PS4 hard drive full

C-Man

Several years ago I bought the PS4 for my son for Xmas. Of course it was partly for me too but I digress. Somewhere along the way, I missed where PS4 games where you were buying the actual hard-copy discs were installing portions of the game on your hard drive -- not just saved games -- and now any time my son gets a new game we've got to delete entire games from the system. We are only talking about 8-10 games and only one of them was d/l from the Sony online store. Is that right?

Anyway, looks like the solution is to buy an external HD for $75-$80.

Man, there is nothing else on there other than FIFA, SW Battlefront, a couple of COD games, Madden 17 and maybe a couple other things. Oh, and Rocket League. I love that fucking game. You're going to have pry that one from my cold, dead fingers.

43 minutes ago, C-Man said:

.... Is that right?

Are you asking us if you need to delete games to be able to install new games because your hard drive is full?  It's really not a big deal.  You can reinstall them if you still have the disk (which you need to play them anyway).  How many games to you play simultaneously anyway?  ADHD generation.

Just now, bernorange said:

Are you asking us if you need to delete games to be able to install new games because your hard drive is full?  It's really not a big deal.  You can reinstall them if you still have the disk (which you need to play them anyway).  How many games to you play simultaneously anyway?  ADHD generation.

Man, I don't play hardly any of them. It's a PITA though when my son tries to pop in a new disc and we have to delete things. I just had no idea these games were installing this much data instead of reading completely off the disk in the old (PS3) days. I'll check tonight but I really think there are just 10 games at the most on there.

Major games will install anywhere from 20 to ~60 MB.  The game boxes will tell you how much HD space they need (see back cover).

When you have the PS4 on, go to Settings > Storage > Applications and you can see how much data each game is taking up on your HD.

You run into the same problem going all-digital. But you can delete games and redownload at a later time if you wish. You retain the licenses. Definitely a modern gaming problem, but I'll take the huge ass files for great looking/performing games. 

10 hours ago, texasjacket said:

Just replace standard 500 mb hard drive with a 2TB one 

http://www.ps4storage.com/ps4-hdd-upgrade-guide/

This is the answer.  I'm a game hoarder too, and I find myself jumping around or back to games from time to time.  I ended up putting a 1 TB hard drive in my PS3 too, and I'm getting ready to upgrade the PS4 soon.

I prefer the internal hard drives, but my FIL uses the external drive and it works fine for him.

Edited by ulukinatme

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 8:46 PM, Constant said:

You run into the same problem going all-digital. But you can delete games and redownload at a later time if you wish. You retain the licenses. Definitely a modern gaming problem, but I'll take the huge ass files for great looking/performing games. 

I just miss the old days of popping a game out of the case and the only requirement being the need to blow into the cartridge...

I need to replace the factory hard drive on mine. Never really thought about it until I went to dl the A game and it wouldn’t. All of mine are disc based, I like to resale or trade them in. I only buy a couple a year though.

How can I transfer the stuff from the drive in the PS4 to the new one when I order one. Would an external one make that easier?