Utah vs Colorado

LABEVO

We have fully embraced the nomadic lifestyle, and I have convinced my SO that we should live in either Utah or Colorado this Nov/Dec so I can ski / snowboard. I have skied in Colorado multiple times. Wanted to see which state/area is best to live/work/ski in Nov timeframe? What, how or where can we make this cost effective?

We both are fully remote for work so normal day time still need to work, but I am definitely going to take every chance I get to ski / snowboard. Need good restaurants and quality wifi so can't live in remote mountains for a month. 

Ideally, in somewhat of a town where SO can roam around with the dogs while I ski/snowboard. We have been doing this now for 2 months and just book long-term airbnbs so will do the same for these month(s).

How early does ski/snowboarding season start? I have skied and snowboard for years but never been close enough to go regularly so likely going to bite the bullet and purchase my own equipment too. Any recommendations?

If you’re all in for skiing I would base out of SLC or park city. It’s way more convenient to access all the resorts and I-70 is a full blown massacre on the weekends if you want to be out of Denver and enjoy city amenities on the weekdays. Alternatively you could live in a mountain town in Colorado, the most developed one is breckenridge for lifestyle at night. Frisco is another one to take a close look at. Also depends on what pass you’re buying. Will you go epic or ikon ? 

• Hook 'Em 1

To add a little detail, I currently live in Denver and I don’t try to ski on the weekends because it’s such a pain in the ass to day trip. I-70 can become a 2-3 hour ride each way up to Breckenridge / winter park.  I’m fortunate that I can go skiing on weekdays. I do love to board though and try to get 30 days a season or so. 

Edited by Johnny Chimpo
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 1:06 PM, Johnny Chimpo said:

If you’re all in for skiing I would base out of SLC or park city. It’s way more convenient to access all the resorts and I-70 is a full blown massacre on the weekends if you want to be out of Denver and enjoy city amenities on the weekdays. Alternatively you could live in a mountain town in Colorado, the most developed one is breckenridge for lifestyle at night. Frisco is another one to take a close look at. Also depends on what pass you’re buying. Will you go epic or ikon ? 

Don't sleep on Snowmass Steamboat. Much easier to go between Fort Collins and Snowmass  Steamboat as you avoid the I70 barrage. However it doesn't sound like OP will care about weekend traffic so much, and he's been to Colorado already. So Utah perhaps should be the choice. It's only a couple months. What could go wrong?

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

There are typically lots of rentals available in the Sandy UT area.  Drive up Little Cottonwood to ski Alta and the Bird.  Easy access to Big Cottonwood Canyon for Solitude and Brighton on days when they've got Little Cottonwood shut down due to weather.  Loop over to Park City on weekdays to ski/board Park and Deer.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Keep in mind -- it's Utah.  Nightlife won't be as good as in CO, but it sounds like you're there mostly for the skiing/boarding.  Plus you've already sampled CO, so time for something new.  Restaurant scene won't be especially great, but you're not far from SLC.  

• Hook 'Em 1