Media/$9.95-er postgame analysis articles (Week 6)

satyanash

59 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

This has been driving me insane.  Why they field anything inside the 10 is beyond me.  

I don't remember the coverage team being that close to Worthy. He should have let it go.

Conversely, he has let the ball hit the ground more often than not this year away from the goal line. Resulting in loss of field position.  He's obviously dynamic with the ball in his hands but his decision making on fielding punts this season has been pretty bad.

Edited by sunset87
can't spell...

I agree with Scipio's 2-3 most important points from the defense breakdown:

1) PK got outcoached

2) Our defense did not really play that great in the 2nd half.  I'm hearing a lot of the talking heads on radio/youtube today saying we got stuff figured out in the 2nd half.  I don't think I totally buy that.  

3) This OU roster has some glaring holes. If they had an upgraded WR and OL, they would have beaten us badly in this game.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I going to disagree with this spin. 
Quinn had been on point for about 3Qs. I think he had 1-2 incompletions in the second half. OU had lost their starting CB and Safety in the last 2 series. Hitting the kick was less than a coin flip. Bert came in 3-8 outside of 40 yards. He hit both (good for him), but I had more confidence in Quinn getting a first down. Not to mention OU came out in FG block on 4th down 

Defensively it’s tougher to argue. Texas was coming off 4 straight stops, but that was vs a different scheme 

They had their FG block team on defense and we didn’t go for it. That was chicken shit. 

LUNCH WITH THE COACH | ON TEXAS FOOTBALL | NEW BLOOD ON DEFENSE? | TACKLING IN SPACE | REMATCH?

Soft defense on last drive -- Need more aggressive defensive play.  Pass rush and pass protection need work.  We looked slow, deadlegged, not tackling in space.  Team hasn't kept improving since baylor.  Time to go to work at being great by improving week to week.

Says next time we play blOU go with a 3-4 look to better handle that offense.  

My comment:  "Stop smellin' our own farts and get to fuckin' work damn it!!!"

2 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

They had their FG block team on defense and we didn’t go for it. That was chicken shit. 

That is not true. #7 Kanak and #28 Stutsman are both in. #5 Woodi Washington their starting corner is in there. #21 is Reggie Pearson their starting safety. #40 Ethan Downs their starting DE. And those are just the players whose numbers I can see.Screenshot2023-10-09at2_49_08PM.thumb.png.3dfec57a5c74967a89ba0012a52f96cb.png

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That is not true. #7 Kanak and #28 Stutsman are both in. #5 Woodi Washington their starting corner is in there. #21 is Reggie Pearson their starting safety. #40 Ethan Downs their starting DE. And those are just the players whose numbers I can see.Screenshot2023-10-09at2_49_08PM.thumb.png.3dfec57a5c74967a89ba0012a52f96cb.png

I wondered why people kept repeating this, and figured it out when I watched the replay. It's because Chris Fowler said the FG block team was in and OU was in disarray because they ran off hybrid LB/S #1 and ran in slot corner #15. Every other player is a starter, rotational/situational, or injury replacement. The absolute best to hope for in the "OU didn't have the right guys/misaligned" argument is as soon as the ball is ready for play whip it out to Whitt and hope he can cover 6+ yards while the slot corner is running over from the LB area. Only problem with that, is Helm has to go in motion and by the time he's set the OU defense is fully aligned instead of only 10/11. People listen to announcers too much.

• Like 1

I think the whole thing for Texas was lack of aggression.  It's why they didn't do well in the red zone.  It is why Ewers got sacked so many times.  It is why the defense didn't pressure OU.  That is on Sark and PK.  Defense has been weak all year at times but we haven't played anyone with talent except for Alabama.  If the defense was well coached Milroe doesn't keep hitting deep balls.  PK has to be fired.