2021 ATP/WTA Thread

UDontKnow

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Now they’re playing a 250 at the same complex in Charleston again. Tauson plays at noon tomorrow. 

Draw

Shitty draw for Caty McNally.

She waits around for another week and then gets a steamroller while two qualifiers get to play each other in the first round.

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 9.16.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 9.16.52 PM.png

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Cornet finally retires at 4-all in the 3rd. Kid gets 19-year old Navarro next. 

Two players ranked in the 400s in the 2nd round.

Meanwhile Caty McNally met Shelby Rogers in the first round and Caty is ranked in the 100s, getting somewhat close to 100. (# 118 according to Wiki)

Big match for both the Czech kid and for Navarro. They both need some points.

9 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Navarro is still playing college tennis at UVA iirc. She just took a break from school to play this WTA event. Sucks that she’ll have to decline the prize money 

Fortunately the prize money for this event is shit, so there aren't many regrets.

This is the season and 250 tournaments are the events to get your feet wet without worrying about prize money.

If she does well enough and the NCAA allows image licensing, she can make up the lost prize money with a 1 second signature.

...and then I saw THIS on wiki:

Navarro is the daughter of billionaire businessman Ben Navarro and the grand-daughter of former American football player and coach Frank Navarro.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Navarro

So now I'm wondering if you were just fucking with us about it "[Sucking] that she'll have to decline the prize money."

Pobre-fucking-cita  😪

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 10.33.04 PM.png

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Well damn! Her and Pegula both have 2 of the richest men in the world as dads

She and Pegula do!

I knew about Jessie (sp?), but didn’t know about Navarro.

I only learned last night about the Italian-American girl (Francesca Di Lorenzo) from Ohio State whose parents are “Italian immigrants”... dad’s a doctor and mom is an Italian professor at local colleges* in  Columbus, Ohio. 

Francesca may be out of college though. 

*my guess is at the community colleges, because they would have mentioned Ohio State by name on Wiki. 

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

Goddamn, Monte Carlo gets slower every year. "Incredible defense" is getting less and less incredible.

Why the fuck didn’t Rublev hit a drop shot. That exchange was fucking regarded. A coach couldn’t have hit better “hard, but gettable” shots. 

Rublev was at the service line T and “3-Name Spaniard” was about 8 feet behind the baseline.

RUSSIAN IMBECILE!

5 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Dan Evans is a hilarious watch.  He sweats  more than any human I’ve ever seen.

2 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

Tiafoe may have the title these days.

I love Evans game. It shouldn’t work, but it does. Extreme mental strength to take his skill set and turn it into a top 30 ranking.

Dan Evans isn’t even in the Top 3 currently on tour.

1. Tiafoe 

2. Rafa Nadal

3. Tsitsipas

...and there might be a 4th out there who looks like he jumps into a swimming pool after the 2nd game of each set. 

14 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Not an ideal ending. 

I love Latinas! ♥️

That whole touchy-geeky thing is just wonderful.

14 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Yeah on the heels of Evans beating Djoker.  Should be a fun semi final.

You can’t stop Dan Evans. Especially not on his favored clay. 

Rafa double-faulted his way into a shit storm on Friday vs Rublev, but Dusty Dan was just too much for Djokovic. He’s also in the semis in doubles. 

45 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I love Latinas! ♥️

That whole touchy-geeky thing is just wonderful.

You can’t stop Dan Evans. Especially not on his favored clay. 

Rafa double-faulted his way into a shit storm on Friday vs Rublev, but Dusty Dan was just too much for Djokovic. He’s also in the semis in doubles. 

Dirtball Dan coming for RG.  

Rublev destroyed Nadal with his forehand.  That was impressive to watch .  Really didn’t give him much to work with because of his pace.  Wild to think that RG could actually be wide open this year, or I’m an I reading too much into these early matches?

13 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Dirtball Dan coming for RG.  

Rublev destroyed Nadal with his forehand.  That was impressive to watch .  Really didn’t give him much to work with because of his pace.  Wild to think that RG could actually be wide open this year, or I’m an I reading too much into these early matches?

You’re reading too much into this. 

Rafa hated everything about the September/ October 2020 RG and I am fairly certain that he didn’t drop a set. And that was after losing to Schwartzman on clay in Rome. 

Rafa will win in Paris. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Jabeur was -590 for her first title, easily won the opener, then completely left the building. Sharma gets her maiden crown instead. 

She is too fat.  So am I but I’m not a professional tennis player.  I play other fat dudes in 4.0 rec league tennis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I didn't like that bitch-assed Itai's waxed-eyebrow attitude before, but in a Mexican tournament (Acapulco?) he barely won against another Italian in a 3rd set tie-breaker and he kept telling the guy that he was lucky to be in the match. The other guy was livid and kept giving him an earful afterwards and Fognini was just smirking like a fucking bitch afterwards and any bad things that can happen to that worthless fuck, I'm all for.

People always say "I don't wish injury on someone...", but with Fognini, I do.

This thing in Barcelona is stupid, but I don't care. Bounce that piece of shit and move on. Take his ass out to sea, toss him in the water, and point toward Italy and tell him to swim.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1