Two football men in history made a huge positive difference in our history....

JGrayDBU

...one was a very young exec. at ABC I think...Beano Cook came up with the idea to move the 1969 Texas-Arkansas game to the first weekend of December, for a national TV audience.  Colege football on TV was evidently in its formative years and a national TV game was probably very uncommon.  Hey

Armybrat, is that more or less correct? I was in K.  Both Horns and Hogs held up their end of the deal and we had the game of the century.  

Other man is yet to be named..Is it CDC who decided to schedule Alabama during the 23 season?  Without that victory we are nowhere near the CFP.

Kudos to whoever gets credit for scheduling 'bama.  Now lets go whoop some Wash.

55 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

...one was a very young exec. at ABC I think...Beano Cook came up with the idea to move the 1969 Texas-Arkansas game to the first weekend of December, for a national TV audience.  Colege football on TV was evidently in its formative years and a national TV game was probably very uncommon.  Hey

Armybrat, is that more or less correct? I was in K.  Both Horns and Hogs held up their end of the deal and we had the game of the century.  

Other man is yet to be named..Is it CDC who decided to schedule Alabama during the 23 season?  Without that victory we are nowhere near the CFP.

Kudos to whoever gets credit for scheduling 'bama.  Now lets go whoop some Wash.

Beano was ABCs ‘college football guru’ in 1969 but I don’t think he was an exec. He felt strongly about that happening, and Roone Arledge (the god of sports broadcasting at that time) definitely leaned on him for advice.

My favorite Beano story: when he was SID at Pittsburgh, he got a call early in August from a woman who wanted “the roster for every Pitt player, even the walkons”. Beano responded that a lot of them were just tackling dummies and wouldn’t she rather wait until September for the final roster? She told no, because she “wanted to sleep with everyone on the Pitt team.”

Beno’s (alleged) response: “OK then; in alphabetical order, ‘Cook, Beano’”…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2