Jump to content
cmontexas

My Goddamn Cellphone Doesnt Work

Recommended Posts

My data is still intermittently cutting out or slowing to a crawl. I'm technically on Sprint (integrating with Tmobile) and haven't had any issues until last week when this started up. The real shitshow on service started on Sunday but ground to a halt Monday afternoon. ymmv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think about this, the more it doesn't add up. The maintenance window for network changes is usually the middle off the night with the least amount of traffic. That way if you bork something, not many people know about it. The outage started in the middle of the day. No way they were making a network change. Something catastrophically broke.

15 minutes ago, bolverk said:

My data is still intermittently cutting out or slowing to a crawl. I'm technically on Sprint (integrating with Tmobile) and haven't had any issues until last week when this started up. The real shitshow on service started on Sunday but ground to a halt Monday afternoon. ymmv

Re the Sprint network, I wondered how TMO is going to integrate Sprint into the TMO network. The BIG issue is that Sprint legacy network is CDMA and TMO's is GSM. Next Gen stuff is all IP based so that doesn't present as big of an issue. Sprint's CDMA network coverage is critical for the rural coverage. 4G is usually only in major metro areas and even there CDMA is required to cover dead spots. Sprint simply has not had the capital for 15+ years to expand their 4G coverage beyond major metro areas. My thinking of the shitty coverage is TMO maybe slowly killing the CDMA towers to where you are only on 4G which has a more limited coverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The more I think about this, the more it doesn't add up. The maintenance window for network changes is usually the middle off the night with the least amount of traffic. That way if you bork something, not many people know about it. The outage started in the middle of the day. No way they were making a network change. Something catastrophically broke.

Re the Sprint network, I wondered how TMO is going to integrate Sprint into the TMO network. The BIG issue is that Sprint legacy network is CDMA and TMO's is GSM. Next Gen stuff is all IP based so that doesn't present as big of an issue. Sprint's CDMA network coverage is critical for the rural coverage. 4G is usually only in major metro areas and even there CDMA is required to cover dead spots. Sprint simply has not had the capital for 15+ years to expand their 4G coverage beyond major metro areas. My thinking of the shitty coverage is TMO maybe slowly killing the CDMA towers to where you are only on 4G which has a more limited coverage.

There does appear to be a time of day factor in play with my service issues over the last week (other than Sunday/Monday) come to think of it. The actually periodic outages seem to start at night around 11pm onward and then are still present in the morning until 8am, so maybe that's what is going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

There does appear to be a time of day factor in play with my service issues over the last week (other than Sunday/Monday) come to think of it. The actually periodic outages seem to start at night around 11pm onward and then are still present in the morning until 8am, so maybe that's what is going on.

Yep, maintenance windows usually start around 11PM to 6 or 7AM. That's TMO "merging" the networks, and by merging I mean killing the CDMA network.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...