Anyone replace a recliner chair motor?

Looks easy as shit on YouTube... 1) unplug shit 2) take off pin on one end 3) take off gizmo on other end 4) swap out.

I had a guy come check it, worth the $ as he had to verify that it was the motor and not some cord, etc.  That was $65.  But now shit, I can do this myself I think.  Anyone done it before?  Things to be careful of?  Will I lose fingers or be amputated up to the neck?

I was going to make a joke that you dont need to go higher than a two-stroke, then you said you paid a guy $65 to tell you the motor was bad, seriously?  wow  

that likely cost you more than the motor.  Did your guy give you the Simon Cowell look?

spacer.png

Take the numbers off the motor, go online and order you one. 

Then have your husband put it on for you

Edited by Soldierhorn

1 hour ago, Soldierhorn said:

I was going to make a joke that you dont need to go higher than a two-stroke, then you said you paid a guy $65 to tell you the motor was bad, seriously?  wow  

that likely cost you more than the motor.  Did your guy give you the Simon Cowell look?

spacer.png

Take the numbers off the motor, go online and order you one. 

Then have your husband put it on for you

Yep, and I'd do it again.  My first thought was the chord was frayed because the motor seemed to work.  My husband agreed the guy needed to check it out.

And no one gave me a simon look.  It was more like this for not fucking around and trying to guess, well worth the $$.
giphy.gif

Sometimes the motors aren't easy to get, another problem - proprietary and shit.  In this case, not yet sure, and these guys have a service contract with recliner company.  Otherwise it might be impossible.  So yeah, well worth it - again.

You must beat your wife.

Edited by phdhorn

hahaha   phd has more money than sense.  your average redneck could fix this in 5 minutes. 

If you think it's the motor, get the numbers off of it (or off the recliner model on a website) and order the motor.  Since you are into wasting money, order the whole assembly. it would make it a lot easier

If you think it's frayed wiring - that's simple - cut the frayed part and reattach or splice in additional wiring and reattach. 

Or... put this recliner out by the street and buy a recliner with a handle and not a motor. holy cow 

Edited by Soldierhorn

17 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Yeah, what kind of lazy fucker has a motorized recliner except old people (even older than me) or somebody with physical problems. If you fall into ones of those two categories I apologize in advance of being accused of a hate crime.

Never knew they existed until now.  A whole new world of sedentary. Don’t even have to do the hard work of laying down. 

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Never knew they existed until now.  A whole new world of sedentary. Don’t even have to do the hard work of laying down. 

I figured he was talking about a massage chair motor of some kind, and not just a recliner.. That's some scary ass shit right there.

On 7/11/2019 at 3:21 PM, Soldierhorn said:

hahaha   phd has more money than sense.  your average redneck could fix this in 5 minutes. 

If you think it's the motor, get the numbers off of it (or off the recliner model on a website) and order the motor.  Since you are into wasting money, order the whole assembly. it would make it a lot easier

If you think it's frayed wiring - that's simple - cut the frayed part and reattach or splice in additional wiring and reattach. 

Or... put this recliner out by the street and buy a recliner with a handle and not a motor. holy cow 

But that might require actually standing up at some point.

I pretty much lived in one of them power chairs for the better part of a month after I had my pelvis broke in '09. I spent I think 23 days in a physical rehab facility before they booted me out to go home. But with the broke ribs, broken collar bone and the aforementioned pelvis, getting into and out of a bed was a no-go. That chair was a lifesaver. 

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

I pretty much lived in one of them power chairs for the better part of a month after I had my pelvis broke in '09. I spent I think 23 days in a physical rehab facility before they booted me out to go home. But with the broke ribs, broken collar bone and the aforementioned pelvis, getting into and out of a bed was a no-go. That chair was a lifesaver. 

Man.......Hookers can be a tough crowd....

12 hours ago, El Diablo said:

My mom had a motorized recliner due to her health and advanced age.  she got to the point where she wouldnt even use it because it took WAY too long for it to lift up then tilt forward so she could get out of it and it was too hard to get out of it if she didnt use the motor.  It mostly just sat there until the grand kids and great grandkids came over and played with it.  As expensive as it was, she eventually just gave it away