Fallout 76

BurntOrange&White

I still haven’t quite figured out if people can just come up and fuck with you. They definitely can’t before you get to level 5. Was just scrapping some equipment at a train yard and some level 20 jabroni started shouting at stuff nearby, so I skedaddled.

I like the Western swing on the radio. Also beach boys.

Ok, I've played this a bit more.  I'm into it at this point.  I'm fairly antisocial with games - I'll play Rocket League online a bit every now and then (although even then I'll often play 4v1 offline) but if I'm playing video games I'm not typically in an "interact with other people" mood.  So, I was worried that this was going to not really be a game for me (but wanted to start early so I could level up a bit while the game wasn't overloaded with level 50 griefers... not sure if the servers selectively pair you with people in your range).  I did get a perk right when leaving the vault in the luck tree which lets you take less damage when playing solo, which is nice.  So far, I haven't actually joined anyone's party or anything.  Obviously you come across other players - nobody has really fucked with me yet.  I was at the airport and an "event" kicked off where you defend against 5 waves of scorched (seems like this Fallout's version of Ghouls, which... different backstory with them also it seems) and there were a bunch of other people around (lot of early quest checkpoints there),  Was actually really fun, and I do get the sense that that is the way to get XP (and quest rewards, which is a lot of water and good weapons).  It seemed like a pretty cool low interaction way to be basically co-op playing with people.

You get hungry and thirsty all the god damn time.  I've never gone after the lead belly type perks, or endurance ones - I may have to do that in this game.  I played Fallout 4 as a stealthy gunslinger with a lot of luck.  I'm tending that way here but I think I need to be a little more careful with just going after combat perks.  The whole card system is interesting - seems like you pick up perk cards as you level up (and occasionally out in the world) and can mix and match what is active.  Maybe one card per SPECIAL level?  Can move your camp around, and I guess it also serves as a free fast travel point.  Definitely need to visit and scrap/dump all your junk.  And constantly be picking up wood.  The petrified people are a tragic touch.  Already this game has done a lot of the classic Fallout thing of... wander into some house and see evidence of some really twisted shit, or find a corpse next to a bloodstained wall in a closet and listen to the holo tape of the poor woman hiding from the scorchers.

At any rate - I sat down to play for an hour and played for 2.5. Gonna be jamming on this for a while.  I found this article, seems like good advice on early pointers for the game - 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/11/16/ten-things-i-wish-i-knew-when-i-started-fallout-76/#111699713c39

• Like 1

Industry "journalists" are ripping the game apart trying to top each other. It's humorous because these same people were decrying gamers for slamming blizzard for taking a mobile game and slapping a Diablo skin on it.

This game so far is exactly what I expected. It has some bugs and they need to iron that shit out. It's not nearly as terrible as reviews make it out to be. Just imagine fallout 4 but with better writing.

My fiancee got into this game.  So we've spent a couple of days a room apart from each other playing on the same server, doing quests together, shouting shit like "ah fuck, mole miners in the hotel! on the left!".  It is a fun way to play this game, and the collaboration makes it different.  I'm still enjoying this, despite no Nick Valentines or whatever.

Finally got around to putting some effort into my camp.  I really should have done this from the start, since you can get pretty far just using wood, and you can pick up wood from anywhere.  Also because when I moved my camp to a semi permanent spot, I lost my crafting tables.  Apparently when you move camps, anything that's not on a foundation can get lost.  Not sure if that's a bug or not, but it sucked having to use some of my more scarce resources to build shit I had already built.

Fiancee ran into some problems building an elaborate camp that she had a hard time reassembling when she got placed in a map where it had to be moved.  I tried to keep it to a smallish footprint and two stories, hopefully that will make that easier.

A couple things after playing about 15 hours:

-Cook any meat you get and eat it first.  It has a condition that deteriorates over time, save the processed stuff for when you really need it.

-If you put junk into your stash it will not get broken down by the scrap all junk.  You need to put it back on your person, scrap it and then put it back in the stash.  Stuff like wood, steel, glass is very common and you should bulk the extra and sell it to a robot vendor.  The first one you come across is in the church in Flatwoods.  This is the best way to get caps early and you won't feel wastefull paying to fast travel or move your camp.

-On storage, scrap just about all the weapons or armor you find and are not using unless it is unique. By scrapping you learn all the mods.

-Water is a huge pain, but there is an early solution (very mild spoiler):

Spoiler

I did this at level 10.  Head up to the NW part of the map and find the workshop at the Tyler County Dirt Track just west of the big ferris wheel on the map. Claim the workshop of 25 caps and you will be given the plans for the small water purifier (even though it doesn't tell you this) that can be placed in dirt.  Give it 8 power at you camp and it will produce 12 purified water per hour played. You can build a personal stash box at the workshop, so just set up some defenses, collect the aluminum scrap until someone takes the workshop from you.

wait does meat deteriorate after you cook it?  definitely figured out everything was spoiling quickly early on, would be news to me if the grilled radstag I'm carrying around is losing HP.

It took me a while to figure out that a weapon doesn't need to have an attribute to learn a thing by scrapping it.  I need to grab more weapons and junk them.

Mother fuck.  Right you are.

Picked up some side quest to investigate a mystery at a manor, found some sort of... vigilante headquarters in the basement, sent out to investigate a town, FUCKING HIVE OF HIGH LEVEL SUPER MUTANTS.  This game is fun with two people on a team - we got the shit kicked out of us, totally surprised.  Went back, took opposite ends of the town, I managed to get up a fire escape, picking the mutants off and coordinating to get them running back and forth between us.  I love the characters in other Fallout games, but this is fun.

Yeah, finally. Another patch next week that I think adds in special respec.

I spend a lot more time in the game than I think. The stories on Reddit of people interactions are hilarious. The guy that hid in someone else's base on the roof and was doing the Jason Vorheeves sound in the mic. That's fucking great.

Patch out today that increases stash size to 600 and addresses other issues.

Man I'm an idiot - I thought the combat rifle was automatic.  I've been running around using a hunting rifle and a pipe revolver rifle at level 25.  I just quit for the night and did some googling to figure out how I'm supposed to level up to a better semi auto and want to fire it back up.  Fuck, so many wasted screws.

• 1 month later...

Got a bit of a funny story.  My buddies and I meet up and still play this on Mondays.  I had rolled a newer character to mess around with a Sniper build after getting a Melee guy up to about 80.  I log into my lower level Sniper and start working around my house.  A little later some shmuck comes along and starts fucking with my base.  This has become a frequent occurrence lately if you're not sneaking (Keeps you off radar), so I temporarily log out so my base gets packed up and stays safe, then I wait for my buddies to let me know the guy moves on.  I log back into their world to find someone else has put a house down in the same spot as my base.  Turns out the 1st shmuck's buddy was trying to log in and my house was in his spot, so they were trying to run me off the land effectively.

Well, it turns out that while his first floor door is locked the second floor was not.  I was able to use the Marsupial mutation to jump to the 2nd floor and get into his house, then lay down in his bed.  This pisses the owner off something fierce, including the 1st shmuck who has returned.  They start shooting me up of course, but because of the bed regeneration and the PVP damage reduction they can't put a dent in me.  I eventually get out of bed after they relent for a bit, only to find they pick the bed up.  Shooting resumes, but I keep moving between the two floors of the house and allowing regeneration and a handful of Stimpacks to keep me up.  They bring a 3rd buddy into the mix and they still can't kill me.  This goes on for an hour and a half!  At this point my buddies and I are just laughin' and they're sending strongly worded messages in PSN.  After awhile one of my buddies starts crawling through a nuclear silo with the intent of dropping a Nuke on them for shits and giggles.  The other buddy starts lighting up their base with an explosive weapon (preNerf), and unfortunately that prompts the three of them to log out just before the Nuke gets dropped.  In an effort to try and keep them there long enough and engaged in messages before the Nuke came I had started faking an apology to the house owner and was able to get him to accept my Friend Request, so the long game is to revenge Nuke him at a later time.  Bottom line:  don't fuck with my base.

It may seem like a colossal waste of time, but it was entertaining as hell watching them waste a shit ton of ammo and send pissed off messages.

• Like 2

I also have a friend pretty high up in the dev of Fallout 76, hes not allowed to talk about such things
Yeah I try not to bug my friend very much about any details. Just words of encouragement since it's been a bit of a fiasco with the release and mouth breather going out of their way to bash the game.
Your friend have the initials CM?

On 2/15/2019 at 6:26 PM, Jersey Man10 said:
On 2/15/2019 at 1:37 PM, vtaenz said:
I have a friend fairly high up there.

How are they dealing with the backlash? Going no NPCs was a mistake lol

Eh, I don't ask about it. For the people that actually played the game without an agenda it's not bad and it has the potential to be enjoyable. I mentioned it before but I think like how the Division was when it first came out compared to how it is now or Destiny (never played but heard people liked it a lot more after several updates but were disappointed at release.).

• 3 months later...

I'm moderately interested.

I died almost all the way through the last mission.  Was playing with my wife and she got fucking lost trying to find her way out of the big room and just... swarm after swarm, and we made it out but died a bit further down.  With all of my armor busted and my ammo depleted... and I was broken of that game.  But with NPCs and some other new stuff, maybe i'll dust it off.

They claimed that they had a plan, "Year 1 would be the players coming out of the vault, and settling the land. Once that's done then Year 2 would be NPCs hearing about the Vault dwellers and then coming back to reclaim the land now that the players did all the hard work."  Not sure if that's blowing smoke or not, but it does make a certain amount of sense from a development timeline perspective. From a practicality stance though, you're relying on people to stick around with nothing to do for a year.

• 2 months later...

I don’t know how many of you are still playing, or even planning to play in the future, but I’ll be joining Bethesda Austin in a couple of weeks to work on F76...which means I want to hear about the stuff you like and dislike.

Mostly dislike, because I’m the type that seeks out those issues, looks at data, prioritizes stuff, and gets things addressed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LonghornJudas said:

I don’t know how many of you are still playing, or even planning to play in the future, but I’ll be joining Bethesda Austin in a couple of weeks to work on F76...which means I want to hear about the stuff you like and dislike.

Mostly dislike, because I’m the type that seeks out those issues, looks at data, prioritizes stuff, and gets things addressed.

That's awesome! I'll see if I can compile a list.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 3:48 PM, LonghornJudas said:

Still playing, around Level 50.  The game has gotten a lot better since launch, but there are still some issue.  I will put a list together.  Just off the top of my head, it would be nice if weapon/armor mods that you have not learned yet be grayed out in the modification menu.  Also, you should be able to bulk more junk.  I had had 600+ waste antiseptic in my stash and had no idea it was taking up so much weight because it never showed up in the bulk menu.

Edited by Dr Fear

Awesome. Is Chris still the lead?
I don't this is something you can change and I get the lore behind it, but I hate the UI. It's awful for PC and I wish it could get an update. It feels clunky and difficult to use.

My screen feels very busy and I wish there was a way to scale the UI. I don't need the quest text to take up half my screen.

When I log in, I don't always feel like I know what I want to do. I can see the quests on the map but I'm not sure if it's worth my time to do them. I love exploring but I sometimes need that incentive, the "what's around this corner?" motivation.

The what should I do today with my limited time doesn't feel real fluid. I guess think about how the division 2 does their daily stuff. It's not perfect but it gives me some guidance on daily and weekly things to do.

Also wearing power armor indoors, there's a bug where you can't move until after you hold down wasd for like 10 seconds. Fix that please.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, vtaenz said:

Awesome. Is Chris still the lead?
I don't this is something you can change and I get the lore behind it, but I hate the UI. It's awful for PC and I wish it could get an update. It feels clunky and difficult to use.

My screen feels very busy and I wish there was a way to scale the UI. I don't need the quest text to take up half my screen.

When I log in, I don't always feel like I know what I want to do. I can see the quests on the map but I'm not sure if it's worth my time to do them. I love exploring but I sometimes need that incentive, the "what's around this corner?" motivation.

The what should I do today with my limited time doesn't feel real fluid. I guess think about how the division 2 does their daily stuff. It's not perfect but it gives me some guidance on daily and weekly things to do.

Also wearing power armor indoors, there's a bug where you can't move until after you hold down wasd for like 10 seconds. Fix that please.

Yeah, Chris was the first person I interviewed with.

I’ll be working more on the technical side, but the UI could absolutely use an update, along with scaling, and even the ability to customize the arrangement.

As for knowing what to do, I totally agree. I presented this as one of the challenges going forward. There’s still a bit of a communication issue. What is this game? What do you want people to do? How do we get people engaging in those events? We’re also spending time on Battle Royal, and a beta permadeath mode, but is that what people want or are just following the leader? We went over a lot of stuff...

i can always look to see where the power armor bug is in the list, but I won’t have any control on the priority of that. I also ran into the bug where you die instantly down near Glassed Cavern, and other places, so the bug is still active and that certainly needs to be fixed. Further changes to the weights and junk also need to be made.

• Like 3

Yeah, Chris was the first person I interviewed with.
I’ll be working more on the technical side, but the UI could absolutely use an update, along with scaling, and even the ability to customize the arrangement.
As for knowing what to do, I totally agree. I presented this as one of the challenges going forward. There’s still a bit of a communication issue. What is this game? What do you want people to do? How do we get people engaging in those events? We’re also spending time on Battle Royal, and a beta permadeath mode, but is that what people want or are just following the leader? We went over a lot of stuff...
i can always look to see where the power armor bug is in the list, but I won’t have any control on the priority of that. I also ran into the bug where you die instantly down near Glassed Cavern, and other places, so the bug is still active and that certainly needs to be fixed. Further changes to the weights and junk also need to be made.
That's cool, haven't spoken to him in a while.

Crafting also feels unfulfilling. It's a means to an end for the most part because I want to tote around a M2 but have to craft .50cal ammo all the time.
The way you discover mods for weapons is ugly. I'm scraping all these weapons without knowing if there is anything to actually unlock. Do I need to have certain perks to unlock specific mods via crafting disassembly? I like the idea behind it but it feels convoluted in practice. I would almost want a system that let's me know what mods I haven't discovered. But that defeats that mini excitement you get when you do discover something kind of.

I'M not sure if this is in yet but when you launch a bike nuke, it would be neat if the event and monsters changed completely depending on the location.
Like white springs mostly had ghouls. Does the North West area have sloths? I only ever do White springs and the main area South East. What if you killed x number of enemies and then some bad ass came out? Or maybe a trio with different abilities that got stronger when one dies?
I love the nukes but think diversity in them could be really cool.

I love exploring everything fallout and that's what keeps me interested. I'm not everyone else though but whenever I get to discover a location and a bunch of secret government or corporate stuff I enjoy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vtaenz said:

That's cool, haven't spoken to him in a while.

Crafting also feels unfulfilling. It's a means to an end for the most part because I want to tote around a M2 but have to craft .50cal ammo all the time.
The way you discover mods for weapons is ugly. I'm scraping all these weapons without knowing if there is anything to actually unlock. Do I need to have certain perks to unlock specific mods via crafting disassembly? I like the idea behind it but it feels convoluted in practice. I would almost want a system that let's me know what mods I haven't discovered. But that defeats that mini excitement you get when you do discover something kind of.

I'M not sure if this is in yet but when you launch a bike nuke, it would be neat if the event and monsters changed completely depending on the location.
Like white springs mostly had ghouls. Does the North West area have sloths? I only ever do White springs and the main area South East. What if you killed x number of enemies and then some bad ass came out? Or maybe a trio with different abilities that got stronger when one dies?
I love the nukes but think diversity in them could be really cool.

I love exploring everything fallout and that's what keeps me interested. I'm not everyone else though but whenever I get to discover a location and a bunch of secret government or corporate stuff I enjoy it.

Yeah, some really good points there regarding crafting. If I had to guess though...new functionality won’t be rolled out in F76. That’s something they would save for a new Fallout title release.

I like the idea of monsters changing. I mean they should mutate based on being exposed to high radiation, right? Kind of in the same conversation, but I really loved how Shadow of Mordor handled those player deaths with the promotion of the enemy. I think that would be something interesting within the world.

I really dig how much content is there, but I spend a lot of time solo, so I have really enjoyed the BoS and Enclave quest lines, and even more so the Sam Blackwell line with Modus. Discovery and the stories are a really strong part of the series.

I’m really excited to start. I mean I played Wasteland on the Apple ][e and of FO and FO2 at launch. It’s truly one of my favorite franchises.

• Like 2

Yeah, some really good points there regarding crafting. If I had to guess though...new functionality won’t be rolled out in F76. That’s something they would save for a new Fallout title release.
I like the idea of monsters changing. I mean they should mutate based on being exposed to high radiation, right? Kind of in the same conversation, but I really loved how Shadow of Mordor handled those player deaths with the promotion of the enemy. I think that would be something interesting within the world.
I really dig how much content is there, but I spend a lot of time solo, so I have really enjoyed the BoS and Enclave quest lines, and even more so the Sam Blackwell line with Modus. Discovery and the stories are a really strong part of the series.
I’m really excited to start. I mean I played Wasteland on the Apple ][e and of FO and FO2 at launch. It’s truly one of my favorite franchises.
Fallout is my number one game all time. Just anyone that plays the first hour or two of it, you get a real sense of the hopelessness and survival mentality of it. Maybe because it's so bleak and desolate.

Would love to have lockpick and hacking rolled into one card or some type of internet ability. Such a pain that it takes up 3 slots each and you pretty much just swap them out whenever you need them.

Maybe have a safe zone loadout. Think of it as dual specialization. On the wasteland you have your normal combat loadout. In a designated safe zone you could utilize a very specific crafting focused one, meaning all your special abilities and everything are changed to what you set without you having to swap out special points.

I like the card system, maybe a way to have different or improved versions of cards. Maybe those are dropped by enemies. Better cards drop off harder enemies. Could even just be a cosmetic effect added to a card. It might really break the game though for some people.

The enclave quest line into the nuke silo was fantastic. I love the stories and exploration it can't be said enough, the problem when churning that out is we consume it once and then it's been exhausted. Not sure how you could create a type of story line that could provide a whole lot new depending on the path you take. I guess that would fall more under traditional rpg quest lines where you could talk your way through, fight your way through, or sneak your way through.

13 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

Would love to have lockpick and hacking rolled into one card or some type of internet ability. Such a pain that it takes up 3 slots each and you pretty much just swap them out whenever you need them.

They should be totally separate from perk cards, the should be something like auto with level, say:

Pick 1:  Level 10

Hack 1: Level 20

Pick 2: Level 30

Hack 2: Level 40

Pick 3: Level 50

Hack 3: Level 50

They should be totally separate from perk cards, the should be something like auto with level, say:
Pick 1:  Level 10
Hack 1: Level 20
Pick 2: Level 30
Hack 2: Level 40
Pick 3: Level 50
Hack 3: Level 50

Or maybe you go on a mini quest for them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 1:51 PM, Dr Fear said:

Just off the top of my head, it would be nice if weapon/armor mods that you have not learned yet be grayed out in the modification menu.

And my wife says I don't spend enough time helping others....

Weapon and Armor Mod Counts – A number of players have asked for a way to see how many mods they have left to unlock for different types of weapons and armor. Going forward, Weapon and Armor Workbenches will now show the number of mods you’ve unlocked so far and the total number of mods available for an object.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/cx2fan/fallout_76_inside_the_vault_upcoming_fixes_and/

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. Just a quick update. Starting my 3rd week and pretty much up to speed on everything. I'm spending time with the Live team right now just learning all the tools and processes. Speaking of, the next catalog update you see (Tuesday) will have been put together by yours truly. I have dealt with a lot of live products before, just not at this scale, but most of the processes are still similar. I should be off and rolling on my own and moving into production in the next couple of weeks.

So far, I'm really impressed with all the people at BGSA. Some really great people here.

Update wise, we have some really cool stuff coming down the pipe that I think people will enjoy. Looking forward to getting it all out.

• Like 3

Biggest thing for me, and why I've taken a break after finishing the last mission, is just the stability of the game. Sometimes it can still be pretty rough. All that said, the last things I did was the Fasnacht event as it was probably the way the game was meant to be played. Doing the short event and also doing the later big boss (though, I think that was a different event) was really fun and brought the entire server into the same spot. 

I'll definitely be back for Wastelanders though. The game has some great ideas, but can also be frustrating at certain points (e.g. the guy who quit at the last mission when being swarmed - had a similar experience where the game crashed right before I launched the nuke. Thankfully, BGSA responded back to my e-mail pretty quick and was re-motivated to do it.)

• 4 weeks later...