Chelsea 2020-2021: Campeones de Europa

ztejas

Just watched the second half since Lampard couldn't give me anything worth watching in the first. Just more piss poor management. 

- Chilwell is a god damn revelation. Not easy to come into your first start with a new club at 23 and be the best player on the pitch. His ability to stretch the field and hold up confidently in the back third has been sorely needed on this squad.

- I'd probably rate CHO or Zouma 2nd. CHO has shown a lot of quality to start the season - more than I can recall seeing from him in the past - although he's struggled to get on the pitch at times. Zouma seemed to be in the right place at the right time a lot in that 2nd half.

- Tammy's header that was a near make - what a nice strike. Part of his game he can stand to add to take that next step as an attacking midfielder.

- This team is going to fuck some shit up once we add Pulisic and Ziyech to the mix. I didn't think Chilwell would come on and have this much of an impact this early, but if some things fall right we are certainly looking like the team that could almost contend this season that I had hoped to see. 

- Lampard doesn't need to be a defensive genius when we have actual quality in the back 4. Chilwell is going to make his job a lot easier. 

- Jorginho is a great parlor trick for a free goal every time a penalty is whistled. His quality during the actual flow of things may come and go but it's nice to have a guy out there that confidently steps up and puts those chances in the back of the net almost every time. 

International break then Southampton on 10/17 then manu on 10/24. Should be at least another 4 points - but 2020 has been a fickle mistress at times and manu may be playing desperate already. 

Edited by ztejas

Watched the game, Crystal Palace just absolutely parked the bus.

Was nice to see a clean sheet, but honestly until our opening score, I'm not sure Palace had the ball on our side of the pitch.

Back four did well, Kante bossed the midfield. CHO was consistently trying to pick apart the bus, more so than Timo imo. It will be interesting to see who Lampard puts in opposite CHO when we get up against another team looking to park the bus. CHO did as well set up the 2 early goals, first one with a good hustle play to get the pass into Kai and then again on the corner to get the ball quickly back out to Chillwell.

Jorginho wasn't that amazing honestly. I know he had a hard task trying to break the defense, but I'm not sure he and Kai have each other figured out.

Lampard getting the boys to play well and continues to put a smart squad out there based on what the opponent is trying to do.

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

James with a well deserved call up to the England squad along with Mount, Chillwell and Tammy.  Good solid young core of English players.

Unfortunately those two are barred from travelling with the team at the moment thanks to whoever decided to throw Tammy a surprise birthday bash and invite Chilwell (and Sancho).

14 hours ago, texifornia said:
Thank you for picking up those wages, neighbors!

Nice. With the inability to move Jorginho and RLC still not back at form after his ACL tear, this will be a good spot for him to get minutes against PL teams. It's always nice to put our younger players on opponents squads to give us a leg up when we play them.

13 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Sarcasm?

Timo’s composure is a sight for sore eyes. Assassin.

You know I couldn't tell if it was sarcasm or not. I felt like the Larry David gif.

That shit just made my mind up for me, though. What the fuck are you doing? I know that wasn't his fault but Jesus that's your best effort at saving that? 

Just a terrible example of sunk cost fallacy with him. 

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You know I couldn't tell if it was sarcasm or not. I felt like the Larry David gif.

That shit just made my mind up for me, though. What the fuck are you doing? I know that wasn't his fault but Jesus that's your best effort at saving that? 

Just a terrible example of sunk cost fallacy with him. 

Eh. On review there wasn't really anything Kepa could do there. I thought he made a bad play on the ball but he was kind of fucked out there on an island. 

Plz don't prove me right in the 2nd half.

Just terrible. Did anyone play well today outside of Pulisic and Werner* (can't keep their names straight)?

We are so fucking snake bit at keeper. Of course Mendy gets injured after playing 2 games for us. 

Title race wide open and struggling for points against West Brom and Southhampton. I mean I thought we were a season away but I thought we'd at least improve on last season. So far it's just the same shit. 

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

At this point you have to wonder if Lamps is capable of fixing it. I certainly have my doubts.

I cant really blame Frank for today. At some point it's on the players, especially when we are missing the upgrade at keeper that we just signed. Havertz has been really slow at times getting up to speed, which while maybe was to be expected a little bit, is still a little disappointing.

Why Kepa is being played over Caballero I have no idea. Seems like an idea the higher ups would be caught up on rather than Frank, since it isn't his money on the line. 

Lot's of chances for us. Mendy with a save.

On a side note, look who got registered on our Champions League Squad.

Chelsea

25 Squad players (*Home grown)

Abraham, Tammy*
Alonso Mendoza, Marcos
Arrizabalaga Revuelta, Kepa
Azpilicueta Tanco, Cesar
Caballero Lazcano, Wilfredo Daniel
Cech, Petr
Chilwell, Benjamin James*
Christensen, Andreas Bodtker*
Emiliano Da Silva, Thiago
Giroud, Olivier
Jorge Luiz, Frello Filho
Kante, Ngolo
Kovacic, Mateo
Mendy, Edouard Osoque
Palmieri Dos Santos, Emerson
Pulisic, Christian Mate
Rudiger, Antonio
Tomori, Fikayo*
Werner, Timo
Ziyech, Hakim
Zouma, Kurt Happy[/quote}

20 hours ago, MoJames said:

Lot's of chances for us. Mendy with a save.

On a side note, look who got registered on our Champions League Squad.

Interesting.

What kept us from getting 3 yesterday? I didn't watch. Not many chances from either team it looks like.

Sevilla has a solid defense that has been together for a while now. We looked disjointed at times trying to get used to each other. Werner had the best opportunites. Nothing easy though. Jorg and Kante were definately not pushing up too far.

Whoscored ratings

UKq9uL1.jpeg

#CFC 0 (0.39 xG) #SevillaFC 0 (0.28 xG) info graph

I must've caught all our chances in between work yesterday.

10 minutes ago, MoJames said:

#CFC 0 (0.39 xG) #SevillaFC 0 (0.28 xG)

Sounds like I missed an absolute barnburner.

Nothing wrong with a point against Sevilla ig. Assuming we don't cock up the other 2 matchups 2 points from Sevilla should be enough.

• ztejas changed the title to Chelsea 2020-2021: Campeones de Europa