Transmission Repair / Replacement in Houston

My HS son drives (I own) a 2012 Nissan Frontier pickup with about 150k miles. The transmission appears to have finally conked out this week so I am in the market for replacing the transmission. 

The Nissan dealership says they can do it for ~$4,000 but I'm inclined to just take it to a transmission shop to try and save money. 

Does anyone have a recommendation or advice for transmission shop in Houston (Sugar Land) if I decide to go that route?

58 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Well, that’s that.  Let’s go to the bar. 

My Allison has an electrical gremlin and I’m about to take it to Wendells in Baytown tomorrow.    May give this guy a shout first. Any idea how he is with electoral?   All my hard parts are good. 

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Back in the day, I had a transmission repair / rebuilt at an amco shop. It went another 150k miles before I gave the truck away 

Same for me, was out of town, made it to Seguin AAMCO..still driving it been 4 more years and still as smooth as new. At time was hoping for 1 year.