Fantastic Video of New Shepard's launch and return to earth in West Texas today

Hornius Emeritus

Incredible video of Jeff Bezos' New Shepard rocket blasting off near Van Horn, Texas, returning to earth and gently landing intact at a pre-determined landing spot, followed by the capsule. I've started it about two minutes before the launch. This fascinates me.  I love watching that altimeter start off slowly and then, as it's nearing the apogee, it is flying! 74 miles into space and return to earth in about 10 minutes, 15 seconds. Wow. 

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

Ok, how in the hell did this thing fall back to earth if it was already in outer space?  If it was in outer space and had no gravitational pull, wouldn't it just be floating in the direction that it already had momentum in?

There is still gravitational pull in low earth orbits.  The international space station is constantly falling because of gravity.  But it’s moving horizontally at basically the same speed it’s falling so for every meter it falls earth is a meter further away.  They cancel each other out.   Everything floats in the space station not because of lack of gravity but because they’re falling so fast.  Like the vomit comet plane ride.

• Like 1