Can I do a postal change of address for a prior resident?

We have lived in our home for 18 months, and we still receive the former residents' mail.  Both the husband and wife get a metric shit-ton of mail at our house, and they evidently never gave a forwarding address to the post office.  How can I turn this shit off?

Sometimes we drop it right back into outgoing mail, hoping the carrier might get the hint( not her fault, but might not be aware of the fuckups' negligence.)  Other days, i simply drop it in the trash, no fucks given.  These people were real fucking winners.  They only lived there 2 years and the house basically had to be made over on the inside, which is a win for us.  Yard was completely fucked up and neighbors couldn't stand them.  In the end, I really just want to stop receiving their mail.

Edited by slorch

It's a lot more difficult since the election decision to fuck up the post office was implemented.  Shit you used to be able to go online and simply stop your mail.  I tried to do this and had to have my address "verified" because the USPS could not Verify it.  Fucking bullshit, I have been at the same address for 15 years.  So instead I have to wait for a letter to be sent to me, which would arrive in 7 -10 days with a verification code.  Letter comes, gives me the code, I go online enter the code and STILL I cannot stop the fucking mail!!  Now maybe this was just election BS, but for fucks sake.  Used to be easy... wonder what changed?

As far as the old mail, a lot of it is likely collection.  Just go buy yourself a rubber stamp and stamp it all "No Longer at this address" and put it back into the mailbox each and every day.  Eventually the information will trickle though and in a year or two...

I looked it up and putting a note in the box stating so and so no longer at this address might help. Also scratching out the barcode along with the "no longer at this address" designation might help because of the barcode may bypass the notice. Which is something I didn't know before.

Edited by horn4life

I was mainly pissed that even after waiting over a week for the confirmation of address then NOT have that fucking work.  Especially when I was already out of town.  I don't mind having things like addresses verified.  but when the fucking verification doesn't work?  I think it was about 2 years ago I needed to do the same thing and it was a breeze online. So I still cannot do any of this shit online.  which is fucked.

write "Return to sender, recipient no longer at this address" on every piece of mail and stick in back in the box. 

Doesn’t stop it. Did that for the first 3 years and 6+ years later I still get the previous owner’s mail. Every month I get what appears to be a physical check from a Canadian pension. I do put those back but everything else gets tossed. Should probably toss it all since she was over 90 when we bought our house and probably kicked it a while ago.

I'ma do the dumb thing and go talk with the main Post office this week.  We just got back into town from a trip for which we left Wednesday.   Prior resident had 11 pieces of mail.  We had 15.