2018 Chicago Cubs

Disco Missile

What a kick in the nuts.  Lead the goddam division the entire second half and then piss it away.  Get to watch two teams celebrating on your homefield in back to back nights.

Congrats, Chili Davis.  You took one of the better hitting ball clubs and left them toothless this season.  6 fucking hits in a 13 inning game one night after being  held to one run.  This team has no fucking rakes right now.  

Joe might not be back, honestly. Let the dust settle and see how everyone feels. We ran out of gas coming down the stretch, the approach at the plate was terrible, we had guys this season who had multiple at bats and still only saw very few pitches. I dont know where the idea started for a change, hitting to all fields, but it was a disaster. I get it, make the offense more versatile, but it had the opposite effect.

8 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Watching two different teams celebrate on your field on consecutive nights?  It had BETTER piss them off.  I know I would be madder than a fucking hornet.

This. That said we can't be surprised at the outcomes of the last two days. They were carbon copies of how the Cubs have played the last month of the season. You can't be limping into the playoffs and expect to flip a switch. 

Both Lester and Q did their jobs and the O fucking sucked. Rinse, repeat.

The front office is going to have to earn their money as everyone currently on the roster (aside from Murphy and Justin Wilson) are signed through at least next year or have an option. 

Hey look on the bright side I would totally guess that Heyward will opt out of the last 5 years on his deal right................................

$23.0mm/year for Heyward's .252 avg. as a Cub and whopping 55rbi/season will certainly be impossible to replace.  

Bob Dernier won a gold glove out there among the Ivys at Wrigley as well, and he somehow found it possible to hit over .252

Joe might not be back, honestly. Let the dust settle and see how everyone feels. We ran out of gas coming down the stretch, the approach at the plate was terrible, we had guys this season who had multiple at bats and still only saw very few pitches. I dont know where the idea started for a change, hitting to all fields, but it was a disaster. I get it, make the offense more versatile, but it had the opposite effect.

I’ve thought that Joe tries too much to play everyone and everywhere. Injuries played a part but we haven’t had any consistency in our lineup all season.

$23.0mm/year for Heyward's .252 avg. as a Cub and whopping 55rbi/season will certainly be impossible to replace.  
Bob Dernier won a gold glove out there among the Ivys at Wrigley as well, and he somehow found it possible to hit over .252

We could trade Heyward by eating half his contract. He at least showed signs this year and had by far his best season at the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say any of the years between 2010-2015 were Heyward's "by far his best season at the plate", but okay.  I guess he struck out much less than he used to, so there's that.  

I’ve thought that Joe tries too much to play everyone and everywhere. Injuries played a part but we haven’t had any consistency in our lineup all season.
Lead off was a big question mark going into training camp and remained that way throughout.

Cubs had the best record in the national league up until 3 days ago.   A single hit here or there in either of the last two days and they finally get a day off (or three) and everything could be very different.

But agree with others, something went wrong after the all star break...Contreras, Almora Jr., Schwarber, Bryant, even Maddon seemed highly stressed immediately after the break.  Don't know what happened, but it's hard not to speculate that something was going on with Maddon or the front office.  

Remember the extremely negative article written about Maddon by one of the beat reporters?   Maybe that left a bad taste in his mouth...or maybe it was the consequence of an attitude change for Maddon.  

Edited by Monster

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The missing piece. 

The Chicago Cubs today acquired infielder Ronald Torreyes from the New York Yankees for a player to be named or cash considerations. Chicago's 40-man roster now stands at 39 players.

Torreyes, 26, is a career .281 hitter (162-for-576) with 30 doubles, six triples, four home runs and 56 RBI in 229 games covering parts of four major league seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers (2015) and Yankees (2016-18). Today marks a return to the Cubs organization for Torreyes, as he was originally acquired with pitcher Travis Wood and outfielder Dave Sappelt from the Cincinnati Reds for pitcher Sean Marshall on December 23, 2011. Torreyes appeared in parts of two seasons in the Cubs minor league system, reaching Double-A Tennessee, before being acquired by Houston on July 2, 2013.

The versatile Torreyes has seen big league action at second base (92 games), third base (74 games), shortstop (60 games) and right field (three games). He made his big league debut with the Dodgers in 2015 and played in a career-high 108 games with the Yankees in 2017, when he batted .292 (92-for-315) with 15 doubles, a triple, three home runs and 36 RBI. Last season, Torreyes split most of the year with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and the Yankees, batting .280 (28-for-100) in 41 games in the majors.

Torreyes originally signed with the Reds as a non-drafted free agent in 2010 and was traded to the Cubs a year later. He is a native of Libertador, Venezuela.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I trust Theo and know its way early but if they only add a few mid range players and keep the 40 man pretty much the same they are going to miss out on the last couple of years they have left on what was once a really promising window.

The Cubs really don't have room to do much. They're going to be well over $200m next year as is.

This is a popular drinking game in Wrigleyville.  Marry, Fuck, Kill, or have as your starting CF---Descalo, Dascenzo, DeRosa, or Dernier.  

Edited by Lobo

• 2 weeks later...