Remodeling Assistance Needed

Bevo

We might purchase a home in the mountains but eventually we would want to totally change the exterior and interior to meet our wants. It is Victorian-styled and we are wanting a mountain/lodge-style home. Inside is fairly straight-forward, I think. It has low ceilings that we will have to deal with but I might be able to gain about 10" if we take out the ceiling drywall and replace it with tongue and groove and expose the beams. The exterior is a bigger issue. It has two circular areas similar to the one in the pic -

image.thumb.jpeg.91e9d3f19534a0a7264f9e348ec64383.jpeg

We would probably need to reframe and change them to square and change the roofline, but honestly I'm not sure.

Anyway, to get an idea of what might be possible, who would I look for to sketch up an idea or two? Am I looking for an architect, interior designer, or homosexual or someone else? It seems like going to an architect right away might be the most expensive way to go and I'm not sure how to find the most creative one.

On 9/11/2023 at 10:19 AM, Bevo said:

We might purchase a home in the mountains but eventually we would want to totally change the exterior and interior to meet our wants. It is Victorian-styled and we are wanting a mountain/lodge-style home. Inside is fairly straight-forward, I think. It has low ceilings that we will have to deal with but I might be able to gain about 10" if we take out the ceiling drywall and replace it with tongue and groove and expose the beams. The exterior is a bigger issue. It has two circular areas similar to the one in the pic -

image.thumb.jpeg.91e9d3f19534a0a7264f9e348ec64383.jpeg

We would probably need to reframe and change them to square and change the roofline, but honestly I'm not sure.

Anyway, to get an idea of what might be possible, who would I look for to sketch up an idea or two? Am I looking for an architect, interior designer, or homosexual or someone else? It seems like going to an architect right away might be the most expensive way to go and I'm not sure how to find the most creative one.

We talked to a few architects and wound up selecting a firm that had 2 phases. The cheap phase was prelim design where we went in with our ideas and they worked with us on sketches and ideas, ultimately producing a drawing and rough plans. It was a few grand. Phase 2 if we would have gone that route was for them to do the detail plans. We shopped our phase 1 to builders and when we selected a builder had their in house architect do the plans as it was included in the costs. 

Ours was pretty straightforward, though compared to what you're talking about. Dormer addition + kitchen blowout + building an office in the basement. 

2 hours ago, Updawg said:

Does that house have historical significance? Will the neighborhood be pissed if you change it to your like’s instead of leaving it alone?

No, it is actually the opposite. Homes in the area are generally mountain homes (so lodge style, cabins, etc.). So, a house that would fit in San Francisco or Seattle, would not be very popular there. In theory I could get a significant discount on the house because of this and because the house is missing some of the features in most homes in the area, namely high ceilings and large windows.

Unfortunately, it is doubtful that I can get a deal done. The owner overpaid for the home during the pandemic and she has now moved back to Seattle. She has renters who are tearing it up. Meanwhile, she thinks that it is under priced and continues to fight with her real estate agent who states otherwise. So, my feeling is that she won't budge on pricing and it will sit for awhile while she argues with the market. Maybe she can wait it out and maybe the market bounces back.

Edited by Bevo