Dallas, The Show

Jock is the biggest badass ever. JR gives zero fucks. My favorite TV show ever.

When I moved to Dallas from.... Not Dallas.... The first thing I did was drive clear the fuck out to Parker or park and whatever to see South fork. Shit, it's probably in the middle of Allen by now. 

24 minutes ago, pops said:

Jock is the biggest badass ever. JR gives zero fucks. My favorite TV show ever.

When I moved to Dallas from.... Not Dallas.... The first thing I did was drive clear the fuck out to Parker or park and whatever to see South fork. Shit, it's probably in the middle of Allen by now. 

Technically still in Plano, but pretty close to Allen. it's kind of funny the show used Braddock as a stand in for Plano. Also playing the theme song in the background every chance they got is pretty good stuff. 

Patrick Duffy has lead a charmed life. He was paid for love scenes with Victoria Principal and Suzzane Somers. They paid him money for this. He didn't pay them. Amazing. 

I'm still pissed off.  The ONE time I was allowed to stay up past my bedtime as a child - "Who Shot JR" - I fell asleep and missed the entire episode.

The reach of this show is amazing.  I brought three girls back to Dallas during my time in TN, and all three of them insisted on seeing South Fork.

• Like 2

Show was great until: 1) Jim Davis died.  That guy might be the best Western character actor ever, along with Jack Elam, and 2) all the shit after J.R. got shot.  Shark jump.

Also, sometimes too much Cliff Barnes, and the more it introduced new characters the worse.  One huge exception was Mary Crosby.  God was she absolutely fucking beautiful.  I could watch her grunt out a turd over and over on a loop.   

Anyway,  in its day it was pretty good, no doubt. 

8 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Show was great until: 1) Jim Davis died.  That guy might be the best Western character actor ever, along with Jack Elam, and 2) all the shit after J.R. got shot.  Shark jump.

Also, sometimes too much Cliff Barnes, and the more it introduced new characters the worse.  One huge exception was Mary Crosby.  God was she absolutely fucking beautiful.  I could watch her grunt out a turd over and over on a loop.   

Anyway,  in its day it was pretty good, no doubt. 

So stop watching after Season 5 4. Got it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Some initial thoughts: 

- How many times did they recast Gary? 

- JR is a SOB. The Pamela hay barn scene was silly, but also tough to watch. 

- I know JR has many side pieces, but Linda Gray wasn't bad looking in the late 70s/early 80s. Surely he could take of business at home. 

- If JR is such a boss, why does he live in the Southfork Guest House? Build your mansion man. 

- JR just blackmails everybody. It works on a soap, but there has to be some pragmatic opportunities somewhere. 

- Victoria Principal has to be the best looking brunette in prime. Sorry Jaclyn Smith. 

- Season 2, Episode 4, the hurricane/Brian Dennehy rapist episode is just so lazy and ridiculous. A hurricane during the winter in Texas? I guess they needed a plot device, but choose literally anything else. 

- Lucy is pretty short, but I dig it. 

- Digger Barnes is what I imagine Jett Rink becoming in old age. 

- It's helped me understand lessors better. Ranching is their passion, but oil makes them rich. How do you reconcile love and money? Moving usually works.