LSU @ Texas Analysis: LSU Offense

sushihorn

5 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

1) LSU offensive line held up.

2) Joe Burrow is a good qb

3) Those LSU receivers are good

4) Their defense sucks ass almost as much as ours

I really hate to say it, but that final throw by Burrow for the TD was the best play by either QB that game. The kid can fucking play and a ton of people here (including me) under-estimated him.

Edited by satyanash

On 7/27/2019 at 12:39 AM, sushihorn said:

Receivers

Burrow will have some athletic WRs to throw to; Jefferson at the X position is a tough match up but again like Georgia they don’t have anything equal to what Texas sees weekly in the Big XII at wideout.  That is especially true in terms of reliability and diagnosing the defense.

The receiver corps looks impressive on paper but they are much better athletes than they are pass catchers.  They have more size than Georgia (6’6”, 6’4”, 6’2”, 6’1 and 5’ll” coming back in 2019) but less speed and quickness though still quite good for their size.  They also aren’t great route runners and had a lot of drops last season.  Soph year John Burt is a pretty good comp for much of LSU’s WR unit.  Expect some spectacular catches combined with even more drops and poorly run routes.

Line

The O-Line is enormous but a bit heavy footed.  Projected starters based on the spring game are #68 Charles at LT (305 lbs), #72 Magee LG (335), #79 Cushenberry C (309), #68 Lewis RG (322) and #76 Deculus RT (321).  Charles is solid but Deculus looks particularly vulnerable.  He’s an OG playing out of position and he got burned regularly by speed rushers.  That is really a bad situation against defenses that like to bring pressure from the outside.  He’s going to be lined up against Ossai quite a bit and things could get ugly unless LSU keeps a TE in to help Deculus pass protect.  The Guards are slow but powerful.  They remind me a lot of Vahe – better run blockers than pass protectors but sometimes give up penetration into the backfield.  Watch some games and you’ll see that there is definitely more than a little bit of Fatball™ being played in Baton Rouge.

The O-Line can make crushing run blocks at times but they also give up an inordinate number of negative plays to opposing defenses.  They gave up 35 sacks in 2018, which is big considering the low number of pass attempts.  The sack ratio of almost 9.0% is appallingly high and one will usually terminate a drive.  They also gave up a total of 89 TFLs.  That was a problem for an offense that relies on running the ball and a negative play is usually a drive killer.  The 54 non-sack TFLs represent a loss on almost 10% of LSU’s rush attempts.  There is a good reason their offense is not very efficient.

Coaching and Summary

The offensive play calling tends to stick stubbornly with the run even when it’s not appropriate.  LSU will often continue to run into stacked fronts and this can be seen in their bowl game.  They faced one of the worst rushing defenses in the country - #117 UCF.  The Knights loaded the box and played man-free coverage behind it.  That meant 1 more defender than the offense could block.  The result was pretty predictable – 3.1 YPC for LSU and they ran the ball 52 times into a brick wall.  When Burrow threw the ball he did pretty well since the coverage was predictable and he could wait for receivers to come open because the defense was prioritizing stopping the run over pass rushing.  Once the LSU coaches saw this happening they should have thrown the ball until UCF backed out and pulled a player out of the box and into coverage.

Orlando has always schemed well against conventional teams that like to run the ball and he’s great at scheming extra players into the box.  How will LSU respond when they line up in 11 personnel and see a 3-2 front with and NB overhang defender inside shade over the slot and a box safety 7 yds off the ball?  Do they treat that as 5 box defenders or 7?  USC couldn’t solve it and neither could Georgia.  One additional factor is that LSU returns a lot from last year’s quality squad.  But I do not expect LSU’s offense to be a big problem unless Texas turns the ball over or gives up big plays in the kicking game.  If that happens enough times they can play with a lead and grind the defense down eventually.  If not I’ve got them down for 13-17 points.

@bigcigar @Walden Ponderer@Deguello @Spider2YBanana @utee94 @Burt Macklin @HtownHorn @GoldAppleCorps @Magus Ossis @Hiphopopotamos @Tex Long @Tex Pete @Zavala @Deej @Pig Bellmont @BigBenBamboozle @Valmy77 @Katfid54 @Dahobbs @Huckleberry @totallynotabuttpirate @Nivek @JBJ @immamac

So about tonight....... Y'all was talking all that shit before the game, and our SEC offense rolled your BIG12 defense with the pass. Where's all that pre-game energy? 

@sushihorn pre-game:
image.png

@sushihorn post-game:
image.png

Texas fan pre-game: 
tenor.gif?itemid=12972106

Texas fans at halftime: 
texassadness.0.gif

Texas fans post-game:
ShadowyCoolGrayfox-size_restricted.gif

Me logging back into to SurlyHorns after the game:
200.gif

Next time I drop knowledge on SurlyHorns: 
giphy.gif

We beat y'all averaging 3.5 yards/carry:
giphy.gif

Now wipe me down and hit that Hate button. Cook'em

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 9

Just now, DayHeGeaux said:

So about tonight....... Y'all was talking all that shit before the game, and our SEC offense rolled your BIG12 defense with the pass. Where's all that pre-game energy? 

Why you talking to me? I said that if you guys can execute that offense like OU or OSU you will put up yards on us. You did and you did. What that talking shit? Oversensitive much?

And what is this shit about energy? We are all here bitching and moaning with great energy.

1 minute ago, DayHeGeaux said:

@bigcigar @Walden Ponderer@Deguello @Spider2YBanana @utee94 @Burt Macklin @HtownHorn @GoldAppleCorps @Magus Ossis @Hiphopopotamos @Tex Long @Tex Pete @Zavala @Deej @Pig Bellmont @BigBenBamboozle @Valmy77 @Katfid54 @Dahobbs @Huckleberry @totallynotabuttpirate @Nivek @JBJ @immamac

@sushihorn pre-game:
image.png

@sushihorn post-game:
image.png

Texas fan pre-game: 

Texas fans at halftime: 
texassadness.0.gif

Texas fans post-game:

200.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This a bitch post for real. 99% of the LSU fans are complimenting on a great game and you roll in here like the dingleberry you are. Go douche your mom with bleach. 

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Why you talking to me? I said that if you guys can execute that offense like OU or OSU you will put up yards on us. You did and you did. What that talking shit? Oversensitive much?

And what is this shit about energy? We are all here bitching and moaning with great energy.

Apologies. Friendly fire. You were pretty objective. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

7 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

This a bitch post for real. 99% of the LSU fans are complimenting on a great game and you roll in here like the dingleberry you are. Go douche your mom with bleach. 

Weird.  I put out actual analysis.  There were LSU fans mostly just shit talking here.  They'll get downvoted and like it.

Edited by sushihorn

1 minute ago, DayHeGeaux said:

Nah, you put out bullshit and call it an analysis. So what happened to your analysis tonight?

I said Texas should be slightly favored at home.  The early drop on 4th down was the difference in the game.  Got some details wrong but got a lot right.  You didn't have the guts to post any real analysis thus no risk for you.  Just here to criticize other people's work.  I get people like you; you obviously don't understand people like me.

10 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Y'all was talking crazy all week. Never said it wasn't a great game, the people I pointed out were talking shit this whole week about our offense.

• Fuck You 6

Just now, sushihorn said:

I said Texas should be slightly favored at home.  The early drop on 4th down was the difference in the game.  Got some details wrong but got a lot right.  You didn't have the guts to post any real analysis thus no risk for you.  Just here to criticize other people's work.  I get people like you; you obviously don't understand people like me.

We're not talking about the outcome. We're talking about LSU moving the ball through the air without being able to run the ball. You specifically said we wouldn't be able to be beat you if we couldn't run the ball. 

I don't post statistics or present an analysis because I lack sufficient data; there's not a big enough sample size. Something you're have a hard time understanding. But I get it. 

• Fuck You 6

23 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

@sushihorn pre-game:
image.png

@sushihorn post-game:
image.png

Texas fan pre-game: 

Texas fans at halftime: 
texassadness.0.gif

Texas fans post-game:

200.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

And we rolled that SEC defense. What's your point? Other than age, we were a few dumbass plays away from beating y'all. We also gave props to lsu 

4 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

We're not talking about the outcome. We're talking about LSU moving the ball through the air without being able to run the ball. You specifically said we wouldn't be able to be beat you if we couldn't run the ball.

If I'd actually said that you'd be able to quote it very easily.  And don't forget to include the whole quote.

Edited by sushihorn

32 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

@sushihorn pre-game:
image.png

@sushihorn post-game:
image.png

Texas fan pre-game: 

Texas fans at halftime: 
texassadness.0.gif

Texas fans post-game:

200.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Fuck yourself, piece of shit. I hope your whole family gets mown down by a semi on your way home. 

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

I really hate to say it, but that final throw by Burrow for the TD was the best play by either QB that game. The kid can fucking play and a ton of people here (including me) under-estimated him.

Yup, he was the best QB on the field today by a healthy margin.  Good for LSU, sucks for us.

1 hour ago, DayHeGeaux said:

@sushihorn pre-game:
image.png

@sushihorn post-game:
image.png

Texas fan pre-game: 

Texas fans at halftime: 
texassadness.0.gif

Texas fans post-game:

200.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Well at least nobody can say you don't know how to hold a grudge... anyway congrats on the win.  LSU whipped the shit out of our sad sack defense.  I am now terrified of what an actual good offense like OU could do to this Texas team.

Anyway, best of luck the rest of the season.

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

Well at least nobody can say you don't know how to hold a grudge... anyway congrats on the win.  LSU whipped the shit out of our sad sack defense.  I am now terrified of what an actual good offense like OU could do to this Texas team.

Anyway, go fuck yourself bitch.

fify

18 hours ago, DayHeGeaux said:

@sushihorn pre-game:
image.png

@sushihorn post-game:
image.png

Texas fan pre-game: 

Texas fans at halftime: 
texassadness.0.gif

Texas fans post-game:

200.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

My mea culpa is 2 posts above yours dipshit. I didn’t go anywhere.

Burrow was going to have to ace the master class in playing spread to win.

He did.

Texas and LSU played one heck of a rough game in the non-con. We need more schools willing to schedule these matchups. Here's the ugly part. If both schools keep playing like this, we're either going to play each other again, or the selection committee is going to have to really screw someone over.

Really awesome game Saturday.  I had a chance to watch it again yesterday.  This is the what has become a rarity in  college football....epic programs playing in a home and home early in the season.  It was a very competitive game with some incredible individual efforts.  Turns out, the LSU offense was what they appeared to be.  I'm still concerned about push in short yardage with the running game, but very excited about the timing and execution of the passing game.  

The tone of the game changed with the long 19 play drive that Texas put together.  It was a gut check and showed Texas' ability to respond to adversity.  Tip of the cap to Texas for finding ways to respond every time it seemed like LSU was going to pull away.  Just a very fun game to watch...especially when as fans we are so thirsty for good football.  

Good luck the rest of the season.