The Weekly Standard is dead.

F250

I had a subscription for several years, it was a decent magazine with some fairly good pieces but it did promote a flavor of conservatism that I really do not like. Anyways, they are gone now, Bill Kristol will be moving to New Zealand to live out his life in exile.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Is there any room in the GOP or conservativism in general for anyone who doesn't pledge complete fealty to Trump?

No.  No there is not.  It's been apparent since the beginning, and now, it's all over but the crying.

There is the Trump party.  And nothing else.

And as such, it is a party wholly devoid of intellectual foundation.

Good riddance. Tucker skewered Bill Kristol, the brain behind the neocon movement in his latest book and it was delicious to read. I despise neocon foreign policy and the wars they brought about. Trump started the process to shed the Republican Party of the neocon cancer in transforming it to a nationalist party. I hope that process continues.

Good riddance.

But that may be too optimistic. Before the Gulf War no one had a clue how far advanced Saddam's nuclear weapons program was. According to the Federation of American Scientists, even with an intrusive inspections regime, "Iraq might be able to construct a nuclear explosive before it was detected." Today, no one knows how close Saddam is to having a nuclear device. What we do know is that every month that passes brings him closer to the prize. -The chemical weapon VX is the most toxic poison known to man. Ten milligrams--one drop--can kill a human being. In the mid-1990s, Iraq admitted producing VX in large quantities. When U.N. inspectors left Iraq at the end of 1998, they believed Iraq maintained 41 different sites capable of producing VX in a matter of weeks. They also believed Iraq possessed enough precursor materials to produce over 200 tons of the poison, enough to kill hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people

https://www.weeklystandard.com/robert-kagan-and-william-kristol/what-to-do-about-iraq-2064

Lies in service of mass murder.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What's funny is that you think that's a rebuttal.

It’s the truth. I have no problem acknowledging where the true inspiration for the new GOP is coming from. The scary thing for you and others is that if Trump was less of an idiot, more Presidential and not as corrupt as he seems, the Bannon agenda would be at the 55% approval range. Once Trump leaves, we’ll get some more polished that will go back to expressing the new GOP agenda using the tried and true dog whistle tactics but in an artful way to not embarrass suburban housewife into not voting for that GOP.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Well at least y'all are finally honest about the goal.

Having the Party focused on our needs at home and not starting bullshit wars in the Middle East is a goal that I will support wholeheartedly. I’d rather have a Bannon led party in ideology than a war criminal Bush family led party any day of the week 

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

It’s the truth. I have no problem acknowledging where the true inspiration for the new GOP is coming from. The scary thing for you and others is that of Trump was less of an idiot, more Presidential and not as corrupt as he seems, the Bannon agenda would be at the 55% aaproval range. Once Trump leaves, we’ll get some more polished that will go back to expressing the new GOP agenda using the tried and true dog whistle tactics but in an artful way to not embarrass suburban house into not voting for that GOP.

The fact that you think that "a more artful xenophobe/racist would get higher support" is also a rebuttal is perhaps even more humorous.

4 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

It’s the truth. I have no problem acknowledging where the true inspiration for the new GOP is coming from. The scary thing for you and others is that of Trump was less of an idiot, more Presidential and not as corrupt as he seems, the Bannon agenda would be at the 55% aaproval range. Once Trump leaves, we’ll get some more polished that will go back to expressing the new GOP agenda using the tried and true dog whistle tactics but in an artful way to not embarrass suburban house into not voting for that GOP.

It's pretty likely the democrats win the white house in 2020 and hold it until 2028. I think that too many supporters of white nationalism are going to be dead by then for it to still be a viable political platform.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

The fact that you think that "a more artful xenophobe/racist would get higher support" is also a rebuttal is perhaps even more humorous.

The elder Bush whose ass everyone was kissing during his funeral only became President because of the Willie Horton ads that he ran. That it didn’t define him illustrates the power of skillful dog whistle tactics to define and demonize the enemy. 

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Trump is currently at 46% approval rating. You don’t think that a 10% bump would be possible with someone more skilled. Take a look at Marine Le Pen National Rally Party and the Conservative party that remade itself in Sweden by being anti-Muslim immigration. It’s very fertile ground to cultivate.

19 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I’m in complete agreement with you. Bill Kristol has been angling and advocating for war with Iran. The loss of lives and treasure in Iraq wasn’t enough for that monster. He is anti-Trump because had the temerity to question the reasons why we invaded Iraq and for calling it a mistake. He can burn in Hell.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The elder Bush whose ass everyone was kissing during his funeral only became President because of the Willie Horton ads that he ran. That it didn’t define him illustrates the power of skillful dog whistle tactics to define and demonize the enemy. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5578831

Are you, the Trump fellator, accusing someone of taking advantage of racial prejudices?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes, it's a parody.  The problem is, that parody has a 40% audience share and occupies the White House.  

I'm glad you put that 40% in a post. I do not want to un-ignore that fucker, but his notion that the agenda of hatred and evil would get 55% approval is idiotic. That 40% is both the ceiling and the floor for the "Bannon ideology" (to the extent the loose connection of policies driven by fear and ignorance can be called an ideology). And that number goes down as boomers continue to die off.

Edited by softlynow

22 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I’m in complete agreement with you. Bill Kristol has been angling and advocating for war with Iran. The loss of lives and treasure in Iraq wasn’t enough for that monster. He is anti-Trump because had the temerity to question the reasons why we invaded Iraq and for calling it a mistake. He can burn in Hell.

So you're dovish on Iran and presumably support the Trump administration and are anti-obama? Interrrrresstttting.. 

Also, if I read correctly above you spent money and time to read a book authored by Tucker Carlson? I guess the latter might explain the former. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, elfenix said:

He was just advocating for invading Iran last week (granted, that invasion would have been 40 years ago).

Maybe he was on a bender, dunno.

40 years ago had a lot of different facts on the ground. We had casus belli with the storming of the US embassy, the mullahs weren’t firmly entrenched yet and there was an endgame in sight. Unfortunately, none of that exists now.

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Good riddance. Tucker skewered Bill Kristol, the brain behind the neocon movement in his latest book and it was delicious to read. I despise neocon foreign policy and the wars they brought about. Trump started the process to shed the Republican Party of the neocon cancer in transforming it to a nationalist party. I hope that process continues.

You realize in the eyes of your modern GOPers that you're still an Arab right? :P

3 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

40 years ago had a lot of different facts on the ground. We had casus belli with the storming of the US embassy, the mullahs weren’t firmly entrenched yet and there was an endgame in sight. Unfortunately, none of that exists now.

So I take it you are not a huge fan of Bolton, Pompeo and Trump's policies re Iran? 

Stephen Hayes, the editor in chief at The Weekly Standard, had a background of investigative journalism and was more dedicated to being right than first.  I don't agree with a lot of their thoughts on policy, but it was always informative and interesting.  And they always had solid writers.  

I don't know if it's more of the Trumpian bullshit as it is the inability to survive the clickbait, fear mongering bullshit and the histrionic era of today.  Being calculated, thorough, illuminating and smart is probably just a bad business model in this climate.  Cheap nonsense rules.  Huffington Post puts out some of the most inane garbage I've ever seen.  Everyone is full of shit and full of themselves.  I don't think work like Christopher Hitchens and George Will stand a chance against nonsense that is aimed at a seventh grader's emotions.  A publication can probably survive by having only one writer smarter than all of their readers, but you can't have an entire panel of smart people.  I've noticed that the 'National Review' has begun to sneak some Breitbart tripe in the mix.  That won't be enough, though.  The smartest play is to be as dumb as possible.      

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Stephen Hayes, the editor in chief at The Weekly Standard, had a background of investigative journalism and was more dedicated to being right than first.  I don't agree with a lot of their thoughts on policy, but it was always informative and interesting.  And they always had solid writers.  

I don't know if it's more of the Trumpian bullshit as it is the inability to survive the clickbait, fear mongering bullshit and the histrionic era of today.  Being calculated, thorough, illuminating and smart is probably just a bad business model in this climate.  Cheap nonsense rules.  Huffington Post puts out some of the most inane garbage I've ever seen.  Everyone is full of shit and full of themselves.  I don't think work like Christopher Hitchens and George Will stand a chance against nonsense that is aimed at a seventh grader's emotions.  A publication can probably survive by having only one writer smarter than all of their readers, but you can't have an entire panel of smart people.  I've noticed that the 'National Review' has begun to sneak some Breitbart tripe in the mix.  That won't be enough, though.  The smartest play is to be as dumb as possible.      

Commentary magazine is pretty good for what you’re looking for. I’m going to cancel my subscription now that Sohrab Ahmadi left. I am pretty sure he was the only non-Jew writer they had.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

17 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

William F. Buckley and Abraham Lincoln are turning over in their graves. 

lol Buckley was fucking garbage.  If you're going to refer to a Republican who was worth a shit, refer to Thad Stevens, whom had much better politics than Lincoln.  

Edited by Fozzz

9 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

51qd1zYAVYL._SX356_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

That's actually a legitimate point.  The Weekly Standard was collectively fucked on the run up to the Iraq War.  So were large swaths of Democratic Senators as well.  Majority of the country was in a fervor for a response. 

I should've anticipated your ability to turn a even a thread about champagne and honey dripping off of a titty to the Iraq War, though.  

14 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Icono constantly praising ole Tucker as some sort of intellectual luminary never gets old.

giphy.gif

It really doesn't.  Praising as a genius a xenophobe who simply re-states -- sometimes damned near word-for-word - the same lazy racist bullshit people were spouting about the italians and irish 130 years ago....well, that's a special kind of self-ownage.

3 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Well said, transitioning from a neocon cancer to a nationalist cancer is a good description.

2 hours ago, YChang said:

You realize in the eyes of your modern GOPers that you're still an Arab right? :P

Pretty much. If you ain't white, you ain't right. The Vietnamese community, historically a Republican stronghold, learned this the other day.

1 minute ago, F250 said:

Pretty much. If you ain't white, you ain't right. The Vietnamese community, historically a Republican stronghold, learned this the other day.

I'm sure if push comes to tug....Icono and Pence can work something out so Icono can stay in the country.

• Like 1