hayden_horn

greg kelley's guilty verdict overturned

3 hours ago, Red Six said:

Frankly, she probably got cocky, thought Greg's innocence was patently obvious to anyone breathing, and misfired. It probably doesn't reach constitutional levels of IAC, but it's not her best performance, either. She checked the professional boxes, but didn't execute. Once you put the ball in play, it can take funny bounces, and the client can end up taking it on the chin.

I was critical of her up-thread and certainly thought there might be something fishy going on with her defense and subsequent actions based on how it was portrayed in the documentary. However, I am willing to concede that my tin foil hat may have been a little too tight on my head and entertain the above as well.  

My only close experience with a criminal trial involved a similar situation with the roles reversed.  The defendant was clearly guilty, the defense threw a hail Mary strategy that was absurd to anyone with the IQ of a potato and the prosecutor got cocky.  They didn't destroy that defense; I guess assuming the jury would be laughing at it during deliberations and the jury ended up hung instead.

My connection to the case (victim was a relative) had to endure another trial where justice was ultimately served.

I can see how she might have thought the investigation was so poor and the evidence so weak that she didn't need to hammer away and she got sideswiped by the jury.  Her prior relationship with the McCarty family may or may not have played a role in how she handled that or how vigorously she pushed....thinking "I don't need to even go there and hurt another family".  Right or wrong, none of us will ever know short of her doing some mea culpa  down the line.

The whole thing is sad, fucked up, and a huge black eye for the LEOs involved.  It should also be a warning to everyone that a successful prosecution vs. the truth is far, far too often the end goal. 

21 hours ago, Red Six said:

Her representation of the McCartys was for petty stuff like hot checks or something like that. Not something you make a living on, especially compared with a multi-complainant agg sex assault of a child case.

Dig up James McDermott's affidavit that he wrote for the writ hearing. Apparently there was some evasiveness from Greg when discussing the case that may have made going down the McCarty trail difficult.

I don't know when Pamela's last major felony trial before this was. She usually could walk in and make things happen without throwing down. She had sharp co-counsel at trial but things were clearly missed, e.g., the rebuttal character witness who never should have been able to testify. Frankly, she probably got cocky, thought Greg's innocence was patently obvious to anyone breathing, and misfired. It probably doesn't reach constitutional levels of IAC, but it's not her best performance, either. She checked the professional boxes, but didn't execute. Once you put the ball in play, it can take funny bounces, and the client can end up taking it on the chin.

Fair enough.  Like I said, it was my perception and that was formed mostly from watching the documentary and I get that the makers weren't above skewing to fit a narrative.

I'll try to find and read that affidavit.

On 7/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, Red Six said:

Her representation of the McCartys was for petty stuff like hot checks or something like that. Not something you make a living on, especially compared with a multi-complainant agg sex assault of a child case.

Dig up James McDermott's affidavit that he wrote for the writ hearing. Apparently there was some evasiveness from Greg when discussing the case that may have made going down the McCarty trail difficult.

I don't know when Pamela's last major felony trial before this was. She usually could walk in and make things happen without throwing down. She had sharp co-counsel at trial but things were clearly missed, e.g., the rebuttal character witness who never should have been able to testify. Frankly, she probably got cocky, thought Greg's innocence was patently obvious to anyone breathing, and misfired. It probably doesn't reach constitutional levels of IAC, but it's not her best performance, either. She checked the professional boxes, but didn't execute. Once you put the ball in play, it can take funny bounces, and the client can end up taking it on the chin.

Patricia rep’d the McCarty boys on charges heavier than a theft by check and the like. 

Its still shocking to me that all my 4 year old twins have to do to put our nanny away for 25 years is just to tell a cop that the nanny made them touch her cooter

Regardless of if its true or not, thats all it takes to get 25 years from someone. That is fucking insane

This documentary made me ragey and Duty, Geoffrey, the other asst DA, Mannix, and Dailey should all be in jail for 3 years

11 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This documentary made me ragey and Duty, Geoffrey, the other asst DA, Mannix, and Dailey should all be in jail for 3 years

spacer.png

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Fyi...

That seems like a bit of an overreaction but whatever. Hopefully this doesn’t put an end to his dream 

26 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That seems like a bit of an overreaction but whatever. Hopefully this doesn’t put an end to his dream 

I’m in it sure if it’s an overreaction. It seems like a good move to keep the team safe. 

Marches and protests in large crowds are a lot less dangerous as it relates to Covid than admitting an individual to the team. We have to draw the line somewhere for the safety of the team.

55 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

I’m in it sure if it’s an overreaction. It seems like a good move to keep the team safe. 

Marches and protests in large crowds are a lot less dangerous as it relates to Covid than admitting an individual to the team. We have to draw the line somewhere for the safety of the team.

I get the sarcasm, but honestly, the chances of us even having a season this fall are getting closer and closer to zero.   

This may literally be the classic mute point 

-JK, moot point bitches.

6 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I get the sarcasm, but honestly, the chances of us even having a season this fall are getting closer and closer to zero.   

This may literally be the classic mute point 

-JK, moot point bitches.

Greg Kelley can make this team better, whether there is a season or not. He isn’t going to help the team by starting at OLB.

His story, what he went through, leading the team through a “life isn’t always fair, but suck it up and take control of what you can can control” mentality is what he brings to a team. His work ethic, his fight, his humbleness, his professionalism, etc... are what a team needs in and off season.  Give him a locker, give him #49 or some other shitty number and get him positively influencing the team.

I feel like you can’t even put a value on how much his presence would mean to our locker room. For everything you just described. Plus, by all accounts, he seems like a really good dude. 

Finally finished the series.  To summarize this thread:

Fuck Chris Dailey.

Fuck Sean Mannix.

Fuck Geoffrey Puryear.

Fuck Patricia Cummings.

Fuck Cody Mitchell.

Fuck Jonathan McCarty.

Shawn Dick rocks.

Keith Hampton fucks.

Hook ‘em, Greg. 🤘

On 7/27/2020 at 8:16 AM, Longhorn said:

Greg Kelley can make this team better, whether there is a season or not. He isn’t going to help the team by starting at OLB.

His story, what he went through, leading the team through a “life isn’t always fair, but suck it up and take control of what you can can control” mentality is what he brings to a team. His work ethic, his fight, his humbleness, his professionalism, etc... are what a team needs in and off season.  Give him a locker, give him #49 or some other shitty number and get him positively influencing the team.

Yeah, I’d have went and watched him work out and added him outside the walk on process if you had to. He’s been through actual adversity in life, not “we’re trailing Iowa State with only 8 minutes left” adversity.

Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2020 at 9:18 PM, South Austin said:

Fuck Chris Dailey.

Fuck Sean Mannix.

Fuck Geoffrey Puryear.

Fuck Patricia Cummings.

Fuck Cody Mitchell.

Fuck Jonathan McCarty.

Shawn Dick rocks.

Keith Hampton fucks.

Hook ‘em, Greg. 🤘

What, no love for the jury?

edit: and unfortunately, the Ranger seems like a raging dick

Edited by pwinger

On 7/28/2020 at 9:18 PM, South Austin said:

Fuck Chris Dailey.

Fuck Sean Mannix.

Fuck Geoffrey Puryear.

Fuck Patricia Cummings.

Fuck Cody Mitchell.

Fuck Jonathan McCarty.

Shawn Dick rocks.

Keith Hampton fucks.

Hook ‘em, Greg. 🤘

Gourmand: I’m banging Cummings and quite possibly Chompers.