P1450 code on 2015 Ford Edge

chikin23

Daughters car has been throwing this code that says “Unable to bleed up fuel tank vacuum” and anytime we put gas (doesn’t matter if it’s one gallon or fill it up) the car has problems starting and takes a few cranks. Once it starts it sputters for a few seconds and then it’s fine. There are no other issues at all until we put gas in again.

All the stuff I’ve seen online says to replace the purge valve, which we have, we’ve cleaned the fill valve, and checked underneath for crimped or damaged hoses and found nothing. Any other suggestions?

The P1450 is pointing to a problem in the EVAP (emission control/recovery) System. This code states there is too much vacuum in the system. This can be due to a few different causes. This can be; a faulty Purge Solenoid, a clogged EVAP Canister, a faulty Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor (very common), or a faulty Vent Solenoid. No matter what the root of the problem is, this is an EVAP system issue. The EVAP system is strictly for emissions and will not cause any engine performance or reliability concerns. So, the vehicle is perfectly safe to drive until you can get it in for service.

I would Ohm out the fuel tank pressure sensor, if that is out of range you have your answer.

If I don't know the range or can't find it, I ohm out the current part, drive down the road to Oreillys and they let me ohm a new one.

• Like 1

The P1450 is pointing to a problem in the EVAP (emission control/recovery) System. This code states there is too much vacuum in the system. This can be due to a few different causes. This can be; a faulty Purge Solenoid, a clogged EVAP Canister, a faulty Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor (very common), or a faulty Vent Solenoid. No matter what the root of the problem is, this is an EVAP system issue. The EVAP system is strictly for emissions and will not cause any engine performance or reliability concerns. So, the vehicle is perfectly safe to drive until you can get it in for service.

I would Ohm out the fuel tank pressure sensor, if that is out of range you have your answer.

If I don't know the range or can't find it, I ohm out the current part, drive down the road to Oreillys and they let me ohm a new one.

I’m guessing I’ll have to drop the tank for this one?

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn’t the fuel tank pressure sensor. It ended up being the vapor canister vent solenoid. I went to Oreillys and was going to test the sensor and Lady Luck had the most knowledgeable employee ever that checked it for me and found the solenoid to be the culprit.

It wasn’t the fuel tank pressure sensor. It ended up being the vapor canister vent solenoid. I went to Oreillys and was going to test the sensor and Lady Luck had the most knowledgeable employee ever that checked it for me and found the solenoid to be the culprit.
Hell yeah brother...damn EVAP systems.

So it thought your gas cap was loose?

I guess so. Like I said, I hit the jackpot of employees and he was very familiar with the issue. He recommended using wd40 on that funnel that comes with Fords and jamming it in and out of the of the fill valve every once in a while too.

100%. Ridiculous amount of things that can be wrong.

On 1/13/2024 at 5:38 PM, Mother mopar said:
On 1/13/2024 at 3:56 PM, chikin23 said:

Lost count of how many times I had to do that on one of our Yukons. Yukon/Tahoes put it in the shittiest place ever, and it gets plugged with road debris.  Cheap part, not difficult to change, but I finally relocated it and no more issues.  When it would go, it would take a half hour to fill the tank.   Memories. 

When it rains it pours…got the kiddo taken care of and now my truck is showing codes.

2011 F150 - P4051 (Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch) and P4053 (Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch High). Sounds like I’m heading back down a rabbit hole.