Trump Admin Position on Affirmative Action in Education

tantric superman

Have a lot on our plates but need to have this conversation.  I think the party who becomes the quickest champion of using income/wealth need as the sole qualification for any kind of preference in public education wins the day. 

I'm stunned that Republicans have not championed this, but to be honest, I'm stunned with the total lack of ethics or desire for equal opportunity among the Republicans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/03/us/politics/trump-affirmative-action-race-schools.html

10 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Have a lot on our plates but need to have this conversation.  I think the party who becomes the quickest champion of using income/wealth need as the sole qualification for any kind of preference in public education wins the day. 

I'm stunned that Republicans have not championed this, but to be honest, I'm stunned with the total lack of ethics or desire for equal opportunity among the Republicans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/03/us/politics/trump-affirmative-action-race-schools.html

At this point, I could probably get on board with some sort of formula that factored in a number of other socioeconomic indicators, including test scores on a curve in comparison to the student's school, class rank, highest level of education of parents, income of parents, percentage of students in the high school from which the applicant graduated who are on free or reduced lunch, education spending per student, student disability status, and district household income.

Given those types of factors, I think most colleges would be able to hit target quotas 99% of the time and there would be zero conceivable argument that minorities are receiving preferential treatment.

That's about all I've got to say about this topic, though I'll follow the thread to read counter-arguments or other approaches.

• Like 2