2018 Texas Women's Soccer

texasstrong12

Great result. Just annoying we don't have Regan and Grosso because we would definitely win this conference with both. 

I hope the NCAA committee evaluates our resume as such and realizes that we are producing results without 2 of our best players. The Baylor win and Oklahoma State draw are incredible results when you factor in we are missing 2 of our top 5 players. 

We play TCU on Sunday and they lost 1-0 to Baylor tonight. They are 0-2-1 in conference but their record is deceiving because the Big 12 is a good conference. 

This won't be easy after playing a 2 OT match tonight. Gonna have to be liberal with subs. It's good we picked up a result tonight. 

Edited by texasstrong12

On 9/21/2018 at 9:20 PM, texasstrong12 said:

I don't either. Maybe both are injured? 

For a second, I thought we played Oklahoma State on Sunday but it's not until next Friday. So that's good. We won't get a result against TCU or Oklahoma State without Grosso and Regan. 

Saw that one coming but we did get a draw against a good Oklahoma State team on the road. So it's not as bad as I thought it would be. 

This should be the only year we have issues with the Canadians because of World Cup qualifying. The World Cup is played in the summer so even if they make the roster it shouldn't impact us next year. 

We're #10 in RPI now. 

The last 3 games we played #9 RPI (Baylor), #16 RPI (Oklahoma State), and #25 RPI (TCU). Going 1-1-1 is probably about as good as we could have expected without Grosso and Regan. Especially with 2 of those games on the road. 

We're still a good team without the Canadians but we're extremely limited from a technical standpoint. Regan is our best fullback by a mile. Her replacement Surpris plays kickball whenever she touches the ball. Grosso is probably our best player and it shows when we don't have her in central midfield setting the table for everyone else. 

Without Grosso and Regan we're the same team as we were last year. Capable of picking up some results because there's still quality but Grosso/Regan push us much closer to being elite rather than a team that's probably sweet 16/round of 32 good. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

If we play this weekend without Grosso and Regan we need to change formations. Not just because of technical ability but because we can't play this open and expect to have legs on Sunday against WV. We had nothing in the tank against TCU after a 2 OT game on Friday. We need to move to a more defensive formation without Grosso and Regan. We've actually played wide open this year as you would expect with all the talent we have in midfield and forward. But that's changed now without Grosso and Regan. 

The positive in all of this is a lot of young players are getting minutes right now. Almost all the FR are playing (Brooks, Allen, McFarland, and Smith). 

The player we really miss right now is Strouphauer. She's probably our 2nd most technical midfielder outside of Grosso. We would have a lot fewer issues in central midfield right now if Strouphauer was healthy. 

If this team adds Huitema we're going to be even more loaded next year once we get Strouphauer back. We lose Hooper, Stearns, Surpris and Adams but we have better players on the roster at their given positions. Dollas and Glenn will be the 2 players that are tough to replace. 

I really hope we land Huitema because this team is built to be really good next year. Probably the best roster we will ever have on campus. Adding an instant impact player like Huitema would be huge. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I mean, I *understand* the Friday-Sunday format but it feels like a lot.  I feel the Big 12 would be better served to do Wednesday-Saturday type scheduling.  Only WV has issues with the Wednesday games due to distance from other schools, but it would be pretty easy to do Wednesday games with Tech/TCU/Texas/Baylor/OU/OSU and KSU/KU/ISU.  Friday -> Sunday is a quick turnaround.

Anybody that's played competitive soccer knows that the Friday/Sunday format is horrible. Not sure there's a solution though based on travel budgets and scheduling issues. 

It's almost impossible to play at this level in back to back games with only 24 hours of rest. Beyond that it's not good for the health of players either. If you watched the TCU game yesterday, some of our players were literally at the point of collapsing. 

More than anything this schedule screwed us this year at the wrong time. 4 road games in a row against 3 top 25 type teams without Grosso and Regan. 

2-1 win against ISU. Back on track. 

Really difficult game on Sunday against WV on the road. They are probably the 2nd most talented team we play this year. We probably won't get a result in this game without Grosso and Regan but a draw would be huge. 

We're going to get a huge shot in the arm though in upcoming weeks with Stroup, Grosso, and Regan all returning. Getting 3 starter caliber type players back. 

1-We're gonna have to bunker down a bit against WV. We can't play as open as we normally do or it will get ugly. 

2-Getting Stroup back is a significant development. I thought she was one of our better players at the end of last year. Outside of Grosso she probably has the most technical ability in the midfield. if she's healthy enough to give us 20-30 minutes at the end of the year it would be big.