Lurch

2020 Poker: Color Up!

With the combination of COVID-19 crippling live poker, the GG online World Series going on, and the upcoming WCOOP series on PokerStars, the bigger names are starting to roll into town here in Mexico.  The infamous Shaun Deeb is staying with me for the next month and, say what you want about his untethered opinions, his penchant for finding drama, or his lack of Twitter punctuation, the guy's got some great poker stories.

Late post but finally got back to the Nugget in LC last week (before the storm).  Only three tables in play open and 5 players per table so the wait list was pretty long to get on.  No dividers but masks required.  It was worth the wait for me however.  Stuck two buyins in the first two hours with pretty dead cards but made sure to show a few bluffs hoping that would pay off for me later.  

IMG_6968.jpg.db37e5c4edeb0c421664c06e8fce7e00.jpg

it did!

Ran extremely hot for the next 4 hours and everyone figured there was no way I could have it AGAIN.  They were wrong.  

The shut the room down at 1:15am.  I think I heard them say they were required to shut down by 2:00am so the cut it off early to clean and do the counts before 2:00.

I guess now with Laura they might be closed down again for sometime. 

Mike Sexton has been in Hospice care for the last month due to prostate cancer. 

He was a fantastic WPT commentor/ player and when he finally won that WPT title in Montreal in 2016, everyone exept his final table opponents were cheering for him. 

Hope he can overcome this. but outlook isnt good. 

edit forgot to add the article

https://www.pokertube.com/article/mike-sexton-s-health-in-critical-condition-as-poker-world-offers-outpouring-of-support 

Edited by AUS-97HORN

Fuck, that sucks. Always liked him on TV.

We ran into him at the Bellagio poker room a few years ago and he was leaving the high limit room and my friend asked him how it went. He looked right at us and said something like “sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, they got me pretty good today”.

I've never played that five-card Omaha high-low (is that Big-O?), but I've been watching it some and it seems like a decent number of people have the strategy of raising every hand and then shoving the flop 100% of the time.

So I posted  this goofy fuck winning a fucking WSOP bracelet late in July and I described him as not terrible.... and I pretty much want to take that back.

I did say that he's not good and has no fold button, and is aggressive as hell but damn..

If you were playing in a live stream game your mistakes and WTFs??? are there for all to see.

But to actually film this disaster of poker session, take the time to edit it and then post it for everyone to see is astonishing.

He just uploaded what may be the most infuriating  37 min "live" poker video I have ever seen.

first hand starts at the 2:15 mark and you can just skip forward about 30 seconds to see the next hands if you want

There is an extra special had that starts at 26:20    If you watch NOTHING else in this video... you need to watch that hand.

He manages to punt off $1000 in his first 4 highlighted hands......

then he manages to get himself into a fucking 4 bet $650 pot where he calls with a hyper weak hand... that somehow gets there.

and that hand sends him off on a heater that would be rage inducing to anyone on the table... right up to the $4k cooler 5B of AA vs KK

until the hand at 26:20.... holy shit.

Results arent everything.... but god damn,  this is the kind of moronic heater Ive only seen in person and never experienced myself

He managed to cash out with over a $5k win by playing horrible, and literally turning or rivering his 2,3,5 outers or fucking getting into massive coolers where he pips his opponent by 1

Edited by AUS-97HORN

I rather enjoyed that. Obv the muck was horribad and that J8 was sick but the rest was reasonably played

Question for the board about a hand I think I played terribly.

Playing a $1/$2 game, 7-handed. I have no history with anyone. Villain has the button and $261, and I'm in the hijack and have him covered.

UTG+1 opens to $8, I have two red Queens and 3-bet to $24, and the button 4-bets to $72.

Is this a fold?

I call. Pot is $155 and Villain has $189 left. Flop is 4 of spades, 2 of diamonds, J of spades. I check he bets $98.

Is this a fold?

I call. Pot is $351 and Villain has $91 left. Turn is A of spades. I check he shoves.

I fold because I can't beat anything at this point. I would have called any turn except a K or A.

Thoughts?

Edited by Bookman

folding to the 4 bet pre  in my mind is really nitty.   

I understand not shoving, and calling isnt terrible there to see if an AK hits the board. But once you make that call and get an all undercard flop and hes only $190  behind you are kinda stuck.

If hes got AA or KK its a shitty cooler in my mind.  I think the check on the flop is a mistake.  If hes got KK or AA, it sucks, but you WANT that undercard flop with QQ.  

I know Im not great, but that flop with that hand and Im shoving on the flop since its only effectively a $190 bet to win $150 outright,  almost no other bet you could do makes sense.  Plus there's the chance he calls with something you are ahead of (spade draw, overplayed TT). 

In my mind, on the flop first to act, assuming he doesnt have JJ. KK, AA (which you assumed by calling the 4 bet). Hes got to fold unless hes got KQss.  and if hes got AJ or 2 other random spades you are ahead of him (albeit barely on spades)

Once you check the flop and he bets that much, unless he has total "make a move air" hes committed to the pot, and its either fold if you think hes got you beat, or get it all in while you are ahead.

once the As hits  unless villain is a fucking lunatic or has EXACTLY  KQ with 1 spade, there is almost nothing he should reasonably have that you beat.  -I guess maybe KsTx - but thats a really iffy 4bet  - even with the button. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN

4 bets are so rare at 1-2, I could fold OOP. I prob call if UTG1 calls, but I’m pretty much just set mining at that point.

If I called pre, I check jam flop as he’d be pot committed to chase w AK. As played, you were pot committed going into turn. I’d probably donk jam here claiming the A, since I’d be calling anyway and maybe theres a slight chance I’d scare off KK.

I honestly can’t remember ever getting cold four-bet in a cash game. The guy put in 27% of his stack in preflop. With no history with him, I have to give him credit for AA, KK, AK, and maybe JJ, right?

I havent played since March, and my view may be skewed from the Texas card house appearances, but at $1/2  I have absolutely been cold 4 bet by AK,  numerous times, and AQ kinda often as well.   Ive also been 4 bet by 99-TT as well  (but I knew those players enough to have a feeling they were tilting)-  Ive also run into KK+ and called anyway and been wrong

in a cash game with only $250 at stake I think I just have to take my lumps against coolers pre flop and/ or undercard flops

It’s pretty much just AA, KK, QQ and AKs. Your HJ cold 3bet is at its widest TT+, AJs+, and AQ+. Button is just not fucking around with anything else w a 4bet unless he has strong reads on both of you or just hates money, especially since he still needs to see what you two are going to do, since you both could have monsters. He’s going to just call with all other strong hands.

Even if you narrow his range down preflop to JJ+ you are in a coin flip (50%) situation and you're 33% to call the 4-bet.

When the flop comes, you hope to set mine, but second best option is that undercard flop.  I'm shoving here.

You say you don't have a hand history, but what can you tell about the person?  An old man coffee type?  Young and aggressive?  This doesn't give you a definite range but does give you some reads.

Edited by Hugh G. Rection
maths