Home Security and Automation Thread of Excess

Dbeasy

I need to install some home security and automation capabilities in my home. There are so many options: monitored service vs. DIY, various devices, indoor/outdoor, video, etc.  What's the best approach? Specific things I want include:

1. Indoor and outdoor cameras.

2. Window and glass breakage sensors

3. Light turn on/off.

4. Thermostat control.

5. Remote living viewing and cloud viewing of stored video.

6. Blinds, drapes control.

7. Integration with various third party things, like Alexa, other devices, etc.

In my old house I put in an IP-based PoE camera system, mounting cameras indoors and in protected outdoor areas. I also used Arlo cameras for simple Wifi video. It was awesome, but had only limited capabilities. Both implementations were good because I was able to self-install, but it was a closed system where adding things like glass breakage sensors wasn't available. Any thoughts of the best way to go? I plan to document my path on here if there is interest.

• 3 months later...
On 9/8/2018 at 7:44 AM, Dbeasy said:

I need to install some home security and automation capabilities in my home. There are so many options: monitored service vs. DIY, various devices, indoor/outdoor, video, etc.  What's the best approach? Specific things I want include:

1. Indoor and outdoor cameras.

2. Window and glass breakage sensors

3. Light turn on/off.

4. Thermostat control.

5. Remote living viewing and cloud viewing of stored video.

6. Blinds, drapes control.

7. Integration with various third party things, like Alexa, other devices, etc.

In my old house I put in an IP-based PoE camera system, mounting cameras indoors and in protected outdoor areas. I also used Arlo cameras for simple Wifi video. It was awesome, but had only limited capabilities. Both implementations were good because I was able to self-install, but it was a closed system where adding things like glass breakage sensors wasn't available. Any thoughts of the best way to go? I plan to document my path on here if there is interest.

1.  All depends on your connection (hardwired vs wireless) and your video storage (cloud vs hard drive) some cameras have motion sensors that in addition to starting a recording (if you use passive monitoring vs always on monitoring) you can use those sensors for other IOT activities (like turn on lights).

2.  No idea, I think some security packs have these but no direct knowledge of these.  I’d guess you need something that ties into your home hub (be it Apple Home, Google Home or another stand alone option like Smart Things) and is compatible with your preferred way you’ll use it (alarm vs simple notifications)

3.  Bulbs vs Switches.  Phillips Hue bulbs are easiest and compatible with everything but cost $$$.  Cheaper brand do the same but are harder to setup, manage, and less compatible.  Switches is honestly the best bang for your buck but have other issues as they don’t work well for every light and you need a neutral wire and the switch can’t be a traveler.

4.  Nest is best, but the competition has mostly caught up.  Again figure out what will work well with your whole system.  For example Nest is not good for Apple Home.

5.  Not something I have yet but there are DVR/hard drive products that you can connect you your home WiFi and access through an app in addition to the myriad of cloud based options.

6.  No idea (see 2)

7.  Alexa and Google we’re open and Apple reportedly is about to become more open with its Home hub.  Figure out a few items you want to spend money on and make sure they are all compatible with your Alexa or whatever before pulling the trigger.

• 4 weeks later...