Pussy Riot World Cup Final

Bullneck

Deadspin

I figured it was best to let the World Cup thread die, but this from the comments section:

"Imagine for a moment, that you are a female civil rights activist in Putin’s Russia. Now, you know that no matter what you do, if you actually succeed in your goal of drawing attention to the horrendous state of human rights in your country, you are going to go to jail. And you will be abused. And you may never get out of confinement, once you are there.

But you go out and do it anyway, knowing all that.

These are not idiots. They are fucking awesome."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

I support their cause, but they didn't get anything from interrupting the game. They were barely seen and didnt even hold up a sign. 

And yet, this board in Texas is talking about them because of that incident. Which I think might be part of the point - it's not just what happens only at the game, they also became something people are talking about.

Edited by relapse98
  • Like 1

Would've gotten a lot more sympathy if they hadn't interrupted a counter attack by the underdog of the match.  I'm sympathetic to their cause, but fuck them for screwing up a chance for Croatia.  Wait for an injury or the ball to go out of play.  I think the entire soccer world agrees with me.  

2 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

Would've gotten a lot more sympathy if they hadn't interrupted a counter attack by the underdog of the match.  I'm sympathetic to their cause, but fuck them for screwing up a chance for Croatia.  Wait for an injury or the ball to go out of play.  I think the entire soccer world agrees with me.  

I agree, although it wasnt exactly a completely open counter. 

If they really wanted to send a message, they would have done it during a Russia game and timed it to fuck Russia up.

All and all though, the "we're talking about it" means very little. They will be going to hard prison. The publicity wont do anything for their cause. And theyll be going to jail for an apolitical crime that anyone would go to jail for.

They had far more publicity from the church stunt five years ago and got nothing from that but a sham trial and hard time.  And at least there, they were fighting against the laws they were convicted under.  Here, they cant even have a political trial. They committed an illegal act that will always be an illegal act and is unrelated to their cause. 

However, I'm not sure what tactic would actually be effective. Russia is a cold dark place. 

Agreed. For a seemingly smart group of people, this one wasn't well thought through.  

It wasn't an open counter, but the moment and flow of the match was swinging to Croatia at the time.  It felt like something good was going to come from attacking that left flank.  Killed the flow until the end of the match half.  

Edited by Dertyberd

Perhaps the most significant question is, did it work?  Sadly, I think the answer is no.

I was not actually watching the game at that point and my wife pointed out that some people had run onto the field stopping play.  She indicated that the cameras eventually were turned away from the folks on the field so as not to encourage such antics in the future.  Thus, chances of getting a message out were neutralized.  Neither she nor I had any idea there was a political message behind the ploy until I read this article.

32 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

15 days?  Not so bad.  Wouldn't be a whole lot different here.  I somewhat expected Russia to have a way to trump up the charges by calling it a political demonstration, but maybe Russia learned their lesson.  If they treat them like any other fan that runs on the field, then it suppresses their message.

This was Putin's 1936 Olympics.  Numerous media outlets bought it and are talking about how surprisingly pleasant the host country was.   The American president is doing everything possible to legitimize Russia as a world power.  From a PR perspective, this is not a convenient time to be imprisoning young girls.  15 days is probably a smart move.  

My disconnected mind: whenever I see Pussy Riot, I think of UGK's Front Back and Side to Side:

And all you hoe gettin dick, in yo back
Goin smack from a country ass gold teeth
Chicken eatin' mac
Cuz I’m a playa that get sweet and gooshy
I take your bitch to my crib and throw a party on that pussy