Texas Women's Tennis 2024

10SNE1

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Texas takes the doubles point! We needed that point a lot more than OKST did to have a chance at winning today.

Really good fight by #1. Looked in the bag at 5-2, then 5-4 and they dominated to win the point 

OKST wins 4-3 and most likely clinched the Big12 title by defeating Texas today. Hopefully Zeynalova can get healthy by tournament time because we won’t do anything without her. Good news is she was seen walking around without any visible injury on the sideline today. 

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

OKST wins 4-3 and most likely clinched the Big12 title by defeating Texas today. Hopefully Zeynalova can get healthy by tournament time because we won’t do anything without her. Good news is she was seen walking around without any visible injury on the sideline today. 

Tough loss. Tanya fought hard 

Still no Zeynalova today against Tech. At this point, I’ll just assume she’s done for the year. but it’s very odd seeing her walk around like normal with no visible injury. Could be mental health related who knows. Regardless, any outside chance of winning the championship is gone without her in the lineup. 

The pressure is really on OKST to win it all this year because not only does OKST host the Big12 tournament, they also will host the quarterfinals, Semi finals, and finals of the NCAA tournament. If they can’t win the championship this season, it would be a major disappointment. 

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Still no Zeynalova today against Tech. At this point, I’ll just assume she’s done for the year. but it’s very odd seeing her walk around like normal with no visible injury. Could be mental health related who knows. Regardless, any outside chance of winning the championship is gone without her in the lineup. 

The pressure is really on OKST to win it all this year because not only does OKST host the Big12 tournament, they also will host the quarterfinals, Semi finals, and finals of the NCAA tournament. If they can’t win the championship this season, it would be a major disappointment. 

it's an injury

Texas concluded the regular season with a 4-0 win over Baylor. Still no Zeynalova today, so whatever injury she sustained a couple months ago, was season ending.

As I predicted pre-season, OKST won the Big12 title outright. Big 12 tournament takes place later this week.

• Hook 'Em 1

Still hopeful that Zeynalova can play postseason

There's video of her doing cardio on the Instagram page and she's been in the prelim singles lineup for the latest matches only to get switched out after the doubles point (which Texas wins most of the time)

18 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Still hopeful that Zeynalova can play postseason

There's video of her doing cardio on the Instagram page and she's been in the prelim singles lineup for the latest matches only to get switched out after the doubles point (which Texas wins most of the time)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where do you guys that follow tennis closely see the Texas women's team landing this year? Are they a national title contender? Or more like a sweet 16 kind of team? I know it was up and down for a while but for those who get to see a lot of tennis, where are they now after stringing wins together and getting healthy-ish?

54 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

KState wins 3 out of 6 first sets. We’re fucking around against a bad team. It’s windy, and KState is fighting harder through it than we are right now 

Ain’t no thang. 4-0 Texas 

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Listening to Joffee's post match interview, he said he will ask Zeynalova if she's good to play tomorrow and implied the ball is in her court so to speak. So, at least we know its not the coaches or trainers keeping her off the court.

Is the thought that if she's able to play going forward that we could potentially contend for the NC?

On 4/17/2024 at 11:15 AM, closetojumping said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where do you guys that follow tennis closely see the Texas women's team landing this year? Are they a national title contender? Or more like a sweet 16 kind of team? I know it was up and down for a while but for those who get to see a lot of tennis, where are they now after stringing wins together and getting healthy-ish?

To answer this question and @BRLA question-

Texas with Zeynalova is a dark horse and can contend with every team. Texas has four losses on the year- UCLA, Stanford, Oklahoma State (twice)

The loss to UCLA can be overlooked as Texas only had four healthy players. The other losses have all been 4-3. The first loss against OK State, Chavatipon served for the match multiple times. The second loss, Texas was without Zeynalova and the loss came down to a third set.

I do have concerns without Zeynalova. Even though Lieberman has performed admirably stepping in (especially in doubles), there's not been any line 6 win that has made me go "Wow, she'll be competitive against a top 10 team."

Texas is not the only team without its top player. Defending Champ UNC has gone without its top player Reese Brantmeier since January.

Currently Texas should be around a six seed. If the rankings hold, Texas is slated to host one of the California schools (UCLA, Cal, USC) in the super regionals. A huge possibility could be A&M who has somehow found a way to get Carson Branstine back on the roster even though she has played pro tournaments the whole year and 'graduated' last season.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, BRLA said:

Is the thought that if she's able to play going forward that we could potentially contend for the NC?

We’re not one of the top 4 teams, so just to get to the final 4, even with a healthy Zeynalova, would require an upset. To win a championship they would need to pull off 2 more upsets. It’s a long shot with or without Zeynalova, so if you want me to give you a number I would give Texas a 5% of a national Championship with Zeynalova and 0% without her. With her, I think we are likely an elite 8 team with a chance to make the final 4. Without her, we are a likely sweet 16 team with a shot at making the elite 8. Thats my honest assessment 

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1