Lessons from the Playbook: Mills and Wheels

Katfid54

By the way, the curl only 'fools' the safety in a zone look... Our miss against KSU was in man and the dude was just slow to recover against the route break (the route was run perfectly, too). I hope we come back to this if Shane is playing. He'll drop that in.

7 minutes ago, Snacks said:

By the way, the curl only 'fools' the safety in a zone look... Our miss against KSU was in man and the dude was just slow to recover against the route break (the route was run perfectly, too). I hope we come back to this if Shane is playing. He'll drop that in.

Your first sentence is true.  Your second sentence is not.  This is not man coverage:

E_58SD.gif

The safety is playing super shallow, but KSU is in a zone look here.  It just looks like man because of how tight up they're playing.  KSU is clearly keying run here--look at how hard the defenders bite on the run fake--but they then all drop to a zone look.  Duvernay is just gone by then.

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 2

Your first sentence is true.  Your second sentence is not.  This is not man coverage:
E_58SD.gif
The safety is playing super shallow, but KSU is in a zone look here.  It just looks like man because of how tight up they're playing.  KSU is clearly keying run here--look at how hard the defenders bite on the run fake--but they then all drop to a zone look.  Duvernay is just gone by then.
It looks like some kind of goofy mixed coverage... Everybody backside and under was in zone, but the trips side covered like man. Those guys were locked on from the snap... Even if it is all zone, on that particular play, the short route isnt what opened the deep route. The route was pressed well and the safety play was not good.

I completely agree with the concept, though. I love shallow cross/drag with a curl and a post (or post corner that causes a CB/S stresspoint)

I hope we have this as an audible that we can go to whenever we see a cover 2/3/4 zone.

Thanks for starting these football threads on the football board. Whenever we meet I have a couple beverages for you.
  • Like 1

Digging through some of our previous games this morning while drinking a cup of joe and realized that Duvernay's superman TD grab against Maryland was Mills, too.  Check it out:

Mills-Texas-MD-LI.jpg

3eKqHF.gif

dlwR1U.gif

There's an interesting formation wrinkle, here.  We've got Beck lined up to the same side as our wide receivers, meaning he's covered up and ineligible to receive a pass.  That obviously doesn't matter, as he just stays in to block.  That makes it interesting to me that Duvernay gets so wide open, given that we don't even have a playaction fake on this play.

• Like 2

Game planning... "He's not fast enough to cover Dev 1-1.  If we see EIGHT IN THE BOX (well, 6+2, but close enough) on an overloaded trips set, we're letting it fly."

Seriously, we have some guys that should be busting ass in this sort of set if the OL can hold up for two and a half beats.

4 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Digging through some of our previous games this morning while drinking a cup of joe and realized that Duvernay's superman TD grab against Maryland was Mills, too.  Check it out:

Mills-Texas-MD-LI.jpg

3eKqHF.gif

dlwR1U.gif

There's an interesting formation wrinkle, here.  We've got Beck lined up to the same side as our wide receivers, meaning he's covered up and ineligible to receive a pass.  That obviously doesn't matter, as he just stays in to block.  That makes it interesting to me that Duvernay gets so wide open, given that we don't even have a playaction fake on this play.

Sam needs some Applewhite to Wayne McGarity film to watch. Applewhite didn’t have a big arm but knew how to throw to a WR one on one (which was often with a Ricky). His recognition early and getting the ball out with plenty of air were executed perfectly. 

18 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Sam needs some Applewhite to Wayne McGarity film to watch. Applewhite didn’t have a big arm but knew how to throw to a WR one on one (which was often with a Ricky). His recognition early and getting the ball out with plenty of air were executed perfectly. 

He just needs reps throwing to a spot... drop it in the bucket and let the WR do the rest.

• Like 1

Sam is also pretty obviously worried (for some reason) about underthrowing Duvernay.  He doesn't put this kind of English on passes he throws to anyone else, but he's routinely leading Duvernay too far.  At some point, Sam was underthrowing Duvernay and he got coached to lead him more because of his speed.  For whatever reason, he and Duv can't get their timing right.

It's too bad, because Duvernay has the potential to hit home runs on the post route at a James Washington-esque pace in this concept.

The setup is also nice to fool zone defenders watching the QBs eyes.  If you run the dig or in route straight at the safety, that is the defender the QB reads to make sure the route is holding him.  The defense will be looking for an intermediate route at the hash marks, not deep over the middle until he makes his secondary read to ensure the post is open.