OU to Holocaust Survivor's Heir: Get Lost, Indian Giver: Your Nazi-Plundered Art Is Ours Now

MaybeACoordinator

OU still won’t give painting that was stolen by Nazis back to its rightful owner…

Back in November, when I was in the middle of dealing with a two-week power outage and pre-election anxiety, the NY Times dropped an update on the battle between OU and a holocaust survivor over the ownership of a French painting that was stolen by Nazi looters way back in the 1940s.

In case you forgot, the 1886 painting – La Bergère Rentrant des Moutons – was bequeathed to OU as part of a dead Oil Overlord’s art collection in 2000. In 2012, Léone Meyer – the granddaughter of the original owner and heiress to the Galeries Lafayette fortune – discovered that OU had the piece and, rightfully, asked for the University to return it to her family.

Since the painting is worth millions of dollars, and OU – like most universities – values money over ethics and principles, they refused and the matter went to the courts. Eventually, the sides agreed to some sort of weird shared custody agreement, where Meyer could have ownership of the painting and display it in France every couple of years, and then OU could have it and display it in a football suite or whatever every couple of years.

I guess that agreement hasn’t worked out too well and now Meyer wants to keep it in France forever. Despite the fact that the artwork was stolen by Nazis, OU still isn’t ready to give up.

Seriously, what is going on here?? I know OU’s mascot is named after a group of people who not only stole land from Native Americans, but also law-abiding white people who were legally waiting to steal the land, but that doesn’t mean the school has to hang onto everything they own that was stolen!

Fucking Nazis, man.