Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

Lawn. But I got the Shakedown package so I can get in there early. The difference in price for a seat just wasn’t worth it, IMO. I kind of wanted to do the package with pit passes and access to Loose Lucy Lounge, but I couldn’t get the other people we are going with to sign off on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/19/2021 at 12:47 AM, Travo said:

Love that Viola Lee Blues Monterrey Pop Music Festival clip. One of my favorite Dead songs that I often overlook.

Ever listen to (or watch, it’s up on YouTube) the one Phil & Phriends opened with on 4/15/99? It’s insane. That was such a momentous collaboration between Dead and Phish factions with Kimock joining in, a true jam band super group. And they just dove right in. Truly breathtaking. All three shows, 4/15-17/99 are amazing. It’s a shame they never released them on DVD. When they covered Wish You Were Here might have made it cost prohibitive.

Went to the grocery store a little while ago. Was listening to Cousin Mary from Coltrane’s Giant Steps as I was pulling out of the parking lot. A guy a short distance away, as he was loading his groceries into his car, was DEFINITELY tapping his foot and bopping his head to the music. He was borderline dancing.

My socially distanced ministry continues.

Tonight is 5/22/77 from The Sportatorium in Pembroke Pines, FL.  Solid damn show.  The Ramble on Rose is outstanding...I've always thought it doesn't get it's due as a great song.  Help>Slip>Franklin's is always good.  The Eyes>Wharf Rat>Terrapin end to the second set????  Goddamn, I love this band.  The sound from this show is really really good!

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-05-22.sbd.terrapin.dp3-rip.31789.sbeok.shnf/Gd77-05-22D1T9.shn

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Hate said:

Tonight is 5/22/77 from The Sportatorium in Pembroke Pines, FL.  Solid damn show.  The Ramble on Rose is outstanding...I've always thought it doesn't get it's due as a great song.  Help>Slip>Franklin's is always good.  The Eyes>Wharf Rat>Terrapin end to the second set????  Goddamn, I love this band.  The sound from this show is really really good!

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-05-22.sbd.terrapin.dp3-rip.31789.sbeok.shnf/Gd77-05-22D1T9.shn

That’s a great show. I’m listening to 5/21/77 right now, Row Jimmy is one of my favorite Dead songs and I really love this one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I've been listening to 5/25/77 from The Mosque in Richmond, Virginia.  It's a great great show.  Mississippi Half Step to start it off, a great TLOE, Loser, and a fairly laid back Brown Eyed Women for this era are part of a great first set.  The Estimated>He's Gone is terrific, but the highlight to me is TOO>Wharf Rat>TOO>The Wheel>Around and Around.  It's a spectacular way to finish out a great night.  I've posted this show before, but it is definitely worth revisiting.

They announced the first winners of Ohio’s “Vax-A-Million” tonight. My chances weren’t that good but it reminded of this Zero song, also with lyrics by Robert Hunter.

And then I found this instrumental version by SKB from 2015. I would’ve lost my shit if I had been at that show. It’s nice to see Kimock and Vega keeping in touch with their past.

I had to call an audible as it is a perfect night to sit on the porch drinking bourbon, taking one hits, and listening to LL Rain. There is a very gentle rain at my house right now and the lightning is off in the distance. A perfect song on a night when it is perfect for hearing .

It absolutely blows my mind that nobody ever updates this thread other than WTB with his totally unrelated stupid shit.  I don't know about you, but I am up finishing the night with the best goddamn band there ever was.  Where is everyone?

Guest Lobo

I was driving around a bunch today and got in a fair amount of set one from a 77 Berkeley show.  I’ll check the date.  But it was the best one on Xm I’d heard in awhile. Sound quality for keyboards was for shit but everything else sounded awesome 

On vacation and sliced my foot to shreds yesterday on a rental boat and  I can’t go into the water for the remainder of the week on a beach vacation.

while the kids and ladies shop I am sitting on the porch drinking beer and listening to the Hampton 89 warlocks set.  It is in a heated race with Alpine Valley (Downhill from Here) for my favorite shows of the year.

I might have to have an edible to make my bad luck more bearable.  All things considered, this still beats working!

Edited by Druggist
  • Like 1

Tonight is 6/9/77 from the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco, California.  This was the end of a 3 night run and, imo, the best of them.  I hadn't posted much lately as I was out of town.  I was at our family's lake house at Lake Buchanan.  A storm came by Friday night after everyone else was asleep and I was sitting alone by the fire with my bourbon and 20mg edibles.  The storm was far enough away so that it was cool where I was.  I sat out there and listened to every Grateful Dead rain song I could think of and it was awesome!

15 hours ago, Druggist said:

On vacation and sliced my foot to shreds yesterday on a rental boat and  I can’t go into the water for the remainder of the week on a beach vacation.

while the kids and ladies shop I am sitting on the porch drinking beer and listening to the Hampton 89 warlocks set.  It is in a heated race with Alpine Valley (Downhill from Here) for my favorite shows of the year.

I might have to have an edible to make my bad luck more bearable.  All things considered, this still beats working!

The cheers from the crowd when they launch into Dark Star still give me chills. The MIDI instruments really breathed new life into Jerry and the collective creative effort. Those shows were billed as “Formerly the Warlocks” because GD fans were getting out of hand and the Dead were banned from playing at Hampton Coliseum (aka the spaceship). I tried to see my first Dead show there on spring break in ‘87 but couldn’t find tickets in the lot. I didn’t know what a popular place it was to see the band.

Bought some acid and when the cops ordered everyone with tickets to go into the show and everyone else to clear out of the lot, we went across the street to a theater and watched Platoon. That was a trip. I wouldn’t get inside the venue until years later to see Phish. 

It absolutely blows my mind that nobody ever updates this thread other than WTB with his totally unrelated stupid shit.  I don't know about you, but I am up finishing the night with the best goddamn band there ever was.  Where is everyone?

Don’t post much but just want to say I love your posts on this thread and I think WTB is a dickhead weirdo for how he treats you on this thread. Keep it up and don’t let him bring you down. Ps again I don’t post much at all but I’m kind of an asshole to lobo sometimes on various threads but I like him and like when he posts on this thread too.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

Don’t post much but just want to say I love your posts on this thread and I think WTB is a dickhead weirdo for how he treats you on this thread. Keep it up and don’t let him bring you down. Ps again I don’t post much at all but I’m kind of an asshole to lobo sometimes on various threads but I like him and like when he posts on this thread too.

zomObl.gif&f=1&nofb=1

You should definitely post more in this thread at least.  Don't let WTB scare you off.

I'm not listening to any show in particular tonight.  I'm jumping around between all of the shows and albums I have downloaded right now, so it's anything from 65 to 94 that could come up.  Sunday night will be the 28th anniversary of my first Grateful Dead show, 6/13/93 from Buffalo, New York.  There are 3 videos that have been released from that show and it's always fun to go back and see the show you were at.  Jerry still looked pretty good in the summer of 93 and Vince had settled in pretty well by then.  Now, I am not saying 93 was anywhere close to peak GD, but it wasn't quite as horrible as it's always portrayed.  Jerry was still in decent shape and they were breaking in a bunch of new songs.  I wish I had gotten on the bud much earlier in my life, but there is nothing I can do about that now.  I'm just forever grateful that I did get on that bus and that I got to see Jerry live a few times. 

Edit: PS, I know Lobo in real life.  He's good people. 

Edited by Hate

8 hours ago, Hate said:

think WTB is a dickhead weirdo for how he treats you on this thread.

A weirdo? LOL. No Deadhead wants to be called that!

A dickhead? I’d respond to that by saying you’re a fucking moron. The Dead are the world’s premiere psychedelic band and if you claim to be a fan but aren’t into all that psychedelic stuff then you deserve to be mocked. Relentlessly.

Do you know your history? Do you know about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters and the Acid Tests and Owlsley Stanley, and so on? The Dead designed their performances to be friendly to the psychedelic experience, taking you on a trip, taking you out there, and bringing you back down easy. (For the most part.)

Go back through the thread and you can see Kimock’s connection to the Dead family. If you weren’t already aware of it then you really are an amateur. Am I overqualified to post here? Maybe it should be renamed the “Grateful Dead Amateur Thread” because it’s just for casual fans with a narrow interest in the band and their music.

Jerry thinks you’re a jerk. And to all the young hippie lurkers out there, who are you going to listen to? A guy who calls himself “Hate” or a guy who calls himself “Druggist?” Forget about me. I know how I’m answering that question.

😛

There was an article or something about referring to the 68-69 dead as the "proto-dead" or something. Because they were legit muddy, and doom sounding blues like black sabbath. Can anyone find that article and the show(s) it was referencing? This is driving me nuts. 

11 hours ago, Grandioso said:

There was an article or something about referring to the 68-69 dead as the "proto-dead" or something. Because they were legit muddy, and doom sounding blues like black sabbath. Can anyone find that article and the show(s) it was referencing? This is driving me nuts. 

I’m not familiar with the article but it doesn’t sound like something with which I’d agree. I’d say “proto-Dead” was when some of them were performing as Mother McCree’s Uptown Jug Champions, then as The Warlocks, performing in bars, six sets a night, then at the Acid Tests. By the time they became the Grateful Dead they had already gone through a significant evolution. There was some more development that went on from ‘67-‘69. I recall listening to Dick’s Picks 22, Lake Tahoe 2/23-24/68, for the first time that it sort of sounded like Jerry was the ringmaster directing a three-ring circus.

But by ‘69 they were a fully formed band and that was a foundational year in exploration and full band improvisation. They didn’t have a large repertoire at that point but the songs weren’t as important as they were for serving as launching points for the jams. Back then you might get a Dark Star every night. Maybe St. Stephen and The Eleven, Cryptical > The Other One > Cryptical, Alligator. Okay, not literally. But ‘69 was an amazing year for the Dead. If you care about what the Dead play when they’re just improvising then you’d do well to spend more time exploring that period and I’d challenge anyone who calls it “proto-Dead.” I’ve encountered Deadheads online who lost interest after the Dead got into their “country period” of 1970  

Also comparing them to Black Sabbath is just an insult and I can only assume they’re referring to the blues numbers sung by Pigpen. If you like Sabbath, that’s fine. I wouldn’t make that comparison. And anyone who does I would say doesn’t know much about the Dead. 

Tonight is 6/12/76 from the Boston Music Hall in Boston, Mass.  It has a pretty good set list.

https://archive.org/details/gd76-06-12.fm.wren.5556.sbeok.shnf

Samson & Delilah, Row Jimmy, The Music Never Stopped, Brown Eyed Women, Big River, Looks Like Rain, Friend Of The Devil, Lazy Lightning > Supplication, High Time The Wheel, Cassidy, Tennessee Jed-> Let It Grow-> Drums-> Let It Grow-> Wharf Rat-> Comes A Time-> Dancin' In The Streets-> Around & Around, E:Sugar Magnolia-> E:U.S. Blues-> E: Sunshine Daydream

A weirdo? LOL. No Deadhead wants to be called that!
A dickhead? I’d respond to that by saying you’re a fucking moron. The Dead are the world’s premiere psychedelic band and if you claim to be a fan but aren’t into all that psychedelic stuff then you deserve to be mocked. Relentlessly.
Do you know your history? Do you know about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters and the Acid Tests and Owlsley Stanley, and so on? The Dead designed their performances to be friendly to the psychedelic experience, taking you on a trip, taking you out there, and bringing you back down easy. (For the most part.)
Go back through the thread and you can see Kimock’s connection to the Dead family. If you weren’t already aware of it then you really are an amateur. Am I overqualified to post here? Maybe it should be renamed the “Grateful Dead Amateur Thread” because it’s just for casual fans with a narrow interest in the band and their music.
Jerry thinks you’re a jerk. And to all the young hippie lurkers out there, who are you going to listen to? A guy who calls himself “Hate” or a guy who calls himself “Druggist?” Forget about me. I know how I’m answering that question.

Haha yes a dickhead and a weirdo and a fucking nerd. Now go write 8 more stupid paragraphs that I’m not gonna read and nobody gives a fuck about. And go back to Ohio or whatever bullshit godforsaken yankee shithole you’re from. Blah blah blah mother fucker. Ps Jerry would be just fine with me bc I love their music and don’t hate on anyone who does - just call out self important judgmental jerkoffs when we’re all sick of your bullshit.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Tonight is 6/12/76 from the Boston Music Hall in Boston, Mass.  It has a pretty good set list.

https://archive.org/details/gd76-06-12.fm.wren.5556.sbeok.shnf

Samson & Delilah, Row Jimmy, The Music Never Stopped, Brown Eyed Women, Big River, Looks Like Rain, Friend Of The Devil, Lazy Lightning > Supplication, High Time The Wheel, Cassidy, Tennessee Jed-> Let It Grow-> Drums-> Let It Grow-> Wharf Rat-> Comes A Time-> Dancin' In The Streets-> Around & Around, E:Sugar Magnolia-> E:U.S. Blues-> E: Sunshine Daydream

This was just an OK show.  Someone must have been sick because you can clearly hear someone coughing on the audio.  Bob also keeps mentioning that it's Bill's birthday, but is isn't.  My favorite 76 shows are 6/18 and 6/21.  I really look forward to listening to them in a couple of weeks.

10 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

Haha yes a dickhead and a weirdo and a fucking nerd. Now go write 8 more stupid paragraphs that I’m not gonna read and nobody gives a fuck about. And go back to Ohio or whatever bullshit godforsaken yankee shithole you’re from. Blah blah blah mother fucker. Ps Jerry would be just fine with me bc I love their music and don’t hate on anyone who does - just call out self important judgmental jerkoffs when we’re all sick of your bullshit.

LOL. 

‘Sure, you’ve seen them more, you know their music better, you have a lot more experience than we do. This is not the thread for you!’

Pathetic. 

Time to nerd out a little bit. (As if that’s a bad thing.)

Maybe we’re seeing why, out of 2,317 shows, the Dead only played 28 in the State of Texas. I’ve probably seen more than that in Big Ten country alone just since 1987.

After you ran Janis Joplin off to San Francisco, did you know that the noise she and Pigpen made while having sex was an inspiration for the line, “Did you ever waken to the sound of street cats making love and guess from their cries you were listening to a fight?” In Looks Like Rain?

The Dead basically invented the jam band genre, which I would define as multi-genre improvisational rock. There’s a wide range of styles within the genre. Some are more jazz oriented, some more blues oriented, some more bluegrass oriented, some leaning more toward techno.

I never got to see the Dead on the West Coast, but I did get to see Phil & Friends at the Greek Theater in Berkeley on two nights in the summer of ‘99. Beautiful, historic venue and the only time I’ve been there. That was the culmination of the Summer Session Tour which featured four different jam bands - moe., Galactic, The String Cheese Incident, and Gov’t Mule. They rotated slots during the course of that tour. Then when they got to Berkeley they divided it up with two bands opening up each show and then some of them making up Phil’s friends for that night. Great shows. I would rather have seen the shows with Trey and Page and Kimock at the Warfield the previous April, but these were still pretty good.

Anyway, SCI had kind of peaked around that time. Within the next year or two they went into decline. But they had a song called Texas that was pretty decent and based on a true story where they had a minor traffic accident, the cops came and searched their RV, found their stash of psilocybin mushrooms, but didn’t know what they were and let them go with a small fine.

Nerd up!

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Anyway, SCI had kind of peaked around that time. Within the next year or two they went into decline. But they had a song called Texas that was pretty decent and based on a true story where they had a minor traffic accident, the cops came and searched their RV, found their stash of psilocybin mushrooms, but didn’t know what they were and let them go with a small fine.

Nerd up!

The Texas on that album is the only song included not from 99, despite the title. It was from 11/20/98 at Liberty lunch, which is easily one of the best shows I’ve ever been at.  They opened the two night run with this Texas and blew it out from there.  To make this Dead related, they played Sitting On Top of the World later in the set and then opened set two with Best Feeling>Fire on the Mountain with Keller Williams joining in.

Fucking Amazing!!!

• Like 1

During the ‘80s, I became acquainted with a dude named Spencer. He played with Shiva’s Headband, I think he played bass. He was quick to let people know he played on the same stage as Jerry (at the Armadillo,) and that the Thirteenth Floor Elevators invented psychedelic rock. I’m no historian, but chatting with Spencer was a hoot. 

The Dead played Texas in the Summer, from the early ‘80s on, and I always thought the heat influenced the number of shows they played here. 

So this time 28 years ago, I was in Buffalo, New York taking in my first Grateful Dead show.  It was a beautiful western New York day.  Not a cloud in the sky.  It was a great show, imo, and is one of the best days of my life. 

We had gone to Syracuse to hang out with a friend we had met the year before at a summer camp in the Poconos. We took a quarter pound if weed to him as he was used to paying ridiculous prices like $80 for an eight.  We sold him a quarter found for the $250 we got it.  Anyway, we get there and party for a few days before we somehow found out they were playing in Buffalo that weekend.  We all agreed we should go.  We tried to get tickets earlier in the week when we drove up, but we couldn't find any.  We did find two headshops, one named Franklin's Tower and the other was Terrapin Station. 

We drive up the day of the show without tickets.  There are 4 of us.  The traffic was backed up to the highway and there was this guy walking next to the cars selling tickets.  He said $200 for 4 and we thought that was too much.  So we waited a bit and started getting a little worried and so we waved him back to the car. We bartered with him and talked him down to $180 and two cans of Coke.  We parked in this lady's yard and two girls from Chicago parked right next to us.  We hang out with them and walk into the show and go our separate ways.  We joked that we would see them in the show and then sure enough we bumped into them right about midfield of the Bill's stadium.  So we hunkered down with them and enjoyed the hell out of the show.  The highlights to me were the first set Loser and Deal, and of course hearing Phil sing Broken Arrow.  The crowd went nuts.  The second set was outstanding.  Bobby played acoustic guitar on LL Rain for the first time ever.  It was perfect.  The Lazy River Road was outstanding.  The Other one coming out of space and then going into Days Between was just fantastic.  The Johnny B Good and I fought the Law finish was just about the only "meh" part of the show.  After the show, we walked back to the cars and sat with the girls for a while and had snacks and drinks while waiting for the traffic to die down.  I've never had a more fun concert experience than that and it still is one of the best days of my life. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Trey Anastasio tells Bob Weir about his first Dead Show.

That was 10/14/83. It was released as Dick’s Picks 6. The second set opened with Scarlet > Fire. Over the Thanksgiving weekend, Trey’s band rehearsed and played Scarlet > Fire to open their second set of their first show on 12/2/83. (At the time they were billed as “Blackwood Convention.”) After Scarlet > Fire the students in the dorm where they were playing turned up Michael Jackson’s Thriller on a boom box and forced them off the stage. But they still got paid. They opened their first show with Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress and I got to see them pay tribute to that on 10/30/98 in Vegas.

One of the best things about the Dead is that they exposed me to a lot of music that I otherwise would never have known about. It would’ve been cool to get a Scarlet > Fire, Estimated > Eyes to open the second set of my first show, but I got some of the Neville Brothers as guests and I never even knew there was such a thing as New Orleans music before that. It still took me some time to figure that out. But I used to be a big fan of Rush, they were the first band I saw in concert, and I thought playing your songs live exactly the way they sounded on the album was a sign of good musicianship. (To be fair, a lot of “musicians” can’t even manage that.) But I’m not sure if I ever would’ve gotten exposed to John Coltrane and Miles Davis and jazz in general if it weren’t for the Dead  

Anyway, when Bobby references them playing Yellow Bird during the soundcheck for that Hartford ‘83 show, this is that song:

Phish played a number of Dead covers early on but pretty quickly abandoned them as they wanted to make a name for themselves and didn’t want to be seen as a Dead cover band. They had their own approach to improvisation that really wasn’t like the Dead’s but the overall philosophy was still similar. But they definitely tried to avoid being compared to the Dead even though they were an obvious influence (along with Zappa and King Crimson and the Beatles and Boston and Led Zeppelin and so on).

Then on the 3rd anniversary of Jerry’s passing they broke with that practice and played Terrapin as the encore. Listen to that crowd. They all know the song. And they all know the significance. And just over 8 months later Trey and Page would be playing with Phil.

Edited by WhatTheBuck

In preparation for this weekend, anybody got a beat on how to get a good online copy of Pine Knob 1991 (6/19 & 6/20)?  I want to listen to at least one of those 4 sets over Father's Day weekend as a prelude to the copy I have set up for 6/22/91 Chicago.  30th anniversary of my first Grateful Dead show.  Want a good primer for it.  Not sure I can listen to the show on 6/22/21 because Horns are in Omaha that night, may have to wait until the following weekend.  But figured I'd listen to Pine Knob as a lead-in this weekend, can't find a stream/copy anywhere though.  Appreciate any arrows...

There are multiple copies of each available on the Relisten app (I think this grabs streams from archive.org).  I use this for any Dead/Phish shows I don’t own or aren’t on Spotify.  

I gave those shows a sample listen and the quality isn’t what I would hope.  I will never understand how recordings from 40 or more years ago can be so phenomenal while many from their last few years sound so shitty.  I know their playing isn’t as good, but the quality of the mix really gets in the way of my enjoyment on a lot of them

Edited by Druggist