RIP Tom Smothers (1937-2023)

Rimbo

NYTimes Gift Link -- Though he played a naïve buffoon onstage, he was the driving force behind the folk-singing duo’s groundbreaking TV show.

I remember my parents playing Smothers Brothers albums for me as a kid. Mom would remind me constantly that what I was hearing was incredibly radical and controversial for the time. It was a pretty important part of how she helped to nurture the subversiveness, irreverence and general disregard of authority and mass movements of any kind that I otherwise gained naturally from her genetics. Dad worked diligently to counter this. Always strait-laced, that one. So I found my rebellious outlet through music, and not just through the stuff I listened to, but in the incredibly awful things I wrote.

But even the stuff I listened to growing up couldn't touch the unhinged things the Smothers Brothers, Tom Lehrer, and Weird Al did with music.

And with the Smothers Brothers, you could tell that there was method in their madness. There was a very serious purpose behind the clowning. They were crossing lines on purpose to show not only could they be crossed, but that they should be crossed.

Take it, Tommy!

...TAKE IT, TOMMY!...

......TAKE. IT. TOMMY.

Tommy, when I say "Take it," you're supposed to take it. It's in the Folk Song Rule Book...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I actually vaguely remember the show, although wiki says it went off the air when I was 1.  I vaguely remember some kind of controversy about it.

I seem to recall my parents enjoying them and being troubled about the whole cancellation thing, but don't remember any specifics.  Parents were far from hippies, but not John Birchers either.  Since they were clean cut and pretty wholesome, I imagine they approved but can't really recall.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Earlier this month, PBS TV in Dallas (KERA) had a show/pledge drive special that was a collection of performances from folk greats that I think was put together in 2013 that was hosted by the Brothers “Smothers”.

I looked them both up and found that they were still alive.

R.I.P. / Q.E.P.D. the old white guy who inspired “A Mighty Wind”.

PS- Those folk guitarist mother fuckers didn’t need 10 pedals to sound like great guitarists. They were just GREAT GUITARISTS.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2

So, I have this friend who was a chef in Florida and owned her own restaurant. Nice place. Anyway, one day Tom Smothers ends up there. Likes the food. He chats with friend about cooking for him at his tasting room and running the hospitality side. She is a bit of a hippie and wants out of Florida "where people don't appreciate her food" (her words) so off she goes to Sonoma County. Lives there on property and works with Tom for years until I think it sold or she quit--not sure. Anyway, when she left Tom gave her a case of wine where he had signed the bottles. A few years ago, she gives one to me. I had forgotten about it until I saw this thread. Went into dining room and found the dusty still-corked bottle. 

Unknown-2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, squib said:

So, I have this friend who was a chef in Florida and owned her own restaurant. Nice place. Anyway, one day Tom Smothers ends up there. Likes the food. He chats with friend about cooking for him at his tasting room and running the hospitality side. She is a bit of a hippie and wants out of Florida "where people don't appreciate her food" (her words) so off she goes to Sonoma County. Lives there on property and works with Tom for years until I think it sold or she quit--not sure. Anyway, when she left Tom gave her a case of wine where he had signed the bottles. A few years ago, she gives one to me. I had forgotten about it until I saw this thread. Went into dining room and found the dusty still-corked bottle. 

Unknown-2.jpeg

CSB (no sarcasm).  And you can toast his memory with it when you open it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, squib said:

Unknown-2.jpeg

There's no better time to crack that thing open for a toast than today.