Linux

WelfareBuysMyWeed

Do you fuck with it? I've been using Linux since the late 90's as my primary operating system and I can't believe how good modern Linux desktop is. Even though I mainly work on Linux machines, I've always had to keep around a Windows PC to play games. But within the last couple of years, Linux gaming has finally caught up. I looked around today and for the first time in my life, I realized I had no computers running Windows or Mac OS. I've gotten to the point where I don't even look up compatibility notes online anymore at protondb, I just buy PC games like I did with windows with the expectation they'll run in Linux automatically. Like I bought Baldur's Gate 3 a while back without even checking compatibility, and it totally ran fine. This was unthinkable even 10 years ago. It's also gotten pretty good about Web DRM. Used to be sites like Netflix and Hulu and such used to play very poorly with Linux, even if you were using Firefox or Chrome. But today they all work just fine, exactly as they would in Windows.

What's your history with Linux been? Have you tried it lately? It's in a pretty good place these days.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Funny story I just came across - someone discovered a bug in the linux thread scheduler!

https://thehftguy.com/2023/11/14/the-linux-kernel-has-been-accidentally-hardcoded-to-a-maximum-of-8-cores-for-nearly-20-years/

It's not that linux wouldn't use all 128 cores of your ultra-badass EPYC server, but the scheduler would only ever calculate as if you had 8 cores so there was way more process rescheduling and thrashing than necessary. Interested to see if this leads to lower overall IOWait times and fewer overall interrupts 

• Rage+1 1