New PC Build Questions?

BNB

I built many PC's in the 90's,  Now I have no idea...

This was on slickdeals, and I was told this was a good deal, I got this from EVGA:

http://www.evga.com/products/featured-bundles.aspx

Z370 Class + 650 GP + CLC 240

• EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1+, 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular, FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Power Supply 120-GP-0650-X1
    120-GP-0650-X1

• Total Watts: 650 Watts
    • +12v Rail: 54A Total
    • 100% Modular
    • Energy Rating: 80 Plus Gold
  • EVGA Z370 Classified K, 134-KS-E379-KR, LGA 1151, Intel Z370, HDMI 2.0, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.1, USB 3.0, ATX, Intel Motherboard
    134-KS-E379-KR

• Intel Z370 Chipset
    • Supports Intel Socket LGA1151 Coffee Lake-S Processors
    • Dual Channel DDR4
    • Form Factor – ATX
    • SLI – 2-Way SLI + PhysX
  • EVGA CLC 240 Liquid / Water CPU Cooler, RGB LED Cooling 400-HY-CL24-V1
    400-HY-CL24-V1

• Premium Retention parts for Intel LGA2066/2011/2011-v3/1150/1151/1155/1156/1366 and upcoming variants
    • AMD retention ring for supporting AM2/AM3/AM4/FM1/FM2/TR4 and upcoming variants
    • Fully controllable RGB LED
    • Fan Size: 120 x 120 x 25mm (x2)

Motherboard, Power Supply, and CPU Cooler.

I need:

Intel CPU - I understand I want an i7

Case - What is the difference between a $30 and a $100+?  Any recommendations?

Ram - What speed do I want?  Any idea where the best is to get this and the CPU? New Egg?

Graphics Card - GTX 1070?

I've read up on GPU's.  I understand Nvidia has a surplus and bitcoin is down, so I need to wait a few weeks to a month..

Thanks,

BNB

Edited by BNB

Difference in better cases will be better airflow, generally; better cord management; and convenience. A good case will make it easy to install and get to shit. Good cases now also often have dust filters. 

No real comment on that particular deal, but read up on water-cooling. I hear it can be a PITA, especially when not using high end setups. No personal experience though,  and I don't know anything about  that particular setup. 

If you're planning to build a gaming system I'd just read some current build guides for budget, high end, extreme builds to get a feel for where various components fall and go from there. 

I'd think the new i5s would be plenty enough for a gaming build. A gtx1070 will be pretty good for 1080p graphics. If you want/have a higher resolution monitor look at a gtx1080 instead. Nvidia is going to announce the next gen cards soon so possible the prices will drop.. 

Edited by BillyBadAss
  • Like 1

Thanks Billy.

I ordered an i7.  16bg of Gskill ram and just a $140 dollar GTX 1040 graphics card for now.  I will upgrade the video card later when prices come down.  I think that is the best move.

Thanks..

Wow a 70 dollar case is nice, no edges that cut you and its no screws so far putting in all the drives.  Very nice.

Evga is late, so I'm waiting on the Motherboard, because of weather.  I can't wait to have my first fast PC.  I've always bought the cheapest new components.

I had a 4tb drive that I never put in my Unraid server, so I just took out a 1.5tb and put that in to take me to a 17tb media server.  I think 8 Hard drives.  

I'm going to throw away or donate my old hdd's.  38gb - 800gb, most 500gb.  

8a8dc76e7cda3dc7073efab03abe0f0e.jpg

never done a water cooled CPU.  But normally you will want some thermal grease between the CPU and the heatsink.  Arctic Silver is what i remember using last time i built one.

If you are not overclocking your CPU you probably don't need the water cooling.  I used to work for AMD way back in the day and the promotion/tradeshow guys would use water cooling to overclock the hell out of the display systems.

If it's an out of the box water cooler, it's the exact same as any other heatsink, like stated above.  If you are building a one yourself, it's quite fun but also a PITA.  I've done both and currently have one of the Corsair OOB models.  I've had my i5-3570k overclocked to 4.2ghz for like 5 years now with no issues.

Furk..  I've never had this happen on any delivery.  One would think there is a snow storm going on.  I called UPS.  They said call tomorrow.. Still a weather delay for 3 DAYS! I was hoping to put it all together this weekend.  Oh well..

07/12/2018 3:00 P.M. Severe weather conditions have delayed delivery.
  07/11/2018 10:01 A.M. Severe weather conditions have delayed delivery.
Anaheim,  CA,  United States 07/10/2018 12:19 A.M. Departure Scan
Anaheim,  CA,  United States 07/09/2018 9:25 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 07/09/2018 5:06 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS
Edited by BNB

On 7/9/2018 at 8:36 AM, BNB said:

Thanks Billy.

I ordered an i7.  16bg of Gskill ram and just a $140 dollar GTX 1040 graphics card for now.  I will upgrade the video card later when prices come down.  I think that is the best move.

Thanks..

which i7? It is a generic term meaning a high end processor in its class, but does not tell you much more. Hopefully it was at least a 8700 and not a older model like the 7700k. Pretty huge difference (50% more cores in the newer model)

Finally got everything last night.  Must of been a hell of a storm in CA.  

It is a i7-8700.

Everything was so easy to put together, compared to 10+ years ago.  

Waiting for updates to download now.  Then installing geforce sw, so I can play the games on my Shield TV also.

Very excited.  this thing is super fast.

5 hours ago, BNB said:

Finally got everything last night.  Must of been a hell of a storm in CA.  

It is a i7-8700.

Everything was so easy to put together, compared to 10+ years ago.  

Waiting for updates to download now.  Then installing geforce sw, so I can play the games on my Shield TV also.

Very excited.  this thing is super fast.

I have an 8700 as well. You can't officially overclock, but if your board supports multicore enhancement you can kick it up to 4.4 ghz all-core. And you can undervolt it to keep it quiet and cool. I have my set to 1.185v, and it runs super quiet and cool even with a cheap $30 air cooler. 

• 2 weeks later...

Halp!

Son got a new video card for his PC build that is a few years old. Had a 430w EVGA and upgraded to a 1000w 80gold EVGA. We’ve now tried 3 EVGAs and have now switched to a Corsair. While the testers either worked or we could use a paper clip to ensure that the fans would spin, we cannot get the MB to start, even with only the psu connected to the 24
Pin MB, the 8pin cpu and the hard drive connect to the MB - even by jumping the 2
Pin power with a screw driver.

Most aggravating is that we can use the old PSU in this set up and it starts fine. Also used the old psu on his brother’s cpu and it started fine but a new psu had the same issue - pressing power button or jumping from the pins worked on old psu but not four seemingly operational PSUs.

The MB is a Gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming 3 with an i5 chip. Only dealing with an old 5.1 setup with multiple inputs and no access has been more frustrating than this.