UT to give full scholarships to in-state students from families making less than $65K

Machinator

12 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

What’s the incentive to apply for other assistance if you are an automatic admittee and meet the income limit?

This is only a tuition thing ... there are other costs.  Here are typical expenses for an undergraduate year at UT, for a Texas resident, for two semesters:

• Tuition: $10,100 - $11,600
  • Room and Board:  About $10,000 for housing and food.  First year dorms are probably a lot cheaper than second year off campus housing at Texas.
  • Miscellaneous Expenses: About $6000 per year according to UT.

So even with zero tuition a student still needs about $16,000 per year to go to Texas.  Free tuition is a major discount but not 100% of costs.

Parents are weird about this stuff.  I have seen parents trumpet the idea that their kid got a $100k four-year scholarship to a school that costs $200k in tuition over four years, and I have seen parents brag about their "full ride" kid who is really getting full tuition, but paying for everything else.  They love the idea of getting a discount or getting something for free but often don't look at the total cost of the degree.

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

So is Agua Dulce!

Taft Hs is Also very under rated, my per my college memories, lot of good looking women from Taft hs

no coastal bend hs came even close to Miller hs though for Hot co eds though. Calallen is a close second 

Edited by tx 3 putt

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I wish more students and their parents for that matter would start demanding more be done by lawmakers on the state and Fed level to focus on this aspect vs giving kids more money via loans to keep the cycle going.   College administrators have played this game real well to date and have let the politicians play everyone by throwing more money at the cost of higher ed and have not lifted one finger to cut those administrative costs other than some token cuts here and there.    

Agreed.

OTOH

Spoiler

Ohio college students turning to ‘sugar daddies’ to pay student loans

In Ohio, 62-percent of college graduates have student loan debt with the national total over $1.5 trillion.  

Many students throughout the country have turned to Sugar Daddies to help fund their education.  

The world’s largest Sugar Daddy dating site, SeekingArrangement, released its annual report of the fastest growing Sugar Baby schools. 

Ohio University ranked 29th in the country. 

Just last year, 161 students joined the site bringing the total number of Sugar Babies at the college to 552.  

Georgia State University came in at the number one spot with 1304 students signed up.  

The University of Central Florida, University of Alabama, Florida State University and the University of Florida were the other colleges in the top five spots.  

Over 2.5 million of the 20 million members on the world’s largest Sugar Daddy dating site are American college students.

With an average monthly allowance of $3,000, student Sugar Babies can pay off tuition in about three months, leaving many with the ability to focus on achieving an education, according to the report.

“Over the past three administrations, the overall cost of attending college has more than doubled. Students are tired of hearing politicians campaign on the importance of education, job growth, and opportunity-just to leave promises on the convention floor,” says Brandon Wade, Founder and CEO of SeekingArrangement. “The numbers speak for themselves. Of the four million students on SeekingArrangement, more than 62 percent attend college in the U.S.”

Student loan debt is something that many college graduates continue to deal with.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/ohio-college-students-turning-to-sugar-daddies-to-pay-student-loans/

On 7/12/2019 at 10:00 AM, Texas Jeff said:

This is only a tuition thing ... there are other costs.  Here are typical expenses for an undergraduate year at UT, for a Texas resident, for two semesters:

• Room and Board:  About $10,000 for housing and food.  First year dorms are probably a lot cheaper than second year off campus housing at Texas.

So even with zero tuition a student still needs about $16,000 per year to go to Texas.  Free tuition is a major discount but not 100% of costs.

This is pretty much where I was at.  State covered my tuition (was about 3k/sem back then), but then I was on the hook for apartment, food, books, etc.  Even with a job all 4 years (Rec sports holla!) I still had about 30k in debt.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:00 AM, Texas Jeff said:

Parents are weird about this stuff.  I have seen parents trumpet the idea that their kid got a $100k four-year scholarship to a school that costs $200k in tuition over four years, and I have seen parents brag about their "full ride" kid who is really getting full tuition, but paying for everything else.  They love the idea of getting a discount or getting something for free but often don't look at the total cost of the degree.

You can get a job, or pell grant, or scholarships, to eat into or eliminate that 16K. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.propublica.org/article/university-of-illinois-financial-aid-fafsa-parents-guardianship-children-students

Parents are giving up legal custody of their children during their junior or senior year in high school to someone else — a friend, aunt, cousin or grandparent. The guardianship status then allows the students to declare themselves financially independent of their families so they can qualify for federal, state and university aid, a ProPublica Illinois investigation found.

giphy.gif

One of my children has a classmate who did something along those lines. It was apparently discussed quite a bit among the academic set at his high school. We had several discussions about the different ways students are savvy about applications and all the rest of it. A lot different from when I went to college. His group was pretty scornful of students who did something called 'honors farming,' where students (this is at his school so I don't know how widespread it is) take mostly honors classes which are weighted the same as AP classes but are less rigorous. Since his school ranks as well as has weighted GPAs, the truly academic achievers still come out ahead, but the students who try and challenge themselves but don't necessarily pull all 'A's  in their AP classes sometimes fall behind in the rankings. It causes some 'butthurt,' but we pretty much told all of our children to focus on their own education and stop freaking out over what everyone else was doing.

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

but the students who try and challenge themselves but don't necessarily pull all 'A's  in their AP classes sometimes fall behind in the rankings. It causes some 'butthurt,' but we pretty much told all of our children to focus on their own education and stop freaking out over what everyone else was doing.

I think that was a valid point before UT started keeping you out of school for being in the top 15% in favor of some valley kid who was top 10 but got a 950 on his SATs. 

I see your point as well, but that is part of the difficulty and dilemma that the state of Texas faces. Is the student from the valley attending a high school that is the same as the student from Highland Park? Should that matter? (rhetorical)

If UT is pulling top 6%, then how many students actually enroll that are from the demographic that scores below average on the SAT? Many students from far west Texas who score in the top 10% (or top 6%) may choose to attend a closer state school, especially where the cost is substantially lower. IIRC, the Gates Foundation was assisting some students from the Valley in that endeavor if they met certain requirements.

The issue our family had was our children getting super stressed out about it, when we didn't particularly have a preference for schools. It's really about getting a good fit for the student and what they wish to study without incurring too much debt. Our oldest went to a state school where tuition was covered and is now in grad school in California. The next in line is probably doing something similar. There are a number of parents at our hs that really stress a particular school and are willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish that. That is their family and their business.

• Like 1