Jump to content
sidis

Composition Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sidis said:

Awesome. 3:00 -3:50 was fire. Intro was good grabber as well. 
 

is that just a distortion pedal? Or fuzz? What kind of guitar?

Thanks.  The guitar is a Gibson ES-330 hollowbody guitar.  It’s become my favorite.

ES3018SBNH1_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg

I’m running it into a Line6 Helix LT amp/effect modeling unit.  

line-6-helix-lt.jpg

In the Helix I have a digital signal chain that includes a Klon centaur overdrive into a Supro amp and some delay, reverb and eq.

The Helix goes direct to DAW.

Edited by Goredho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New song I just finished up.  It’s got a lot of crazy ass shit going on — Irish folk, world, funk/hip hop, jazz.  It’s been a big musical stretch for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, really big departure from your previous work...bongos for god sake.  sounds really good.  is the funk bass in there a software instrument or did you record?

love the interlude starting at 3:15, perfectly timed.

nice job all around.  feels like you could have put a little more of your guitar flourishing skills into the last 60 seconds or so to create some more climax instead of it feeling like as much of a outro-jam but that may have been what you are going for.  i'm also just envious of your left hand skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks, and good point about the end.  Honestly, this song has been a bit of a struggle to finish.  The first 4-5 parts came without effort, and then figuring out how to wrap it all up has been vexing to me.  I think the licks at the end reflect that I was ready to just finish it already :D

The "bass" is my ES-330 guitar with a preset made on the Helix.  Basically a pitch shift down two octaves and a little envelope filter to give it a slight auto-wah and make it sound funkier.

Edit:  The drums and bongos and other percussion are loops that I found and enjoyed playing with.  I actually started with that and wrote everything else around it.  Everything else was played on either my ES-330 or Les Paul with sound shaping with the Helix.

Edited by Goredho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that helix is badass.  i bought what is essentially the toy version of that in the rigstomp.  see here:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigstompio/

it works okay for fiddling around but not really very nice sounding imo once it is time to record.

one of the benefits of the logic daw is there an absolute assload of rock/indie/etc... rhythm loops to draw upon.  can save a lot of time.

anyway, nice work.  keep them coming.  

 

i just recently got a notification on soundcloud last week that i had qualified for distribution to spotify/apple music/amazon/etc...  i have to put together a release with everything including album artwork for review this week.  struggling to figure out which foot to put forward for best potential of getting approved.  even though there would be no listens, would still be cool to be able to say it is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, sidis said:

that helix is badass.  i bought what is essentially the toy version of that in the rigstomp.  see here:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigstompio/

it works okay for fiddling around but not really very nice sounding imo once it is time to record.

one of the benefits of the logic daw is there an absolute assload of rock/indie/etc... rhythm loops to draw upon.  can save a lot of time.

anyway, nice work.  keep them coming.  

 

i just recently got a notification on soundcloud last week that i had qualified for distribution to spotify/apple music/amazon/etc...  i have to put together a release with everything including album artwork for review this week.  struggling to figure out which foot to put forward for best potential of getting approved.  even though there would be no listens, would still be cool to be able to say it is there.

Thanks.  There is a Helix native plugin that would work as a plugin for logic if you ever feel limited by what is there.  I went with the hardware model because I planned to play live this year, but that goal may be out.  I like the idea of being able to export presets from my live rig into my daw and vice versa.  But usually some EQ tweaking has to happen for one context or the other.

I would be very interested in your experiences self-publishing to different platforms.  Seems like a lot of people on the logic/garageband FB groups are using DistroKid.  I was going to get 8 or so solid songs that I was happy with together and look into publishing something.

https://distrokid.com/

Edited by Goredho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, sidis said:

 

Love it.  I really dig the melancholy discordance in the piano underpinning everything.  Evokes a negative outcome of conflict.  Would be a great mood piece for a soundtrack when the chips are down and it looks like things are going to turn out for the worst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks dude. Admittedly, I ripped off part of the theme but I still had fun developing my own chord progression and instrumentation, as well as the piano solo. 

on the solo note, I have a theme/sketch of a kind of a creepy Scandinavian noir crime show score song I just started that I think might be ripe for some highly distorted guitar. When I have something to share, I will pm the sketch to you to see if you have any thoughts on whether you think you could enhance it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sidis said:

Thanks dude. Admittedly, I ripped off part of the theme but I still had fun developing my own chord progression and instrumentation, as well as the piano solo. 

on the solo note, I have a theme/sketch of a kind of a creepy Scandinavian noir crime show score song I just started that I think might be ripe for some highly distorted guitar. When I have something to share, I will pm the sketch to you to see if you have any thoughts on whether you think you could enhance it. 

Sounds good, let me know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scoring sound for this one.  Going for creepy and dark shit that matches up with the type of Scandinavian crime shows that are all over netflix where everyone is a pedophile or childhood rape victim or some shit.  

goredho, still think it needs some gritty, distorted guitar tones in the second half to replace some of the pad sounds if anything comes to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I will see about putting something to it, just got slammed at work.  Will have some time this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I'm digging the stuff I'm hearing.  Not sure the range intended for the thread, but I do have a tune I wrote, played by my band with my daughter singing lead that I can share as soon as I finish the mix.  It's pretty alt-rock, though.  Not exactly "composition".

Speaking of her, she needs scoring software for her music theory class, like ASAP.  Thanks for the warning, daughter.  Pretty basic functionality would be fine.  What would be the preferred, cheap option?  "Free" is optimal.  Thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks, @jimmyjazz, assuming I’m included in that.  If she wants to use anything I’ve posted, I’m cool with just an attribution and getting to see what she puts together if possible.  Work has decided to take advantage of the fact the company is doing better than ever in the covid-19 world and is tightening the screws, so I don't have time atm to do anything new or edit.

edit:  post your stuff, would love to hear it.

Edited by Goredho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Thanks, @jimmyjazz, assuming I’m included in that.  If she wants to use anything I’ve posted, I’m cool with just an attribution and getting to see what she puts together if possible.  Work has decided to take advantage of the fact the company is doing better than ever in the covid-19 world and is tightening the screws, so I don't have time atm to do anything new or edit.

edit:  post your stuff, would love to hear it.

Thanks, but the tune she has to score has already been set.  Your stuff is definitely included in the list of "stuff I'm digging".  This whole thread is pretty impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really dig your stuff @sidis. I'm a big Max Richter/ambient fan so that stuff connected with me.

Also love the guitar work @Goredho. Real fun stuff and impressive playing.

Hopefully I'll have something to contribute soon. Going to get a 2BR at my next place so I can have a dedicated studio around September. Haven't recorded much since high school/my first two years at UT. Have ~300 voice memos I need to consolidate and convert into songs. Think I have a rough outline of a 10 song album. Will have plenty of recording questions for this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Cashdaddyblumpkins said:

Really dig your stuff @sidis. I'm a big Max Richter/ambient fan so that stuff connected with me.

Also love the guitar work @Goredho. Real fun stuff and impressive playing.

Hopefully I'll have something to contribute soon. Going to get a 2BR at my next place so I can have a dedicated studio around September. Haven't recorded much since high school/my first two years at UT. Have ~300 voice memos I need to consolidate and convert into songs. Think I have a rough outline of a 10 song album. Will have plenty of recording questions for this thread.

Thanks, appreciate it.  I would love to see more people contributing to this thread and sharing compositions/recordings/ideas, so welcome aboard.  I am happy to share what I have learned about recording guitar-centric stuff and using garage band as a DAW.  My entry point into home recording started with 3 pieces of software/gear.

First is GarageBand, which is a free DAW from apple that you can download to any mac from their app store (still using, but hoping to upgrade to Logic Pro X soon so I can collaborate better with Sidis and a few others I know using it):

1-garageband-for-mac-v10-1-hero.png

Second was this Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 audio interface that cost $68 that I could plug my guitar and/or a mic direct into my computer (since replaced with my Line 6 Helix LT):

UMC22-large.jpg.auto.webp

Third were these crappy $99 ProSonus Eris E3.5 powered speakers that I am still using for studio monitors (but want to upgrade soon):

eris_e35-02.png
I already owned a mac and guitars, so my total investment to dip my toes in the water of home recording was $167.  You can probably do it a little cheaper, but not by a lot.  Depending on what your ideas are, you might also need to invest in a mic. I am no help there as I cannot sing a lick but I made sure to have an interface to support it in case I decided to mic my amps or hooked up with a band with a singer, neither of which has happened yet.  All the drums on my stuff are either GarageBand's virtual drummer that you set some parameters for and it generates a beat or percussion loops.  Everything else you hear in my stuff are guitars, with bass sounds being pitch shifted guitar.  I need to invest in a short scale bass at some point.

Edited by Goredho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What I need to learn about is how to transcribe and print out sheet music.  That was the gist of my original question.  (I mean, I know how to read music, but I don't know anything about software like Finale, etc., and I don't want to be spending a lot on this class project for my daughter.)

Edited by jimmyjazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What I need to learn about is how to transcribe and print out sheet music.  That was the gist of my original question.  (I mean, I know how to read music, but I don't know anything about software like Finale, etc., and I don't want to be spending a lot on this class project for my daughter.)

Ahh, I misunderstood, sorry :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Spoiler

 

I appreciate the write up! So I actually have a little bit of experience with garage band, having had a Mac a few years back (and the phone app is surprisingly robust). That being said I originally used Logic Pro X since i was on Mac OS and the learning curve wasn't too bad (I also had friends that were using it and could guide me). That Mac has since gone to shit, but I did replace it with a 2017 MacBook Pro. Unfortunately that Mac hums so loudly when it's running anything remotely memory-heavy, so I chose not to dish out $200 to have Logic and use that computer as my recording machine. Now I have a pretty capable Windows laptop that can handle memory-intensive programs much better, so I'm moving forward with Windows OS for now. So I'm still trying to land on a Windows OS DAW. I downloaded Reaper and it's easy enough at first glace, but I haven't yet recorded a full song, so jury is still out.

I was also using a Focusrite Scarlett as my audio interface when I started, which I lost in college but have since replaced. So I have an interface at least.

Unfortunately I don't have any monitors. Waiting to move until I get some, but since I already have an interface and all of my guitar/pedals/amps I might splurge on some nice Yamahas. Will definitely circle back before I purchase anything.

So really I just need to decide on a DAW, and I might stick with Reaper (it's free too). Would LOVE to have a Mac desktop to run Logic or GarageBand through, but they're SO expensive.

Edited by Cashdaddyblumpkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cashdaddyblumpkins said:
  Reveal hidden contents

 

I appreciate the write up! So I actually have a little bit of experience with garage band, having had a Mac a few years back (and the phone app is surprisingly robust). That being said I originally used Logic Pro X since i was on Mac OS and the learning curve wasn't too bad (I also had friends that were using it and could guide me). That Mac has since gone to shit, but I did replace it with a 2017 MacBook Pro. Unfortunately that Mac hums so loudly when it's running anything remotely memory-heavy, so I chose not to dish out $200 to have Logic and use that computer as my recording machine. Now I have a pretty capable Windows laptop that can handle memory-intensive programs much better, so I'm moving forward with Windows OS for now. So I'm still trying to land on a Windows OS DAW. I downloaded Reaper and it's easy enough at first glace, but I haven't yet recorded a full song, so jury is still out.

I was also using a Focusrite Scarlett as my audio interface when I started, which I lost in college but have since replaced. So I have an interface at least.

Unfortunately I don't have any monitors. Waiting to move until I get some, but since I already have an interface and all of my guitar/pedals/amps I might splurge on some nice Yamahas. Will definitely circle back before I purchase anything.

So really I just need to decide on a DAW, and I might stick with Reaper (it's free too). Would LOVE to have a Mac desktop to run Logic or GarageBand through, but they're SO expensive.

Cool!  Sounds like you are well on your way, and just need those monitors when you get the space.

I looked at Reaper a bit but figured I'd work with GB until I felt limited, and I really have yet to feel that way.  Since I've gotten started, I've made some connections with people I want to collaborate with and they all use Logic Pro X, so when I move up in the world, it will be in that direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cool!  Sounds like you are well on your way, and just need those monitors when you get the space.

I looked at Reaper a bit but figured I'd work with GB until I felt limited, and I really have yet to feel that way.  Since I've gotten started, I've made some connections with people I want to collaborate with and they all use Logic Pro X, so when I move up in the world, it will be in that direction.

Logic Pro X seems to be the most widely used DAW in my circles. I’m holding out hope that it can still be an option for me in the future. Hell, maybe after the layoff at my company we have some Macs leftover that IT might be willing to sell for cheap...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Reaper.  I think it sounds as good as anything, better than most, and it's incredibly powerful.  I pay for a license since I do a little bit of work for $, but the fact that you can get it for free is . . . well, that's hard to beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Hey, I'm digging the stuff I'm hearing.  Not sure the range intended for the thread, but I do have a tune I wrote, played by my band with my daughter singing lead that I can share as soon as I finish the mix.  It's pretty alt-rock, though.  Not exactly "composition".

Speaking of her, she needs scoring software for her music theory class, like ASAP.  Thanks for the warning, daughter.  Pretty basic functionality would be fine.  What would be the preferred, cheap option?  "Free" is optimal.  Thanks.

 

good god man, put it up.  there are zero limitations on this thread.  we have everything under the sun.  goredho's channeling stevie vai and joe satriani, while phd is putting up carribean disco, ztejas is putting up his r&b, and i'm throwing out every random ass thing i put together.  the more, the better in getting this thread some momentum and providing some inspiration.  composition just means you wrote it or arranged it.

if she needs scoring software that has "basic functionality," the better daws have it...logic, ableton, cubase.  their scoring is okay and is a bit better than basic functionality, but it definitely isn't professional like sibelius or something like that.  If she is going to record, just do a one-time investment in one of the good daws and she will not only hugely upgrade her recording experience, but also get the automatic scoring as a part of it. also, just fyi, apple is doing free three month use of logic right now during covid. pretty cool.

 

4 hours ago, Cashdaddyblumpkins said:

Really dig your stuff @sidis. I'm a big Max Richter/ambient fan so that stuff connected with me.

Also love the guitar work @Goredho. Real fun stuff and impressive playing.

Hopefully I'll have something to contribute soon. Going to get a 2BR at my next place so I can have a dedicated studio around September. Haven't recorded much since high school/my first two years at UT. Have ~300 voice memos I need to consolidate and convert into songs. Think I have a rough outline of a 10 song album. Will have plenty of recording questions for this thread.

thanks, man.  There are a few recomps of richter peppered through this thread and a few of my own original things that draw a lot of inspiration from his work.  appreciate the words.

i use logic and have always been happy with it.  but i have also used ableton and cubase and they are great as well.  daw's are like anything...people swear by their brand but all of them (including pro tools, fruit loops, etc...) are good.  the key is to really learn one of them so that you master it.  you can do 95% of the same stuff across all of them.  but, at the end of the day, there is nothing about logic that makes me wish i used something else.  i like it.  would love to hear some contributions. 

on monitors, i had some from audioengine that are kick ass that i love.  they aren't quested but they are really good.  the problem is, they are a bit too good.  i am constantly frustrated by how the super rich and deep sounds i achieve get compressed way down when i listen on more average speakers.  every time i bounce something i like, i have to do a car test and a soundbar test to see what i am losing.  i also have some hs8 monitors by yamaha.  these are the workhorse monitors of the home studio world.  they sound fantastic in my opinion and not as costly as some of the upper end stuff without giving up much in the way of quality.  scarlett is what i use (and everyone else in the world making music at home) for audio interface.

good luck with embarking on the journey and thanks for the kind words.  look forward to your contributions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blew my crappy $99 PreSonus Eris 3.5" studio monitors.  Have got some new 6.5" JBLs that should be arriving today.

xcexkvbhcvq1rdlmiyog.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2020 at 12:35 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Hey, I'm digging the stuff I'm hearing.  Not sure the range intended for the thread, but I do have a tune I wrote, played by my band with my daughter singing lead that I can share as soon as I finish the mix.  It's pretty alt-rock, though.  Not exactly "composition".

Speaking of her, she needs scoring software for her music theory class, like ASAP.  Thanks for the warning, daughter.  Pretty basic functionality would be fine.  What would be the preferred, cheap option?  "Free" is optimal.  Thanks.

 

I use noteflight.com for pretty much everything notation. It's free (with some limitations as far as printing individual parts and how many scores you can have). The paid version is like $30/year or so. I think there are education rates. She probably won't need the paid version. There's no software to download; it just runs in your browser. It has a few problems with Safari, but I haven't run into any issues with Chrome or Firefox.

It's way more intuitive than Finale or Sibelius. You can pretty much figure it out by just mashing keys and seeing what happens. There are a few minor things (mostly to do with layout of a full score than is minimally noticeable) that it doesn't do well or can't do, but I haven't run into anything major. They're pretty responsive to issues as well.

To give you an idea of what I can't get it to do: when writing for a full ensemble, usually the left-hand side of the score has various bracketing connecting sections, so the ww/brass/percussion/strings are visually organized on the side of the score (for an example, check out the left-hand side of http://ks4.imslp.net/files/imglnks/usimg/d/dd/IMSLP17070-Mahler-Symph1fs.pdf). You probably wouldn't notice it unless you're looking at a lot of scores, but it's easier on the eyes with all the bracketing than without. You can have section breaks in the bar lines, so it's a little easier on the eyes, but I can't get noteflight to do what the linked score does. In all, that's not really a big deal.

Edited by Mole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Mole, thanks for the rec -- she actually ended up using noteflight, but we paid for the subscription so she could do the full score.

She struggled with some issues in saving individual parts out but did fine as far as getting her grade.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2020 at 9:30 PM, sidis said:

good god man, put it up.  there are zero limitations on this thread.

Here you go.  Recorded and mixed in my spare bedroom using Reaper (the aforementioned DAW software) through a Focusrite interface.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Here you go.  Recorded and mixed in my spare bedroom using Reaper (the aforementioned DAW software) through a Focusrite interface.

 

 

That is really good!  Catchy AF.  It would slide right in on my 90s playlist alongside Tripping Daisy, Butthole Surfers, Everclear, Placebo, etc...  The mix is great on my car speakers.  The vocals, harmony and instruments all have their own space and aren’t intruding on each other, which is something I still struggle with at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goredho said:

That is really good!  Catchy AF.  It would slide right in on my 90s playlist alongside Tripping Daisy, Butthole Surfers, Everclear, Placebo, etc...  The mix is great on my car speakers.  The vocals, harmony and instruments all have their own space and aren’t intruding on each other, which is something I still struggle with at times.

Thanks, Goredho.  I appreciate it.  When I first started writing it around that main chord progression, I felt like it had a bit of a Nirvana feel, but as things progressed it just sorta diverged into a different vibe, particularly with the keyboards and my daughter's vocals.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Here you go.  Recorded and mixed in my spare bedroom using Reaper (the aforementioned DAW software) through a Focusrite interface.

 

 

this is badass!  nice job, sounds really good.  really like the vox layers in the verses.  reminds me a lot of the sound of the "Version 2.0" album from Garbage circa 98.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sidis said:

this is badass!  nice job, sounds really good.  really like the vox layers in the verses.  reminds me a lot of the sound of the "Version 2.0" album from Garbage circa 98.

Heh.  Touchy subject there.  I've been in various bands with the other guitarist in this clip for 30 years or so.  In 1993, we had a band here in Austin that was starting to gain some national traction based on circulation of a demo we had recorded.  Butch Vig called us up and left an answering machine message for us to call him -- we did, thinking "this is it".  Turns out he wanted our singer, who is a staggeringly talented yet full-on diva, to come audition for his new band.  She did, got the gig, that band became Garbage, and she was subsequently fired a few months later when they saw Shirley Manson on MTV-Europe.  We told said singer to pound sand when she came crawling back.  In hindsight, that might have been a mistake, but we were really pissed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Heh.  Touchy subject there.  I've been in various bands with the other guitarist in this clip for 30 years or so.  In 1993, we had a band here in Austin that was starting to gain some national traction based on circulation of a demo we had recorded.  Butch Vig called us up and left an answering machine message for us to call him -- we did, thinking "this is it".  Turns out he wanted our singer, who is a staggeringly talented yet full-on diva, to come audition for his new band.  She did, got the gig, that band became Garbage, and she was subsequently fired a few months later when they saw Shirley Manson on MTV-Europe.  We told said singer to pound sand when she came crawling back.  In hindsight, that might have been a mistake, but we were really pissed.

Great story.  Now I’m like:

434-ACD08-D2-EB-4-AD3-92-AC-B7-B4-DCC6-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure why i'm bothering with this but on the off-chance there is maybe one person on here that likes suuuuper ambient music, i have a friend that is leading a yoga retreat in monterrey in which these 150 people or so can't talk to each other for seven days or something.  no idea if they worship crystals or some other nonsense but she asked me to do a score for the week and this is a 15 minute intro song.  if any of you are struggling to fall asleep or want a soundtrack to staring a trees swaying for 15 straight minutes, this is for you...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like just the music for what you described.  I personally dig that shit sometimes.  I have a playlist full of Brian Eno and Aphex Twin that I put on when I take a late night solo hot tub.  This would fit right in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Goredho said:

I have a playlist full of Brian Eno and Aphex Twin that I put on when I take a late night solo hot tub.  This would fit right in.

i often do that as well...

DecentNervousAmericanbobtail-size_restri

in all seriousness, i am not sure the world of ambient composers will ever be able to touch the perfection that is "An Ending (Ascent)" by eno.  one can make beautiful music but that was a rare moment of musical perfection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I dug that.  I don't listen to ambient music -- at all -- but when I hear it I am often transfixed.  For one thing, it usually has such a low level of background noise that it's almost eerie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sidis said:

i often do that as well...

DecentNervousAmericanbobtail-size_restri

in all seriousness, i am not sure the world of ambient composers will ever be able to touch the perfection that is "An Ending (Ascent)" by eno.  one can make beautiful music but that was a rare moment of musical perfection.

Heh, that’s literally what I do, except it’s a THC edible and there is usually a beer involved.

I agree 100% about “An Ending (Ascent)”.  It’s the bar for that type of music and nothing gets very close, really.  I read an article about how it was produced, and it sounds like it was surprisingly complex and difficult.  Involved things like cutting the tape, reversing and splicing and shit like that.  But it was the early 80s before digital, so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everybody for sharing their work on this thread.  I've been meaning to add something here,  and it's getting hard to find areas of this board that I enjoy visiting.

 

Since this thread has wandered into more ambient territory, I'll share something I was working on last week.  It's a vocal ensemble I put together as a backing texture in "collage-y" kinda piece I'm doing with a friend involving an acoustic tracked on a cassette and some voice samples.  I rendered this track just to a/b the configuration of the parts and just kept listening to it on its own because it's really calming. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The last music I was able to finish and "release" with my old band was actually a mixtape of ambient soundscapes that we created over two weekends while we were attempting to record some spacey folk songs.  I come back to it sometimes because it still sounds really unique to me since maybe 90% of the sounds were made with guitars which is rare with ambient music and how effortless it is to make pads and soundscapes electronically.  

https://baytadarell.bandcamp.com/track/red-bird

https://baytadarell.bandcamp.com/track/green-song

Edited by Chips O'Toole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Thanks everybody for sharing their work on this thread.  I've been meaning to add something here,  and it's getting hard to find areas of this board that I enjoy visiting.

 

Since this thread has wandered into more ambient territory, I'll share something I was working on last week.  It's a vocal ensemble I put together as a backing texture in "collage-y" kinda piece I'm doing with a friend involving an acoustic tracked on a cassette and some voice samples.  I rendered this track just to a/b the configuration of the parts and just kept listening to it on its own because it's really calming. 

 

Cool, can't listen now, but will soon.  I am glad to see this thread getting traction outside of Sidis and I :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

The last music I was able to finish and "release" with my old band was actually a mixtape of ambient soundscapes that we created over two weekends while we were attempting to record some spacey folk songs.  I come back to it sometimes because it still sounds really unique to me since maybe 90% of the sounds were made with guitars which is rare with ambient music and how effortless it is to make pads and soundscapes electronically.  

https://baytadarell.bandcamp.com/track/red-bird

https://baytadarell.bandcamp.com/track/green-song

Very cool, Chips. I really like the second half of “green song.” It really reminds me of some of the more experimental, early stuff that sigur ros (one of my favorite bands) put out. Nice work. Thanks for posting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is fascinating.  I have NEVER been an "ambient" music fan.  I never hated it, but it was just one of those genres that sort of ran parallel to my own tastes.  Parallel lines never converge.

That said, listening to a few tracks you guys have posted show me that there is a place for it in my life.  I'll admit, I'm a little extra tweaked by our current state(s) of affairs, but regardless, just playing your tracks and chilling for 10-20 minutes have had a noticeably positive effect on me.  I appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is fascinating.  I have NEVER been an "ambient" music fan.  I never hated it, but it was just one of those genres that sort of ran parallel to my own tastes.  Parallel lines never converge.

That said, listening to a few tracks you guys have posted show me that there is a place for it in my life.  I'll admit, I'm a little extra tweaked by our current state(s) of affairs, but regardless, just playing your tracks and chilling for 10-20 minutes have had a noticeably positive effect on me.  I appreciate it.

That's the purpose of ambient music to me personally.  Eat a THC edible, crack a beer, put on the ambient music, close my eyes and transcend life's petty and mundane bullshit for awhile.

I got a chance to listen to your songs, @Chips O'Toole.  Great job, I really like them both.  Are they available on Spotify?  I will put them on my "Seriously Chill" playlist, which could use some more content.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3M8KtJCLlRYSlFalLoqDXf?si=ydNHyaQVQD2q9AHGtUKGRQ
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not on Spotify, @Goredho, I lost interest in music for over a decade and failed to follow through on a lot of stuff like that. Our first album is on there, Write me in metal/ Make me forever, but it is more of a space/dream rock album. Still pretty chill though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An all acoustic track inspired from the view from my deck.  Have had this one in my pocket for awhile, but just picked up a pickup to toss into my acoustic guitar to allow me to record it.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 6/1/2020 at 8:28 AM, Goredho said:

An all acoustic track inspired from the view from my deck.  Have had this one in my pocket for awhile, but just picked up a pickup to toss into my acoustic guitar to allow me to record it.
 

 

finally got a chance to give this is a listen.  good chill.  really like the looped theme that starts at 2:42 that acts as a foundation for the solo-style playing on top for the rest of the track.  nice job as always...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

some chillish-hip hop.

 

 

Edited by sidis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 1:52 PM, sidis said:

 

finally got a chance to give this is a listen.  good chill.  really like the looped theme that starts at 2:42 that acts as a foundation for the solo-style playing on top for the rest of the track.  nice job as always...

Thanks, appreciate it.  I’ll have to check our the new hip hop track tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 3:29 PM, sidis said:

some chillish-hip hop.

 

 

Work and family demands are really sucking away my time these days, so I just got to listen to your trance hop here.  I am not a huge fan of the genre, but this was good and more appealing and interesting to me than most examples I’ve heard.  How’d you program the beat in logic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...