South Africa Things Going On

Archer

55 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

We are going to try and move a few friends to Kenya and then go from there. All the South Africans I know who could get out did. Australia had a program that took in a lot of South Africans. 

Yeah, most of my friends had already made the move to Aus. Covid has fucked up a lot of those moves now.

On 7/15/2021 at 11:51 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

Lived in ZA off and on for a while. Buddy of mine phoned me this morning asking if I could help him GTFO and move his family here. Anyone know anything about work Visas???

On 7/15/2021 at 12:09 PM, InkaUtexas said:

We are going to try and move a few friends to Kenya and then go from there. All the South Africans I know who could get out did. Australia had a program that took in a lot of South Africans. 

I worked at a really large tech company, and have a former co-worker that worked here in Austin for a few years, and then went back home. Said company is trying to get those out of the country that want out.  Thankfully they are large enough they've got the legal and financial resources to work the various visa channels, and are getting them sent to their offices/facilities in other countries ( I guess spreading them out so that no one country balks at a large number coming in).

He said on Facebook that he felt like he was catching a helicopter off of a rooftop.  

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I thought it was relatively easy for commonwealth citizens to move among the other commonwealth countries?

His situation is complicated because his fiancé is not and he's not going anywhere without her and she without him (pedestal), and they couldn't get a fiancé visa.  I was thinking they were trying to spread them around or something to explain why some employees were going to different places, but it looks like it's covid causing them issues with certain countries. If this is accurate (plugin South Africa), they aren't popping into the good countries on short notice.

https://www.skyscanner.com/travel-restrictions

Edited by atomheartbevo

His situation is complicated because his fiancé is not and he's not going anywhere without her and she without him (pedestal), and they couldn't get a fiancé visa.  I was thinking they were trying to spread them around or something to explain why some employees were going to different places, but it looks like it's covid causing them issues with certain countries. If this is accurate (plugin South Africa), they aren't popping into the good countries on short notice.
https://www.skyscanner.com/travel-restrictions

Pretty much any commonwealth country would be better. It doesn’t have to be forever.

Go to the Bahamas, Belize, etc. work remote if you can. Wait tables if you have to. Get to Canada, Australia, etc. when you can.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I thought it was relatively easy for commonwealth citizens to move among the other commonwealth countries?

Nope. It was but not anymore. we pulled three friends out today. They are on tourist (90 day) visas in Kenya. We can pop them over into Uganda for a few days if need be and reset their visas. easy for adults, but how do we get their kids into schools? That is the hard one to solution.