Anton Chigurh

2020 IndyCar Thread

Didn’t see one, so here’s one.

McLaren Arrow SP revealed their cars today.

Man, these look horrible. Not even from the screen but the liveries just suck.

6ab43b3851cfdc5861e2d0fd0c9589cd.jpg

2c02d0a9f05f6ce04360e5ef80e802bb.jpg

I've been hearing some rumors of Penske trying to put F1 back at Indy  ...  with V8SC on the same weekend.

Been wanting someone besides Oz to do this for a long time. Captain, make it so ...

He's really working the cross-promotion angles.

I don't love F1 at Indy but I'd certainly enjoy seeing the ozzie V8s there.  Or, you know, ANYWHERE in the US.

But they'll face the same problems at Indy they faced at COTA-- it's a long trip, far remote from all their other stops, logistics including spares were a major problem for them before and they would be again.  There were times when it looked more like an exhibition, going through the motions, than actual racing.  The weird shortened track layout didn't help.

Anyway, to really make it work out well for their series over here, I believe they need to line up SEVERAL dates in North America in sequence.

46 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't love F1 at Indy but I'd certainly enjoy seeing the ozzie V8s there.  Or, you know, ANYWHERE in the US.

But they'll face the same problems at Indy they faced at COTA-- it's a long trip, far remote from all their other stops, logistics including spares were a major problem for them before and they would be again.  There were times when it looked more like an exhibition, going through the motions, than actual racing.  The weird shortened track layout didn't help.

Anyway, to really make it work out well for their series over here, I believe they need to line up SEVERAL dates in North America in sequence.

I believe that may be what they intend to do, or  at least multiple dates, like Indy, Mexico City, maybe another U.S. track or two, and maybe S. America. Multiple stops make the trip over here make much more sense. Also, I really believe one of the big factors that led to them cancelling their COTA deal was lack of promotion by the promoter, much like the other series that have left COTA.

40 minutes ago, wood said:

I believe that may be what they intend to do, or  at least multiple dates, like Indy, Mexico City, maybe another U.S. track or two, and maybe S. America. Multiple stops make the trip over here make much more sense. Also, I really believe one of the big factors that led to them cancelling their COTA deal was lack of promotion by the promoter, much like the other series that have left COTA.

Maybe so, but I'm talking much less about what COTA did, and much more about how their series just isn't geared toward that type of international travel.  Even if COTA had promoted the hell out of it and attendance had been fantastic, it's still just one race, halfway around the world.  It doesn't make much financial sense.  Unless/until they are able to line up multiple dates in sequence on this quarter of the globe, it will continue not to make financial sense.  And even if they do a one-off at Indy, I'd expect similar problems with lack of spares and general lack of automotive maintenance infrastructure for their series, to lead to more exhibition-style racing, which is what I feel like I witnessed when they came here at first.

Anyway, probably more a topic for discussion on the general racing thread than the Indycar one, my apologies for the derail. :)

Too cold, wet, slippery, so Red Flag & stream will resume later ... so I went back to the beginning. Interesting comments by TK re: COTA not resurfacing the esses...

being able to see the dash and the helmet cams not being full of smudge 5 laps in is nice.  dunno if the former is due more to the overcast than aeroscreen

Andretti has an announcement coming tomorrow, which I believe will be Hinch in the car Alonso was going to run. I believe Alonso will run the 500 with McLaren, which goes counter to some telling me that Alonso has burned that bridge.