LSU @ Texas Analysis: LSU Offense

sushihorn

58 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

Dahobbs: "Your o-line couldn't beat Georgia Southern"

Me: Yes, we did. Dominated them while giving up zero sacks. 

Dahobbs: "But its Georgia Southern" 

Me: ? 

You consider 3.7 ypc against Georgia Southern as “dominating” by your OL?

I guess that actually explains why so many dumbass LSU posters have invaded this board and claiming they’ll dominate UT on Saturday.

1 hour ago, DayHeGeaux said:

Dahobbs: "Your o-line couldn't beat Georgia Southern"

Me: Yes, we did. Dominated them while giving up zero sacks. 

Dahobbs: "But its Georgia Southern" 

Me: ? 

Your team dominated, not your o-line. That is the distinction you fail to understand. You brought up stats to suggest your o-line did well in pass protection. I pointed out (correctly) that it is difficult to tell that from the stats due to the offensive game plan you employed (quick short passes). I also brought up more facts (in addition to the previous video evidence) that indicated your o-line struggled run blocking. 7 tackles for a loss (almost all in the run game) + less than 4 yards per carry is struggling and very far from dominating. Whether this was a one game aberration or the start of trend is what we will find out. But, regardless, it should be area of concern for LSU, just like corner play (particularly tackling) should be a concern for Texas. 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 minute ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

They absolutely dominated UGA by 20 points last year with a worse line. 

They're used to it. 

But “new scheme.” You can’t have it both ways. Is the offense new, exciting, and threatening, in which case they didn’t run it against UGA or anyone else last year or is it the same ol’, same ol’?

I think Orlando takes advantage of the situation and forces LSU into a handful of really bad plays that are the difference between a couple of pretty good teams. 

4 minutes ago, Deguello said:

But “new scheme.” You can’t have it both ways. Is the offense new, exciting, and threatening, in which case they didn’t run it against UGA or anyone else last year or is it the same ol’, same ol’?

I think Orlando takes advantage of the situation and forces LSU into a handful of really bad plays that are the difference between a couple of pretty good teams. 

That's actually a really good point. I didnt account for this new scheme hasn't seen a defense anywhere close to Texas to tell if the o line will suffice yet. Excellent point actually.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

That's actually a really good point. I didnt account for this new scheme hasn't seen a defense anywhere close to Texas to tell if the o line will suffice yet. Excellent point actually.

As someone who’s watched guys in burnt orange run new systems for which they weren’t recruited and in which they didn’t have much experience, I can tell you that it can be pretty brutal even if, in a vacuum, the players are talented and motivated. 

Running a new offensive system against a DC and players who are very familiar with the concepts, on the road, in a less than friendly venue, for the first time against P5 talent isn’t a gimme. And that’s why I think this matchup is what determines the game. Well, I hope it does. 

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Your team dominated, not your o-line. That is the distinction you fail to understand. You brought up stats to suggest your o-line did well in pass protection. I pointed out (correctly) that it is difficult to tell that from the stats due to the offensive game plan you employed (quick short passes). I also brought up more facts (in addition to the previous video evidence) that indicated your o-line struggled run blocking. 7 tackles for a loss (almost all in the run game) + less than 4 yards per carry is struggling and very far from dominating. Whether this was a one game aberration or the start of trend is what we will find out. But, regardless, it should be area of concern for LSU, just like corner play (particularly tackling) should be a concern for Texas. 

The o-line is apart of the team. You can't score 55 points w/ no defensive TDs if your OL is isn't dominant. If it's too difficult to tell why did you bring it up to begin with? 

Just now, DayHeGeaux said:

The o-line is apart of the team. You can't score 55 points w/ no defensive TDs if your OL is isn't dominant. If it's too difficult to tell why did you bring it up to begin with? 

Start with this: Do you consider 3.7 YPC against Georgia Southern to be dominating?

4 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

Like I said before,  I consider 55 - 3 dominating. 

Let me put it another way. Beating a scrub team by what looks impressive on the scoreboard without being able to impose your will in the run game will eventually lead to your getting exposed against good teams. Ask around here and see if anyone disagrees. 

1 minute ago, Deguello said:

Let me put it another way. Beating a scrub team by what looks impressive on the scoreboard without being able to impose your will in the run game will eventually lead to your getting exposed against good teams. Ask around here and see if anyone disagrees. 

If you consider them a scrub team, why did you bring them up to begin with? LSU did what we they were suppose to do. 

1 hour ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

But yeah the Oline is a weaker part of the team. That's how it was last year too but they should be a bit better than last year. And combined with the new offense LSU should be able to score more often which was the main weakness last year the offense fizzling out and getting the defense wore down. They were able to score last year with a worse line minus Bama. And I respect Texas defense. But it's no Alabama. 

Ahh, last year your 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense wore out your defense   Well, you're in luck with your new spread, hurry-up offense!  

I'm not the one trying building a case off of 1 data point. If GA Southern is your only data point and you think their a scrub team, why are you still talking?

Because LSU was unable to impose their will in the run game against an inferior opponent, relying on superior skill position players for the win. And that’s a formula that only works well against inferior opponents. LSU won’t be facing one of those on Saturday. 

You are that dense. Noted. 

11 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

If you consider them a scrub team, why did you bring them up to begin with? LSU did what we they were suppose to do. 

But the OL, specifically, did not, which is one of many things you seem unable to comprehend. 

Plus, while y’all didn’t give up any sacks, you still had some gaffes in pass pro, but like others pointed out, the quick, short throws downgraded the gaffes from sacks given up to pressures. If the short stuff ain’t there on Saturday as consistently, LSU’s OL could be in some trouble.

Edited by Burt Macklin

21 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

Because, dumb ass, it isn't very good evidence that your o-line "dominated" in pass protection. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. That lack of sacks alone isn't going to tell you anything when you have a game plan to get the ball out quickly. However, we have several stats (and video evidence) that indicates your o-line struggled run blocking, e.g., under 4 yards per carry and 7 tackles for a loss. It may be because of first game jitters. It may because of lack of familiarity with the blocking scheme. Or it may be because your o-line is really weak. Regardless of which it is, the run blocking struggles are something LSU should be concerned about.  

Any Texas fan that remembers the North Texas game from a decade ago knows that the scoreboard can be misleading. We dominated the game, but struggled run blocking. As it turns out, those struggles were a portend of things to come (bad o-line play).  

2 minutes ago, Deguello said:

Because LSU was unable to impose their will in the run game against an inferior opponent, relying on superior skill position players for the win. And that’s a formula that only works well against inferior opponents. LSU won’t be facing one of those on Saturday. 

You are that dense. Noted. 

So we can't throw on Texas? Tell me more about these elite CBs that no one has heard of?

Edited by DayHeGeaux
Edit
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Because, dumb ass, it isn't very good evidence that your o-line "dominated" in pass protection. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. That lack of sacks alone isn't going to tell you anything when you have a game plan to get the ball out quickly. However, we have several stats (and video evidence) that indicates your o-line struggled run blocking, e.g., under 4 yards per carry and 7 tackles for a loss. It may be because of first game jitters. It may because of lack of familiarity with the blocking scheme. Or it may be because your o-line is really weak. Regardless of which it is, the run blocking struggles are something LSU should be concerned about.  

Any Texas fan that remembers the North Texas game from a decade ago knows that the scoreboard can be misleading. We dominated the game, but struggled run blocking. As it turns out, those struggles were a portend of things to come (bad o-line play).  

LOL. So now it's "may it did, maybe it didn't". Well, which one is it?

5 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

So we can't throw on Texas? Tell me more about these elite CBs that no one has heard of?

If the defense has to pay less attention to the run and it can be stopped without walking up the safeties, for example, it will be much harder to pass. 

You understand the concept of a one-dimensional offense, don’t you?

LOL. So now it's "may it did, maybe it didn't". Well, which one is it?

I don't know, I'm not making an argument based on pass protection. I'm saying LSU struggled in run blocking. Maybe y'all are good in pass protection and bad at run blocking. Or maybe the quick passes hid weaknesses in pass protection and you're bad at both. And maybe y'all will workout your issues in run blocking prior to playing Texas. But, it should still be a concerning data point for LSU fans, just like tackling by corners should be a concern for Texas. We didn't look good at it last week. I'm hopeful that part of that was first game jitters, part of it was having to sit our better corner in the first half, and part of it was a result of a defensive scheme that intentionally surrendered quick passes to the boundaries. But, it is still something I'm concerned about and will be watching closely on Saturday. 

I'm not sure why you are unable to get past the simple binary choice of "LSU good" or "LSU bad". I assume it is because you are a complete moron and unable to comprehend nuance. 

3 minutes ago, Deguello said:

If the defense has to pay less attention to the run and it can be stopped without walking up the safeties, for example, it will be much harder to pass. 

You understand the concept of a one-dimensional offense, don’t you?

Texas' base is a 3-3-5. If you think you can stop LSU with only 6-7 people in the box, I don't know what to tell you. 

Texas' base is a 3-3-5. If you think you can stop LSU with only 6-7 people in the box, I don't know what to tell you. 

Well, hell, man, that just brings us right back to the fact that LSU couldn’t run on Georgia Southern, so what leads you to believe Texas can’t stop the LSU run game with 6 or 7?

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Uh... they were freshman last year sitting behind more senior corners. This is their first season of being potential starters. In what way have they been MIA?  

Let's be honest about this, Texas CBs are an issue. Herman has said it, Orlando has said it. This really isn't up for discussion. Jalen did OK against LA Tech. Kobe Boyce................

Isn't there still a battle going on?

Theres been so much said that I cant quote one to reply to. But to the person who was talking about the new hurry up offense vs the 3 and out after running it up the middle two times then a failed pass attempt. The new offense so far looks better at very least at getting first downs which is important to keep the defense from wearing down too fast.

Also for the talk of the RBs and only 3.7 ypc. They were splitting time between 5 RBs on purpose. They wanted all of them to get touches and GA southern was the safe game to do it. But it didnt allow any of them to get going. 

Against Texas It will more than likely be Edwards-Helaire and Emery getting the load of the work. Doesnt mean the running game will magically be fixed but it can improve drastically.

But Texas will let us know what LSU has on offense regardless. Saying LSU struggles or dominates at something from either fanbase on offense is unproven regardless at this point. 

57 minutes ago, Deguello said:

Don't you make me think of Jerrod Heard's 527 yard game against Cal, setting the all time offense record at Texas, in a season that ended up 5-7.

35 minutes ago, ShadyTiger4TX said:

Theres been so much said that I cant quote one to reply to. But to the person who was talking about the new hurry up offense vs the 3 and out after running it up the middle two times then a failed pass attempt. The new offense so far looks better at very least at getting first downs which is important to keep the defense from wearing down too fast.

Also for the talk of the RBs and only 3.7 ypc. They were splitting time between 5 RBs on purpose. They wanted all of them to get touches and GA southern was the safe game to do it. But it didnt allow any of them to get going. 

Against Texas It will more than likely be Edwards-Helaire and Emery getting the load of the work. Doesnt mean the running game will magically be fixed but it can improve drastically.

But Texas will let us know what LSU has on offense regardless. Saying LSU struggles or dominates at something from either fanbase on offense is unproven regardless at this point. 

Emery averaged 3.3 yards per carry on 6 carries. None of your running backs were particularly effective, not because of lack of talent, but because your line was getting beat. Your best was Clyde, and excluding 1 15 yard carry, he was averaging 3.8 yards per carry, consistent with your team as a whole. 

Whether your offense will struggle against Texas (or the rest of the season) is obviously unproven. But, there is evidence that your run game isn't going to be a strength. If I were making predictions, I'd say it will probably be a weakness all season.  

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

They had O-Line problems last year.  Running game was only 4.0 YPC.  Gave up 35 sacks and 89 TFLs.  Sacks should be lower if they can get the ball out on time in the quick game. But they are on pace for 91 TFLs and the competition gets a lot better after game 1.  The same issues are there for LSU's offensive line but they are manifesting differently. 

3 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Sacks should be lower if they can get the ball out on time in the quick game.

By percentages, maybe, but because of a) tempo, and b) increased emphasis on pass in the run/pass ratio... there's actually a pretty good chance that even if they improve, they'll still give up more sacks than they did previously.

1 hour ago, DayHeGeaux said:

Georgia Southern stuffed LSU's ground attack with 5-6 in the box vs 11 and 10 personnel.  Orgeron is playing into Orlando's hands by going 3 and 4 wide.  Texas will likely use 3-2-6 dime as the base defense.  That puts one more safety on the field - which is the strongest and deepest position group on the defense.  Maybe just as important, it gets a question mark at LB OFF the field.  With Ossai and McCullough playing the 2nd level I'm very comfortable  with that group.

2 hours ago, DayHeGeaux said:

I consider 55 - 3 dominating. 

I just want to be clear here: my best hope was that LSU would struggle to install a new offense. Maybe they might be tempted to revert back. I mean what we needed LSU to do was come out running that lame shit Georgia tried to run. Old school LSU, now I would feel pretty confident we could stop that. I know it was Georgia Southern but them running that kind of offense, and potentially doing it well...well that gives me pause. Hopefully their inexperience still ends up being a problem against us.

I have confidence in Tom Herman and Ehlinger and our guys though. This is the type of game they overachieve in. I think it will be close and maybe things will bounce our way.

And if they don't...well the season goes on. Let's get them next week.

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

Georgia Southern stuffed LSU's ground attack with 5-6 in the box vs 11 and 10 personnel.  Orgeron is playing into Orlando's hands by going 3 and 4 wide.  Texas will likely use 3-2-6 dime as the base defense.  That puts one more safety on the field - which is the strongest and deepest position group on the defense.  Maybe just as important, it gets a question mark at LB OFF the field.  With Ossai and McCullough playing the 2nd level I'm very comfortable  with that group.

Do you really want a Tackle getting matched up on a Safety. In our 11 personnel we can line up in a traditional pro-style with Tory Carter going from TE to FB for smash mouth football or we can spread it out as you saw against GA Southern. I believe you saw very little vs GA Southern.