive pay program.

Crooks are still presenting washed checks with the compromised account info on them.

What a world we live in.

Yep.  We're dealing with this right now, too.  It's fucking nuts.

• Rage+1 1

Not a sales guy, but shameless plug. This is literally what we do.

https://www.q2.com/product/centrix-etms

We sell this to banks/credit unions so situations exactly like you’re describing can be avoided. If this is an issue for you I highly recommend finding one with a Positive Pay solution like ours. If you need a local option, I’m happy to assist.