Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

Of course tonight is all about 7/8/78.  I have an aunt who got married while this show was occurring.  I still remember that night like it was yesterday...I wish I had been at Red Rocks for the Wharf Rat!

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, longtime Dead fan (first show in 91) and in hindsight my mind is blown how Mayer pinch hit for such an iconic figure. Yeah, not the same with just Bob and Mickey but what a fun reinvented ride.
I was Skeptical myself and opted out of a second show in Boulder in 2016 for that reason. 20 or shows later all over the country and it just got better and better. This year was fire. Boulder, night 3 in Boston, and the SF shows were amazing.
  • Like 1

^^^ Great show. Maybe the best show I never saw. Tried but failed. Long story. Couldn’t find tickets but did come away with an excellent, crystal clear vial of liquid LSD. That Looks Like Rain was awesome. Streaming audio doesn’t do justice to Mickey laying down thunder on the Beam.

Came here to post this. First, RIP Jerry. Now 28 years later, RIP Robbie.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 6:28 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

^^^ Great show. Maybe the best show I never saw. Tried but failed. Long story. Couldn’t find tickets but did come away with an excellent, crystal clear vial of liquid LSD. That Looks Like Rain was awesome. Streaming audio doesn’t do justice to Mickey laying down thunder on the Beam.

Came here to post this. First, RIP Jerry. Now 28 years later, RIP Robbie.

I got to hear Phil sing Broken Arrow at my fist show (6/13/93).  Phil sang at all 3 of my shows (Box of Rain and Tom Thumb Blues).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't listen to "drums" very often, but they just went straight into from "Around and Around".  It's been fucking magical!  Maybe it's because I've traveled this week for work and haven't gotten high in several days? I don't know what it is, but this one spoke to me.

1988 reminds me so much of 1976.  You can tell they are really getting it together, but aren't quite there.  The Dear Mr Fantasy>Hey Jude>Sugar Magnolia from the 88 show I posted above is good, but you can hear just how much better they were in July of 89.  They play the same sequence at the end of the 7/2/89 show and it's so much better. 

https://archive.org/details/gd89-07-02.nak.8243.sbefail.shnf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didn’t get around to posting one of my favorite shows the other night. Ordinarily I would have had several bourbons and one hits over the weekend and listened to this show.  It’s a fantastic show and I know I’ve posted it before, but I don’t care. Give it a listen when you get a chance.

Well, tonight is the first night in a while I've felt good enough to have some drinks and listen to the good ole' Grateful Dead.  I'm working my way through the PNW box-set at the moment.  I've been on a China Cat>I know You Rider kick lately and there is a great one here.

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta weird look from the folks inside the house as I parked in their driveway off a very busy Enfield Road to snap those pics.  But I screamed, "It's okay, I'm Surly and I saw 23 Dead shows."  So pretty sure I'm gonna end up a Nextdoor karen feed by tomorrow.  

Hot as a pistol, but cool inside.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm starting out the long weekend with the Good ole Grateful Dead!  The only show from this date is a show from Dallas in '78 with terrible sound.  So I'm just bouncing around from show to show at the moment.  I've been on a Black Throated Wind Kick lately for who knows what reason.  The one I posted just last week was a pretty good one.  I may check out a few others too.  I've also been on a little Lost Sailor/Saint of Circumstance kick too.  I may look for some of those.  Any good ones y'all recommend?

• Hook 'Em 1