Forced to use ISP's router

I live in Plano and use Frontier Communications as my internet provider.  I have had them for two years and my initial promo price is up.  I called to try to get a new promo.  I was informed that they now require you to use their wireless router which is a $10 per month rental fee.

Does anyone have any experience with this?   I thought I had read several years ago where there was a law that the ISP's could not force you to use their equipment.

1 hour ago, TexasGary said:

The package is 200mbps / 200mbps for $88.99 (I would assume that doesn't include the usual taxes, fees, and handling)

If that doesn't include the gateway rental, you're gonna be paying around $108 for 200/200 service. Unless you live on a farm in BFE, that's high.

I'd hop on the Spectrum site and see what they charge for your house. I'm seeing 200Mb available in some areas of Plano for $45/month (+ tax).

It looks like I can get 400mbps down from Spectrum for $45 per month for the first 12 months.  I can't find what the upload speed is.  Their site doesn't say what it goes up to after 12 months.  They also want a $50 installation fee but they don't charge for their modem.  I am going to see if Frontier will match that price since their upload speed is the same as the download speed.

10 hours ago, TexasGary said:

It looks like I can get 400mbps down from Spectrum for $45 per month for the first 12 months.  I can't find what the upload speed is.  Their site doesn't say what it goes up to after 12 months.  They also want a $50 installation fee but they don't charge for their modem.  I am going to see if Frontier will match that price since their upload speed is the same as the download speed.

I'm on spectrum too.  While the modem is free, that's without wireless.  They charge like $10 for the wireless modem.  I went ahead and just bought my own with them.