2018 Seattle Mariners Thread

MC Fresh Breath

Mariners execs faced workplace complaints; three women received settlements

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/mariners-executives-kept-jobs-after-3-women-left-with-workplace-complaint-settlements/

Edit:    Apparently no complaints since 2010, where it looks like perhaps the course was corrected(?)  

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

Struggling Felix Hernandez knows he’s pitching for his place in Mariners’ rotation

SEATTLE 

Felix Hernandez has been at his best this season in the most charged environments. Opening Day against the Indians and a home game against the Boston Red Sox were testament to that.

But Thursday’s home start against the Toronto Blue Jays presents another level of emotion. Hernandez is not only pitching for the cheers of the Safeco Field faithful, he very well could be pitching for his future as a member of the Mariners’ rotation.

“I can’t think about that,” Hernandez said, just days after he was sitting on the floor in the clubhouse at Angel Stadium after allowing seven runs in 2 2/3 innings. It was an outing manager Scott Servais called, “noncompetitive.”

“I can’t think about anything right now,” he added. “I got another start Thursday, so I got to go out there and do my job.”

Whether Hernandez should have even earned this opportunity was in doubt until Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto put it to rest publicly on Monday.

Hernandez’s earned-run average has spiked to a career-high 5.58. Even with as much as he struggled and fought injuries last season, his ERA was still more than a run lower (4.36) in 2016 than this season.

And Hernandez, the former two-time American League ERA champion, was no more embarrassed about his play than against the Angels on Saturday.

“Last year I was hurt, the year before I was hurt and now I’m healthy and the results are not what I want,” Hernandez said. “I just got to figure out what’s going on.

“I’ve been living in the middle of the plate all the time. I just got to command my fastball.”

He insisted his back is fully healthy even after missing a start because of it, though before that he had allowed one run in eight innings against the Rays, one run in seven against the Red Sox, one in five innings against the Yankees and three in six innings against Baltimore.

Hernandez is a long way from his Cy Young form, and the Mariners know that. With their bulked up bullpen, five or six good innings from Hernandez is what they need.

What they can’t handle are starts like the 32-year-old had against the Angels.

“Obviously on Thursday, hopefully we get beyond where he’s been,” Dipoto said. “Particularly his last start. We need him to do those things. The Mariners have relied on Felix for a lot of years to take the ball and we’re going to rely on him again.

“Every time he takes the mound it’s going to mean a lot. But we’re not making any determination beforehand (on whether he’d stay in the rotation). He earns the opportunity to take the ball and he has earned that.

“If Felix gives us a good one, we’re going to be a better team. If he doesn’t, we’re going to have to recover and find another way to answer those innings. We’re just going to take it as very time through the rotation we’re going to assess where we are.”

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/mlb/seattle-mariners/article215937430.html#navlink=SecList