Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

Now, from 1987. I’ve spoken about my first show before. Pittsburgh 7/6/87. I didn’t know any of the Dead songs. I didn’t even know either of the Dylan songs they played but I had a friend there to tell me they were Dylan songs. (Desolation Blues and Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door.) But I knew some of the covers like Mama Tried and Big River. I was thrown to my feet dancing when they played Good Lovin’. And they encored with Johnny B. Goode. I knew all those from the radio.

They had special guests from the Neville Btothers. (Who would also appear at their NYE show that year.) I’d never heard Iko Iko before and it would be years before I learned it’s history. But I was already familiar with a couple other songs they played just from watching tv as a child.

Like Man Smart, Woman Smarter from watching I Love Lucy:

Imagine my surprise hearing that. And they played “Day-O,” aka The Banana Boat Song, which I first saw performed by Harry Belafonte on the Flip Wilson Show and then again on The Muppet Show. And, sure enough, they’re both up on YouTube.

Now I can close some tabs I’ve had open for awhile. 

My son had a pool party with his best friend and their girlfriends today.  Now it's time for the old man to have a little fun.  The show starts with Morning Dew which just seems a really odd way to start a show.  I guess I'm just used to it as the perfect late second set song, but this version is really good. 

I'm kicking off the 3 day weekend with some bourbon, weed and the Grateful Dead.  I hope all of the Deadheads out there are having as good a night as I am. I'm kicking off the weekend with one of my favorite shows, 6/18/76.  This is not the whole show, but the whole show is available with some 6/21/76 mixed in as the Download Series Volume 4. 

I'm still up drinking and smoking.  Right now, I'm listening to the songs after Space for 7/2/89, 7/4/89. and 7/7/89.

Space>The Wheel>Dear Mr. Fantasy>Hey Jude

Space>All Along the Watch Tower>Morning Dew

Space>The Other One> Wharf Rat

It does not get any better than that, IMO.  Those 3 shows are spectacular. 

Happy Summer Solstice! 33 years ago today at Shoreline. I watched this on PPV. At the start of the show, Bobby is experiencing technical difficulties with his amp. Jerry leads the band into a Hide Away jam, just the second (and last) time they played it. Bobby joins in, then gets more static and he kicks his amp. Then they get everything just exactly perfect and finish the jam. It’s a good show.

Here’s the first time they played Hide Away. From the Harding Theater in San Francisco. Talk about a deep cut. I had no idea what it was at the time. I saw a setlist that listed it as Green Onions but I knew that wasn’t right.

And here’s the Freddy King version.

On 6/19/2022 at 8:25 PM, Born to Run said:

St Louis, Cinn, and Chi confirmed. Who is going to be shaking on Shakedown? First two shows are going to be hot as balls FML. Staying two nights in Cincy so I can sample that "chili".

Might have psilo in Cinn for a reset.

I'll see you at Wrigley. 

The codeword, as always, is "muledick." 

Whadyaknow? The GD Movie is up on YouTube. Such a classic. I haven’t watched it in years. I’ll have to throw on the DVD sometime soon. That is of course a better way to watch it with better quality audio. But if you’ve never seen it then you should definitely check it out. I’ve watched it in a psychedelic state at least a couple of times and it definitely passes the acid test. It’s a masterpiece. Man, it would’ve been a blast to have been able to see them back in ‘74.

Happy Summer Solstice! 33 years ago today at Shoreline. I watched this on PPV. At the start of the show, Bobby is experiencing technical difficulties with his amp. Jerry leads the band into a Hide Away jam, just the second (and last) time they played it. Bobby joins in, then gets more static and he kicks his amp. Then they get everything just exactly perfect and finish the jam. It’s a good show.
[/url] Here’s the first time they played Hide Away. From the Harding Theater in San Francisco. Talk about a deep cut. I had no idea what it was at the time. I saw a setlist that listed it as Green Onions but I knew that wasn’t right.
And here’s the Freddy King version.

I was born on the Solstice. Great show last night. Nice Birthday. St Louis is pretty meh, but the venue was alright. Stoked for tonight, then Reds game tomorrow and some "Chili"

Very political/Roe v. Wade vibe for the first songs of each set. 

Good show. Truckin' was really rocking. Stella Blue was delightful. 

Encore scribbled out, just like the Friday Wrigley show last year. Some disappointed muttering about no encore, but they played a long time, and I think they will make it up tomorrow (as I thought last year, and was eventually validated). But we might have some weather delays. 

Billy came out and played a little bit at the end, so he's apparently doing better. 

20220625_001013.jpg

20220624_184740.jpg

Screenshot_20220625-012320_Google.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

I was at this show. The night before was better. Got a H.C. Sunshine and Crazy Fingers. It’s not listed in Deadbase but we also got a pretty sweet Spanish Jam. (I’m certain it was the night before but there’s always a slim chance I could be wrong.)

But this seems topical. And I think it’s one of the more underrated late era Garcia/Hunter tunes. And seriously, look up 3/24/93 because that was a great setlist.

• Like 1

Very political/Roe v. Wade vibe for the first songs of each set. 
Good show. Truckin' was really rocking. Stella Blue was delightful. 
Encore scribbled out, just like the Friday Wrigley show last year. Some disappointed muttering about no encore, but they played a long time, and I think they will make it up tomorrow (as I thought last year, and was eventually validated). But we might have some weather delays. 
Billy came out and played a little bit at the end, so he's apparently doing better. 
20220625_001013.thumb.jpg.bfd292713c5e4a9a3e815da9bb621cc3.jpg
20220624_184740.thumb.jpg.dc89eba7b8b76e696ae71a5341d22fd3.jpg
Screenshot_20220625-012320_Google.thumb.jpg.4eb50ab01d795595bae2d9e7f66cbb01.jpg
Nice, I was about in about the same spot, except between home and first.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm predicting a Shakedown open with Hell in a Bucket encore tonight, with a Black Throated Wind and a Lazy Lightning somewhere too.

Last night I predicted an Eyes of the World opener, Truckin' to open the second set, with a Stella encore. Close but no cigar on all three, and each set opener felt obvious in hindsight... 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

Good show last night. Felt a lot more crowded somehow. Speedway and Days Between were probably my highlights from each set. 

Weather turned out to be perfect - a little drizzle right before the show, but no storms, downpours, lightning, or delays. 

Drums/Space felt far more intense on Friday. Different crowd/band energy overall on each night though... 

20220625_153557.jpg

20220625_173827.jpg

20220625_180659.jpg

20220625_181718.jpg

20220626_004543.jpg

20220626_014010.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

This is topical.

I was at this show too. The end of a 5-night run starting at Deer Creek just outside Indianapolis. That’s a great venue. Tinley Park? Not so much. It was brand new. On the first night the parking situation was so bad as they were checking every passenger of every car to make sure they had a ticket that traffic was backed up for miles. As showtime approached, fans just abandoned their vehicles on the highway and walked to the show. To their credit, the cops called out the tow trucks and moved all the vehicles off to the side of the road. They were on loudspeakers after the show telling everyone to get to their cars and get lost or their vehicles would be impounded. All-in-all a pretty fair deal.

This was Brent’s last show. This isn’t the best Cassidy in the world. But you might not have heard it. And there’s a young woman named Cassidy who’s going to be getting death threats so this is for her. Today, she’s the best Cassidy in the world.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tonight is 6/29/84 from WTB' backyard of Cuyahoga Falls, OH.  Pretty good so far.  Bertha openers are always fantastic. I'm still in the first set, but the "They Love Each Other" is really good for an 80's version.  The "Bird Song" was very nice.  It started out like they were going to play it in a 73-74 jazzy style before transitioning into 80's style.  I'm really looking forward to the first set closer of "Don't Ease Me In" and a second set "Around and Around". 

42 minutes ago, Hate said:

Tonight is 6/29/84 from WTB' backyard of Cuyahoga Falls, OH.  Pretty good so far.  Bertha openers are always fantastic. I'm still in the first set, but the "They Love Each Other" is really good for an 80's version.  The "Bird Song" was very nice.  It started out like they were going to play it in a 73-74 jazzy style before transitioning into 80's style.  I'm really looking forward to the first set closer of "Don't Ease Me In" and a second set "Around and Around". 

Blossom is a great venue. I’ve been there many times. It’s not exactly in my back yard. It’s a 90 minute drive. But oh, man, I could tell you lots of stories. From the little tiny town, the bar where heads hung out, to getting busted, to having to go up there to appear in court, to being let off by a friendly judge. (I don’t think “judge” is the right word. I think it was a mayoral court.)

I never saw the Dead there. One of my greatest regrets in life is not going to see Frank Zappa there in 1988. I had just discovered the Dead the year before and that’s where I was devoting all of my money and vacation time. I figured there would be other chances to see Frank. I was wrong.

But I saw Phish there a number of times. I saw Radiohead there twice. And one of the feathers in my concert going cap is that I saw Jefferson Airplane there on their reunion tour in 1989. They jammed. That was an amazing show. (With a Hot Tuna mini set for good measure.)

They have huge grass parking lots. There are some paved lots close to the venue but I’ve never parked there and don’t know what kind of VIP you have to be to get there, and I’m not sure I’d even want to park there. The scene in those expansive grass lots is pretty cool. It’s a long walk to the venue but that’s okay. And the venue is fairly unique in that there’s a whole lot of wooded space behind the lawn where there are pathways and almost a park-like setting. The only other venue I’ve been to that comes close to that was the Greek Theatre at Cal Berkeley. But it’s not like Blossom.

AE27C377-935F-4AE4-9851-8CF240FAF9B3.png.5f4979f7fc2a22b65c52cc59fa15da0c.png

08E0323D-DBEA-4133-A5D6-831CF2C6A96A.thumb.png.0f39bd5a348fcb4abf9d387ae7decfb9.png

E21EC42C-507E-4B8F-B3E9-2285FD874A66.thumb.jpeg.736697caacde2d7d9b89af171a6cd907.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Looks like a badass place to see the Grateful Dead.  I have to say that the second set Wheel>TOO>Black Peter>Around and Around was stellar.  Great show overall. I do wish there was soundboard available as I thought Phil and Brent were not high enough in the mix on this particular recording.

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

Looks like a badass place to see the Grateful Dead.  I have to say that the second set Wheel>TOO>Black Peter>Around and Around was stellar.  Great show overall. I do wish there was soundboard available as I thought Phil and Brent were not high enough in the mix on this particular recording.

Check out the Blossom show from ‘85. 

I'm listening to the LL Rain from 5/26/77 at the moment.  I'd love nothing more than to be able to sit on the porch, get high as a goat, get drunk on bourbon during the middle of a tropical storm and listen to LL Rain from any era. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh! I also saw Traffic at Blossom in ‘94. It was July 28. They’d been opening for the Dead at some shows that year. I saw them open on three nights in Vegas. The night before they opened for the Dead at Buckeye Lake, they played their own show at Blossom. That was another highlight in my concert going career. Excellent show.

The next night at Buckeye Lake was my last Dead show. I had been to see Phish on 6/21 in Cincinnati (check the Phish thread for that story and video) and then on 6/22 in Columbus (official vault release Live Phish 10). The next day I boarded a plane for Vegas to see the Dead at the Sam Boyd Silver Bowl at UNLV. The youthful energy that Phish brought to the stage was in stark contrast to the aging Dead. I had tickets for the Deer Creek and Buckeye Lake Dead shows and after that I hopped off the bus. I’m glad I wasn’t at the Dead show at Deer Creek in ‘95 when “fans” broke into the venue. Shameful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was completely oblivious to it, but apparently "fans" broke into the 6/13/93 Buffalo show that I saw.  I was at midfield in Rich Stadium.  It was the summer after the Oilers had lost that game to the Bills in epic fashion and the Cowboys had curb stomped the Bills in the Super Bowl.  It was pretty cool to be on the field there for me.  I always enjoy watching Buffalo home games for that reason.  I think my son is tired of me pointing to the filed and saying "I saw the Grateful Dead right there!".

Tonight is 7/1/79 from the Henry Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, WA.  It's a funky recording.  It switches to Bobby and Brent really high in the mix to Jerry's vocals being dominate.  Not nearly enough Phil, but the Mississippi Half-Step starter is pretty damn fine!

Edit:  They fixed the mixing issues pretty quickly and goddamn this is a really good sounding show.  This is one of my least listened to years, but I am really impressed with the sound in this show so far.  I also have to admit that the stand alone Franklin's out of Mississippi Half-Step was pretty damn good. 

Edited by Hate