The Weekly Standard is dead.

F250

8 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Good riddance. Tucker skewered Bill Kristol, the brain behind the neocon movement in his latest book and it was delicious to read. I despise neocon foreign policy and the wars they brought about. Trump started the process to shed the Republican Party of the neocon cancer in transforming it to a nationalist party. I hope that process continues.

You realize this makes no sense given this administration's Saudi Arabia policy.

8 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Having the Party focused on our needs at home and not starting bullshit wars in the Middle East is a goal that I will support wholeheartedly. I’d rather have a Bannon led party in ideology than a war criminal Bush family led party any day of the week 

Donald Trump isn't focusing on our needs at home. He's hurting the people who put him in office. The tax bill and his trade policies are two perfect examples.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:53 PM, YChang said:

You realize in the eyes of your modern GOPers that you're still an Arab right? :P

Not only that, but Icono and I both have a history of sucking dicks, which usually doesn’t play well with nationalism. It’s puzzling to me why someone with a double whammy of nationalist labeled negatives would be so gung ho about pushing nationalism. 

Spoiler alert, Icono, they aren’t going to care that you say you’ve stopped sucking dicks. 

• Like 1

I think, if put in Trump's position, each of Brooks, Hayes, Kristol, Barnes, etc., would swiftly proceed with instigating a war with Iran that would easily kill a million people.  Some in Trump's admin surely want that as well, but I'm not sure if Trump does.  That by itself puts him on a higher moral plane than any of those blood thirsty shitheads.  

Edited by Fozzz
  • Like 1

Name someone who was published in TWS and does not share those views.  Hawkishness, particularly with respect to Iran and Iraq was the chief ideology defining that magazine.  I can't think of anyone published in TWS that does not fit that mold.  Maybe there was someone brought in specifically to whine about Nazis being deplatformed at college campuses or that anthropogenic climate change is a hoax or something who does not share those views.  But, overall, Trumpism is clearly morally superior to the ideology expounded by TWS.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 1:49 PM, Iconoclast Texan said:

Good riddance. Tucker skewered Bill Kristol, the brain behind the neocon movement in his latest book and it was delicious to read. I despise neocon foreign policy and the wars they brought about. Trump started the process to shed the Republican Party of the neocon cancer in transforming it to a nationalist party. I hope that process continues.

Uh, Bill Kristol was not the brain behind the neocon movement.  I think he was still in college when it was being formulated.  I know this is hard because it has the word "conservative" in it, but the NeoCon movement was born by Democrats.  It reached full bore under Carter, though Kirkpatrick and her crew really exploited presidents Reagan and Clinton to get their platforms to fruition.  

Anyway, I like Bill Kristol a lot.  They have a columnist that lives here in Austin and she was really the only reason I still read it on occasion.  Between their model and the current landscape, this isn't much of a surprise.  I can see National Review trying to win over their 370 subscribers somehow.  But this really is endemic of something more rotten in the Trump base than most Republicans will recognize.  Most thoughtful, mainstream Republicans found the Weekly Standard/Kristol types to be annoying, but my god---what must the Trump base thing of these guys?  

46 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Uh, Bill Kristol was not the brain behind the neocon movement.  I think he was still in college when it was being formulated.  I know this is hard because it has the word "conservative" in it, but the NeoCon movement was born by Democrats.  It reached full bore under Carter, though Kirkpatrick and her crew really exploited presidents Reagan and Clinton to get their platforms to fruition.  

Anyway, I like Bill Kristol a lot.  They have a columnist that lives here in Austin and she was really the only reason I still read it on occasion.  Between their model and the current landscape, this isn't much of a surprise.  I can see National Review trying to win over their 370 subscribers somehow.  But this really is endemic of something more rotten in the Trump base than most Republicans will recognize.  Most thoughtful, mainstream Republicans found the Weekly Standard/Kristol types to be annoying, but my god---what must the Trump base thing of these guys?  

National Review has leaned into Trumpism

50 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

That's fucking moronic.

You think Trump is more blood thirsty than the people who argued that Saddam was on the verge of developing nukes and in cahoots with Osama so that we could start a war that would kill a million Iraqis?  That’s an awfully high bar to clear. 

51 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

You think Trump is more blood thirsty than the people who argued that Saddam was on the verge of developing nukes and in cahoots with Osama so that we could start a war that would kill a million Iraqis?  That’s an awfully high bar to clear. 

No, I think you're a moron if you think put the question as the best possible scenario for President who doesn't fucking read and the worst for people (every person who ever wrote for the Weekly Standard) who were sold on a theory that a good portion of the population believed.

8 hours ago, tantric superman said:

No, I think you're a moron if you think put the question as the best possible scenario for President who doesn't fucking read and the worst for people (every person who ever wrote for the Weekly Standard) who were sold on a theory that a good portion of the population believed.

You ever think those public beliefs might have been conditioned by the propaganda churned out by right wing media and regurgitated by the Bush admin?  Is it your belief that those at TWS were duped into believing those conspiracy theories? lol.  Don't excuse their lies and their propaganda.  Those lies, in the aggregate, had a real cost for a great many people. 

Trump is no saint but I think he's personally skeptical of massive overseas intervention.  He had the chance to escalate in Syria but instead he chose to end Obama's CIA program that was exasperating the civil war in that country.  We will see what happens in Iran as there are certainly those in his admin who share the same views as those at TWS regarding what should be done with that nation, although again, I think Trump would be skeptical of an outright war with Iran.