Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

50 minutes ago, Druggist said:

I got Touch once , Mississippi half step twice, and Jack Straw once.  I got Dave’s 39 in the mail today and can’t wait to give it a listen.  Most early 80s shows, other than 11-30-80, fail to grab my attention,  so I hope this one does.

Enjoy the Bob Star filler.

On 6/12/2021 at 8:09 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

A weirdo? LOL. No Deadhead wants to be called that!

A dickhead? I’d respond to that by saying you’re a fucking moron. The Dead are the world’s premiere psychedelic band and if you claim to be a fan but aren’t into all that psychedelic stuff then you deserve to be mocked. Relentlessly.

Do you know your history? Do you know about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters and the Acid Tests and Owlsley Stanley, and so on? The Dead designed their performances to be friendly to the psychedelic experience, taking you on a trip, taking you out there, and bringing you back down easy. (For the most part.)

Go back through the thread and you can see Kimock’s connection to the Dead family. If you weren’t already aware of it then you really are an amateur. Am I overqualified to post here? Maybe it should be renamed the “Grateful Dead Amateur Thread” because it’s just for casual fans with a narrow interest in the band and their music.

Jerry thinks you’re a jerk. And to all the young hippie lurkers out there, who are you going to listen to? A guy who calls himself “Hate” or a guy who calls himself “Druggist?” Forget about me. I know how I’m answering that question.

😛

Oh no you can't like the dead if you aren't gonna do shrooms or Sid.  I'll eat some shrooms for sure, and did acid at Dead shows in the 70's -80's-90's, but tying your appreciation to music because of drugs is about the mother fuckingest stupid ass comment I've ever read.   That's like saying if you don't wear tye dye you aren't a real Dead head.

I have the Dead on my short rotation list, and listen to 'em a couple hours most days.  I'll be seeing them 2x next week, and 2x again in Boulder in the Fall. If I get shrooms for the shows cool, if not still cool. It's about the music, not about the drugs.  Keasey eventually suggested trying to move beyond having to take psychedelics to experience a trip.  Their shows today aren't even close to something you need shrooms to "experience correctly". Those kinds of shows, and days are long gone.

Hate, I lurk here quite a bit, and appreciate the links you bring to the thread.  I'll be listening, as I typically do to WNRN in Charlottesville, Va. tomorrow morning for 3 hours of their weekly Dead and Phriends show, lots of great live stuff from every decade. 9:00 am to noon EST.  I'm pretty sure it can be streamed thru a couple different sources.

We're amateurs, and you're the expert ?  Jesus Christ you're a tool.  

• Like 1

So I was pretty drunk last night when I posted that and I thought it may have been the alcohol talking.  I didn't finish the show because I was too drunk and had to go to bed.  I'm finishing it now and I did not overstate it.  This is a great show.  It's absolutely going into the rotation for road trips and late night drinking sessions. 

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Soooo??? How was the show?

Kick off concert of the tour was great, but rain shortened  with a half hour thunder delay and they have a hard stop at 11:00 so no encore.

They were tight, and ready to get on the road .  You had to show a vaccine card which slowed up getting inside the ampitheater a bit.

Touch of grey, and shakedown for the openers, but Tennessee Jed, new speedway boogie franklins tower, not fade away, the wheel, brown eyed girl , the deal, playing in the band were all highlights .

Bristow, Va. tomorrow unless we bale on the high rain probability.  Then we hit Denver Oct. 22,23

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

If anyone is interested, I have an extra Lawn ticket for the October 15th show at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion at the The Woodlands for sale.  

It's part of the "Dancing in the Streets" package.  It includes:

- One (1) lawn ticket to see Dead & Company

- Early venue entrance and access to the lawn

- One (1) limited edition, screen printed Dead & Co. 2021 tour poster - signed and numbered by the poster artist

- One (1) commemorative concert ticket

- One (1) commemorative laminate

** after all the fees, it originally cost me $168.  Willing to take $150 for it.  I can transfer the ticket to you directly from Live Nation.  PM if interested.  NOTE:  you will either need to show proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID test resulted within 48 hours of the show to get entry into the venue.  Thanks, everyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wednesday night show in Bristow ,Va.

A really great show, one of the mellowest, laid back shows I've seen in a while. It seemed like they were going for a country feel, but there were some very cool jazz feeling numbers.

All the songs were just a little bit different in how they were arranged I thought. It's definitely feeling like the band is moving more along Mayers musical direction.

Space was damn good, and the video, and graphics of Mickey Hart doing his thing was off the charts. 

• Like 1

It’s a beautiful summer night in SE Texas. It’s still hot, but there is a nice breeze and a full moon. I just poured my first drink and took a little hit from my dugout. I had to listen to Standing on the Moon 7/7/89 for such a great night! I’ll probably be all over the place tonight and listen to a little bit of everything.

On 8/17/2021 at 9:49 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Kick off concert of the tour was great, but rain shortened  with a half hour thunder delay and they have a hard stop at 11:00 so no encore.

They were tight, and ready to get on the road .  You had to show a vaccine card which slowed up getting inside the ampitheater a bit.

Touch of grey, and shakedown for the openers, but Tennessee Jed, new speedway boogie franklins tower, not fade away, the wheel, brown eyed girl , the deal, playing in the band were all highlights .

Bristow, Va. tomorrow unless we bale on the high rain probability.  Then we hit Denver Oct. 22,23

Pretty much my dream setlist there as Touch of Grey and PITB are the two songs I want to see Live most. 

Since it's Saturday Part 2, I figured I would have some drinks and listen to a show.  Tonight it's 9/5/85 from Red Rocks.  I'll always regret not seeing a show at Red Rocks.  I seem to remember that they were scheduling a show there in the late summer/early fall just before Jerry died.  I had a friend that had just moved to Denver and was in the ticket business, so there were about 20 of us that were all going to make the trip. 

From the show tonight, they sound really solid,  Brent has the Hammond B3 and I haven't heard any of that odd keyboard yet.  And Jerry is huge.  Damn, I forget just how bad of shape he was in during that time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Cross posting this from the gameday experience thread just because the topic of printable tickets came up and I mentioned how my collection of concert ticket stubs is a cherished possession. I can’t imagine how empty life would be just to collect printouts, let alone a bunch of UPC symbols or QR Codes on your phone.

GD mail order tickets were works of art and I valued the ritual of filling out my 3x5 index card to their exacting specifications and paying for the required postal money orders to get them. And the one time I made a mistake they returned it to me with a hand written note explaining what I did wrong. And that happened before tickets went on sale through TicketMaster so I didn’t get shut out. Their customer service was the best because they actually cared. That’s rare these days.

6128AB3D-2FC0-4A4D-9215-A75AE5E29B4B.jpeg

Edited by WhatTheBuck

I'm a fan of the original song, but this was a really great twist on it by Jerry Garcia Band (not sure the year, but think it was late 80's in 

Berkeley.  On Garcia Live Volume II   "Tangled Up in Blue" 

really outstanding version.  

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

I'm a fan of the original song, but this was a really great twist on it by Jerry Garcia Band (not sure the year, but think it was late 80's in 

Berkeley.  On Garcia Live Volume II   "Tangled Up in Blue" 

really outstanding version.

I’m not seeing anything but Jerry Garcia Live Vol. II was from the Greek Theatre on 8/5/90. I’ve got that on CD. And I can’t think of any Dylan song that I don’t like better hearing performed by the Dead than by Dylan. That goes for a lot of Dead covers. 

Speaking of covers, as far as I can recall, the first time I heard them cover Broken Arrow by Robbie Robertson live and in person was in Vegas in ‘94. I was already a fan of the song. It was so slick and polished. But you put it in the hands of the Dead and it becomes loose and reckless. And Phil isn’t a good singer and no one cares. It was like it was your friends, brothers, or roommates performing and it was all good. And the emotion still came through. You can go to archive.org to find that Vegas show. I’m just going to post the one I found from ‘93.

The original:

The Dead version:

• Hook 'Em 1

I love Phil doing Broken Arrow. I really enjoy the version from the 30 Trips compilation,.  His voice quality is questionable, but his cadence fucking owns and sells the song.  

And speaking of Dylan, the Visions of Johanna from 95 on the 30 Trips release kills.  I love finding good live versions of anything from their last couple years since that is the era In which I saw them.  They feel special in that I could have (or did) see it live.  I just realized that my last show, 5/21/95 in Vegas has a soundboard out.  It was a refreshingly decent show!

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m not seeing anything but Jerry Garcia Live Vol. II was from the Greek Theatre on 8/5/90. I’ve got that on CD. And I can’t think of any Dylan song that I don’t like better hearing performed by the Dead than by Dylan. That goes for a lot of Dead covers. 

Bob Dylan can be hit and miss, but there is so much stuff that fucking rules once you dig.  The Like a Rolling Stone from the Dylan and The Band 1974 release cannot be topped.

The Bootleg Series Rolling Thunder Review release is incredible.  I will take the It’s All Over Now Baby Blue and Tangled up in Blue from that release over any Dead version any day.  His duets with Joan Baez on that are brilliant too (Mama You Been on My Mind).  This release make me wish this was always his band.  I am listening to it now, and the Mr Tambourine Man makes me rethink the song every time I hear it.  Just brilliant!

I do agree that there is a lot where I would choose the Dead (or other artists) version first, but don’t sleep on Dylan.  His best stuff is the tops.

3 hours ago, Druggist said:

Bob Dylan can be hit and miss, but there is so much stuff that fucking rules once you dig.  The Like a Rolling Stone from the Dylan and The Band 1974 release cannot be topped.

The Bootleg Series Rolling Thunder Review release is incredible.  I will take the It’s All Over Now Baby Blue and Tangled up in Blue from that release over any Dead version any day.  His duets with Joan Baez on that are brilliant too (Mama You Been on My Mind).  This release make me wish this was always his band.  I am listening to it now, and the Mr Tambourine Man makes me rethink the song every time I hear it.  Just brilliant!

I do agree that there is a lot where I would choose the Dead (or other artists) version first, but don’t sleep on Dylan.  His best stuff is the tops.

Don’t get me wrong. I like me some Dylan. I’ve seen him in concert a couple times and own a few of his albums. I even own Dylan & The Dead. He’s a legend and an icon but the majority of what I know of his music I enjoy more when it’s being performed by someone else. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t standouts of certain songs in Dylan’s catalog. But, for example, I’ll take the versions of All Along The Watchtower by Hendrix, the Dead, and Spirit/Randy California over Dylan’s any day. The first two you’ve heard. I’ll leave it up to you if you want to seek out the third. (Hint: It’s on the album Future Games, for one, which is a nice little piece of psychedelia that totally passes the acid test. And the album cover is alleged to be a mockery of Ted Nugent.)

• Hook 'Em 1

Phil sang at all three of my shows.  I got to hear Broken Arrow, Just Like Tom Thumb Blues, and Box of Rain.  I didn't realize how uncommon it was for Phil to sing back then.  I just figured it was pretty normal. 

And I have to agree with WTB about Dylan.  As I've stated here before, I love a lot of his songs when other people play/sing them. 

47 minutes ago, Hate said:

Phil sang at all three of my shows.  I got to hear Broken Arrow, Just Like Tom Thumb Blues, and Box of Rain.  I didn't realize how uncommon it was for Phil to sing back then.  I just figured it was pretty normal. 

And I have to agree with WTB about Dylan.  As I've stated here before, I love a lot of his songs when other people play/sing them. 

I saw Box of Rain at the same show as Hate and then at my last show (5/21/95 in Vegas) Phil sang both Tom Thumb and Unbroken Chain.  Likewise, I did not realize how special that was at the time.

and I am not going to argue with anyone that covers of Dylan songs are usually better than the original, just that there are a very few versions done by him that excel to the point where they are my favorite.  To each his own.  

Not Dylan, but another Jerry cover that I prefer over any other version is the After Midnight on the Don’t Let Go JGB release.  It smokes.

• Like 1

This a little bit of synchronicity. I was thinking about it last week because tOSU’s new starting QB C.J. Stroud is from Rancho Cucamonga, CA. It’s also a great Phil song that the Grateful Dead never performed live. I remember really getting it for the first time while I was playing Mars Hotel on my boom box as we were setting up camp at Stone Mountain before my second show. (The Omni - Atlanta,GA - 3/24/88)

It was a beautiful day and the campground was full of Deadheads. I had yet to receive my first live tape so everything I knew about their music I knew from listening to their albums (and my first show). Jerry’s pedal steel is so sweet and Phil’s vocals are fine and it just clicked. It seemed perfect. I love this song. And the album.

Just to add on to that. The first Dead show I tried to attend was at Hampton in the spring of ‘87. I’ve told that story before. But I remember looking at the wares being sold by vendors in the lot and being struck by a t-shirt with the lyric, “Strangers stopping strangers just shake their hand.” I didn’t know where that came from. After my first show I started buying a new Dead CD or two every week or so. I don’t know when I bought Mars Hotel but that’s when I learned it was from Scarlet Begonias. That was like finding an Easter egg.

I didn’t know about Bobby’s “solo” album Ace at that time (which is basically a Grateful Dead album) so when I heard Looks Like Rain that night at the Omni it was totally new to me. Also, never heard of Chik-fil-A before until we ate there at the CNN Center next to the Omni before the show. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck