538 Article on Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalties

Liquor and Poker

Mildly interesting article on how there's been an uptick in unsportsmanlike conduct flags in college and that it's having an effect on the games.  But what I found interesting is the need to bring up Texas-Miami in the last paragraph (the OU game reference was at least on point).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/unsportsmanlike-penalties-are-still-college-footballs-calling-card/

Texas-Miami Cotton Bowl ... could be characterized as the first misspoken “We’re back” game. Two teams came in asserting their claim as the National Champion. Only one showed up.  An embarrassment right down there with the UCLA Rout 66 debacle. 

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Mildly interesting article on how there's been an uptick in unsportsmanlike conduct flags in college and that it's having an effect on the games.  But what I found interesting is the need to bring up Texas-Miami in the last paragraph (the OU game reference was at least on point).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/unsportsmanlike-penalties-are-still-college-footballs-calling-card/

EDUCATION 

University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE
Bachelor of Journalism, May 2014
Major: Advertising and Public Relations; Minors: English, Communication Studies
Activities and Service

• President, UNL Speech Team

• Multiple event champion at Big 10 Public Speaking Tournament, 2012-14

• National Finalist at American Forensics Association National Tournament, 2012-14

• UNL Top Public Speaker: 2013, 2014

18 hours ago, Bullneck said:

EDUCATION 

University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE
Bachelor of Journalism, May 2014
Major: Advertising and Public Relations; Minors: English, Communication Studies
Activities and Service

• President, UNL Speech Team

• Multiple event champion at Big 10 Public Speaking Tournament, 2012-14

• National Finalist at American Forensics Association National Tournament, 2012-14

• UNL Top Public Speaker: 2013, 2014

Forensics is all I need to hear.  My daughter was into that for a while, even as president of her university club.  We attended more of her HS (where it's called oral interpretation)and college competitions than any other parents, and holy shit, what a depressing bunch, even in the humor categories. I have a sister who for years judged the state finals (HS) in her state, and she had to admit that that is largely true.

Forensics is all I need to hear.  My daughter was into that for a while, even as president of her university club.  We attended more of her HS (where it's called oral interpretation)and college competitions than any other parents, and holy shit, what a depressing bunch, even in the humor categories. I have a sister who for years judged the state finals (HS) in her state, and she had to admit that that is largely true.

What the fuck is this post?

21 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Texas-Miami Cotton Bowl ... could be characterized as the first misspoken “We’re back” game. Two teams came in asserting their claim as the National Champion. Only one showed up.  An embarrassment right down there with the UCLA Rout 66 debacle. 

Route 66 hurt but it was early in the year and we had been bad for a long time. Since 84 really with just a couple of decent seasons by the time the game was played. So that game felt more like back to normal, "oh no we suck again!". The Miami loss at the end of the "Whatever it Takes" season hurt way more. We were just a few years removed from a punt being caught for a National Championship. We had our homegrown coach and it seemed like the Fred close calls were about to be put away. Leon Fuller had an awesome defense and we were back to being Texas.

Then we get to the Cotton Bowl and see that Miami talent start to warm up. Then the opening kick-off happens and Miami sets the tone with the first hit. Then the game happens. We had whisky bottles hidden in our jackets. We were going to crack them open after the first TD. Bottles were still unopened when we left. An ambulance drove by as we left the stadium. A friend of mine commented that "It is Peter Gardere. He has Russell Maryland stuck to his chest and needs him surgically removed.".

I threw away all the "Whatever it Takes" t-shirts and sweat shirts I purchased that year, including the Cotton Bowl pregame sweat shirt. That is how embarrassing that Miami loss was and that is how great until then the season had been. When ever I read whatever it takes here on the forum I still have flash backs. That phrase is not good when associated with a Texas team.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I hate to say it, but it might take a Rout 66 like game to insure Tom Mensa is gone if he continues to insist with  my shit doesn't stink attitude.  It would be painful to watch, but often you have to endure pain to get to a cure.  

8 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I hate to say it, but it might take a Rout 66 like game to insure Tom Mensa is gone if he continues to insist with  my shit doesn't stink attitude.  It would be painful to watch, but often you have to endure pain to get to a cure.  

Herman is gone after next season. He's just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic, if he even makes changes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Route 66 hurt but it was early in the year and we had been bad for a long time. Since 84 really with just a couple of decent seasons by the time the game was played. So that game felt more like back to normal, "oh no we suck again!". The Miami loss at the end of the "Whatever it Takes" season hurt way more. We were just a few years removed from a punt being caught for a National Championship. We had our homegrown coach and it seemed like the Fred close calls were about to be put away. Leon Fuller had an awesome defense and we were back to being Texas.

Then we get to the Cotton Bowl and see that Miami talent start to warm up. Then the opening kick-off happens and Miami sets the tone with the first hit. Then the game happens. We had whisky bottles hidden in our jackets. We were going to crack them open after the first TD. Bottles were still unopened when we left. An ambulance drove by as we left the stadium. A friend of mine commented that "It is Peter Gardere. He has Russell Maryland stuck to his chest and needs him surgically removed.".

I threw away all the "Whatever it Takes" t-shirts and sweat shirts I purchased that year, including the Cotton Bowl pregame sweat shirt. That is how embarrassing that Miami loss was and that is how great until then the season had been. When ever I read whatever it takes here on the forum I still have flash backs. That phrase is not good when associated with a Texas team.

im depressed now.  

4 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I watched the game in my bedroom in Hermosa Beach.  I was so jacked for that game . . . at halftime I could barely get out of my chair.  I heard McWilliams basically knew it would be a blow out even before the kickoff, which as you pointed out kinda sucked for one of our most dependable guys, Chris Samuels.  

11 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I watched the game in my bedroom in Hermosa Beach.  I was so jacked for that game . . . at halftime I could barely get out of my chair.  I heard McWilliams basically knew it would be a blow out even before the kickoff, which as you pointed out kinda sucked for one of our most dependable guys, Chris Samuels.  

I was at that game.  It sucked. It was so cold and so miserable.  But it’s also just randomly placed in that article, especially given that Texas is mentioned already in the first paragraph.  It’s not like there weren’t examples elsewhere for the first one.  He even says it.