Things not going well in Mexico

qwertyu1234

The new governor of San Luis Potosi was convicted of money laundering for the zeta cartel in 2015. I'm sure that'll end well. This is how you get more heads in stuff. It'll be raining heads at this rate. 

If you judge it by the standard of All of Mexico Must Be Doing Well At The Same Time, it's been pretty awful most of the time. But since it's big with lots of distinct areas, lots of times 9/10s of the country might be OK while a small part sucks, and sucks theatrically.
EG in the early 2000s people were scared to go to the border because they were doing border antics, but where I lived in Colima it was Mayberry. Recently Colima was listed as dangerous as Afghanistan. I suppose that is not good.
I agree that the era of Pedro Infante and TinTan movies was probably the best in the past 100 years.

My time in Colima (Tecoman) was late 1996. I never felt unsafe for one minute. That included the beach time (Boca de Pasquales) and every where in town. We went to the rodeo, walked the streets drunk at night, and took cabs to the beach daily. The people there were unbelievably nice. The only time we were a little concerned was on New Year’s Eve when the bullets started flying. We retreated to our concrete walled hotel when the sun went down.
  • Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Hate said:

My time in Colima (Tecoman) was late 1996. I never felt unsafe for one minute. That included the beach time (Boca de Pasquales) and every where in town. We went to the rodeo, walked the streets drunk at night, and took cabs to the beach daily. The people there were unbelievably nice. The only time we were a little concerned was on New Year’s Eve when the bullets started flying. We retreated to our concrete walled hotel when the sun went down.

You were a little concerned about bullets? A little?

Well, they weren’t shooting them at us. They were just shooting up in the air…and I don’t mean pistols. It sounded like Afghanistan during the invasion in 2002. I don’t think they really cared much that the bullets will eventually come back down.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

I used to wander all up in the hills. Looking back, I was either in a crime-free Eden, or else innocently wandering through a hellscape where they figured I wasn't worth it. Things that helped me might be that I'd never come back the same way I went in, and the centralized nature of Big Time Mexican crime. Random teens egging each other on in the US scare me more than cartels.

I think I would have caught more hell if I looked Mexican. A few times I'd catch some little slights, whatever. My favorite was a bunch of guys calling me "pocho." Imagine some Black guys calling a White guy "oreo," that's the same sort of thing. For anybody who acted snitty, there were ten who were really nice.

At least on this board, along with the others who were there, I am the OG of psychotic Mexican cartel violence, a hipster of the genre, if you will, for I was in the immediate vicinity of the kidnapping of Mark Kilroy at 1989 Spring Break. They tried to get my best buddy before they got Kilroy. He told us this in real time -- he was assaulted and directed towards the back of a truck, but he fought them off. We heard this from him while still in Matamoros. 

If you don't know the Kilroy story, do your own research. It's horrific. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

I used to wander all up in the hills. Looking back, I was either in a crime-free Eden, or else innocently wandering through a hellscape where they figured I wasn't worth it. Things that helped me might be that I'd never come back the same way I went in, and the centralized nature of Big Time Mexican crime. Random teens egging each other on in the US scare me more than cartels.
I think I would have caught more hell if I looked Mexican. A few times I'd catch some little slights, whatever. My favorite was a bunch of guys calling me "pocho." Imagine some Black guys calling a White guy "oreo," that's the same sort of thing. For anybody who acted snitty, there were ten who were really nice.

Yeah, you must have gotten pretty lucky wandering up in the hills around Tecoman. I know there were a lot of grow fields up there. We used “order” a QP down at the beach and some kid would be sent off into the hills on a bike. About 30 minutes later, he’d come back with the biggest group of buds you’ve ever seen. They weren’t like the “popcorn” little buds you see today, but more like a corn on the cob sized buds. It wasn’t the quality of buds available now, but the pure quantity provided more than enough bang for the buck. I think we spent $8-10 per “order”.
  • Drool 1

42 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

At least on this board, along with the others who were there, I am the OG of psychotic Mexican cartel violence, a hipster of the genre, if you will, for I was in the immediate vicinity of the kidnapping of Mark Kilroy at 1989 Spring Break. They tried to get my best buddy before they got Kilroy. He told us this in real time -- he was assaulted and directed towards the back of a truck, but he fought them off. We heard this from him while still in Matamoros. 

That's frickin' terrifying.  I got a chill when I simply recognized the bridge in Nuevo Laredo where the cartels hung nine bodies.  You guys were way too close to that horror show.  It had been years since I'd been near the bridge in Laredo and still got creeped when I saw those pictures.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Topic always brings to mind Porfirio Diaz: "¡Pobre México! ¡Tan lejos de Dios y tan cerca de los Estados Unidos!" (Poor Mexico, so far from God and so close to the United States!).

Porfirio left out an even worse problem for Mexico, which was that it was in the exact same place as Porfirio Diaz.

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Yeah, you must have gotten pretty lucky wandering up in the hills around Tecoman. I know there were a lot of grow fields up there. We used “order” a QP down at the beach and some kid would be sent off into the hills on a bike. About 30 minutes later, he’d come back with the biggest group of buds you’ve ever seen. They weren’t like the “popcorn” little buds you see today, but more like a corn on the cob sized buds. It wasn’t the quality of buds available now, but the pure quantity provided more than enough bang for the buck. I think we spent $8-10 per “order”.

I was always up and down the old road between Tecoman and Colima that follows the rail line and goes through Madrid.

First time I ever went to Minatitlan, they got all googly-eyed and acted like I'd beamed in from outer space. I drank my coffee and moved on.

Another time I read about how there was a Revolution-Era massacre in Ixtlahuacan, so I drove down there to check out the area. Nothing to see that I remember, but my students wondered why I went there because that's where the insane asylum was.

When I first moved to Colima State I wondered why there was no direct route from Colima City to Manzanillo, so I took my little car and pushed it up some bushwhacker trails right into the thick of the mountains. It was a labyrinth of roads that would give out into gully-washed canyons, or just, like stop, maaan. Everybody watching me seemed friendly and you best believe I was polite. I finally found a dirt road nosing southward, and took it, and came out underneath Armeria*. Because I wasn't on a road, I was on a dry creek bed.

[*edit: underneath Cofradia de Juarez.]

Edited by RDCanecutter

• 2 weeks later...

In a way, all of us have an El Mencho to face. For some, shyness might be their El Mencho. For others, a lack of education might be their El Mencho. For us, El Mencho is a dangerous guy who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Mencho, who happens to be ... the actual El Mencho.

• Like 1

Haven't heads showing up where they shouldn't been going on for about two decades now?  I remember being disturbed about the violence on borderlandbeat.com back around the time VY was pantsing USC in the Rose Bowl.  What's new and improved with these heads?