Catfishing, an openly gay councilman, and the Golden Triangle

austingirl

From Texas Monthly and set in Groves:

A young city councilman’s Grindr photos were leaked, and he now faces a recall election. Was there a conspiracy to oust him, and did it come from inside City Hall?

Would not surprise me a bit if it did come from City Hall. Lots of familiar surnames involved, for those of us who hail from the area.

• Like 3

My only concern would be if the councilman had been sending the pics unsolicited, or some Favre-ian attempt to 'persuade' someone's sexual interest. Seems to me he could have exercised better judgment with regard to content on the internet, but unless it was a child or was unsolicited, who really gives a fuck? 

The article doesn't say if the councilman is married, but I am assuming he is not. As a citizen, that would matter to me.  Again, could have used better judgment, but hardly a crime.

Edited by slorch

59 minutes ago, slorch said:

My only concern would be if the councilman had been sending the pics unsolicited, or some Favre-ian attempt to 'persuade' someone's sexual interest. Seems to me he could have exercised better judgment with regard to content on the internet, but unless it was a child or was unsolicited, who really gives a fuck? 

The article doesn't say if the councilman is married, but I am assuming he is not. As a citizen, that would matter to me.  Again, could have used better judgment, but hardly a crime.

He's not married. And this:

Some defended Coburn and agreed that he had done nothing wrong but was instead a victim of bigotry. Others claimed his sexual preference was irrelevant, but said what he did was “immoral” and that as a councilman he is held to a higher standard than the average citizen. But unlike other politicians’ sexting scandals, such as that of former New York congressman Anthony Weiner or Texas congressman Joe Barton, which had involved adulterous, predatory, or even criminal acts, Coburn had legally exchanged his photos with a consenting adult under a reasonable expectation of privacy. There was confusion among commenters over what Grindr is, and some mistakenly believed Coburn had posted the photos in a public forum.

Of course, it's never a good idea to post suggestive pics anywhere if one plans to be in the public eye, legal and consenting or not, but I guess this kid had to learn that the hard way. In front of one of the less forgiving populations he could've picked.