Chelsea 2020-2021: Campeones de Europa

ztejas

1 minute ago, MoJames said:

He touched him with his knee. It was a bad play by James. It was absolutely a flop but the issue was James messed up enough for that to be the situation.

You're right. Knee bump first then caught his foot/heel right after that.

Had Arsenal done that in the box against us I would have 100% cried pen and had no problem with them awarding it.

I agree James played it poorly then reached, creating a situation for a flopper to flop.  He's got to know better.

But the contact with the knee was after he'd already started going to ground.  And there was no click of the heel.  Watch it again.  That's far from a clear penalty; it's debatable at best.  Three different broadcasters have called it soft.

Pretty good first half. You'd like Pulisic to finish one of those chances but he and Chilwell have been brilliant down the left side and Giroud was able to capitalize on it. 

Defense looks fine although they haven't been tested much. Mendy still has too many WTF moments for my taste but a clean sheet is a clean sheet (so far).

Probably need a 2nd. Not sure I see us keeping them out of the net for another 45'.

So many chances. Not a bad 90' of football just couldn't finish anything. I thought Havertz flashed some quality. CHO looked good. Mount and Pulisic kind of meh. Chilwell easy MOTM for me. Kante was solid too. Jorginho was awful.

Also, not making excuses but, yeah, right.

20201228_132718.thumb.jpg.94edee8b6690aa30bc63e4b71471b915.jpg

50 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Pretty sure chelsea just got fucked on a hand ball that started that shit for the goal

I'd like to see a replay when Pulisic went down just outside the box at 87' or 88'. Looked like a foul to me. 

36 minutes ago, Scraps said:

It would be super to bang one of these corners home

It would have been. Too bad our corner service sucked shit all game. Had plenty of looks despite it. 

So becoming more and more apathetic to sports lately with the Horns and Chelsea floundering.

It's blantantly obvious we have no one in the midfield that can control the game.

Kante is doing his job, but he doesn't have an outside shot or ability to create

Kovacic has been fine, does his possession thing, but has no finishing ability and is not creative enough

Jorginho is not a good match with Kante but can't be played without him secondary to his defensive weaknesses. He hasn't been overtly creative either

Kai is timid and not comfortable, I really hope he figures it out and him and Kante for a solid paring

I'm almost for putting Mount back in the MF rotation to offer the outside shot, motor and at times, creative options

Billy might be the future, but I'm not sure he is the answer right now.

We need someone in the mold of our Manager, honestly. Not sure any of the above can fill that void.

I think if we figure out how to control the midfield, this team takes off again. We have a ton of energy from the wings, no matter who is playing out there. We have strikers who can finish (outside of Werner right now who will figure it out). Our defense and GK has been solid for the most part since Mendy was put in.

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

For some reason I had him playing wide. It was my bad.

I mean I get where you're coming from. Even when he's slotted at CM he plays more like an AM and seems to favor the final third as much as Kante plays back a bit. 

On one hand we are a completely different team with Ziyech so until he returns maybe we should be patient. On the other hand his absence alone should not be forcing us into some of these results. 

Say you assume Kai and Werner just never get it together. Like worst case scenario they are barely playable and stumble into an assist or goal once every 5 outings. Even then, if Pulisic could finish better, if we could get a little bit more from guys like CHO/Mount/Tammy and if we could clean up some of the boneheaded shit in the back third this team could look really good. What's irritating is that as close as they are to contending for the title or displaying the best form across the PL it seems that they are always just as close to playing like a middling side that can get decent results against smaller clubs but never show up against the more formidable sides. 

There's a lot of football to be played and we could be in a worse spot. If you look around, the rest of the PL seems to be dicking around almost as much and getting similar results. 

Is there a website to see when a group of players were on the pitch together?

Curious to see how often we've ran out Kante behind Kai and Mount. I know we did it quite a bit for a spell in Oct and had quite a bit of success, but I don't recall if it has been used recently.

No more excuses. Time to put up or shut up. New year - maybe we get some new results. 

Chelsea starting lineup (4-3-3):
Mendy | Chilwell, Silva, Zouma, Azpilicueta (c) | Mount, Kanté, Kovačić | Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech

Substitutes from: Arrizabalaga, Rüdiger, Emerson, Jorginho, Gilmour, Havertz, Hudson-Odoi, Abraham, Giroud

Go Blues

• Hook 'Em 1

Can someone explain to me why that isn't a foul?

Brilliant takeaway by Kante regardless.

And we are all over the place. Love the energy but we need to settle down a bit and look for better chances.

Edited by ztejas

I've tried to be patient and hold my tongue but we are a poorly managed team. There's no way around it at this point. 

Our back 4 looks like they've never played a game together in their lives. 

Edited by ztejas

• ztejas changed the title to Chelsea 2020-2021: Campeones de Europa