2018 Texas Women's Soccer

texasstrong12

Berg drew some attention to herself too during that last play, opening up a bit of space for Billups to run through the box. Feel really bad for the defender mishitting the clearance (we've all had those moments).

What kind of activities does Canada have this weekend? Don't see any matches on their schedule.

3 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

What kind of activities does Canada have this weekend? Don't see any matches on their schedule.

I don't either. Maybe both are injured? 

For a second, I thought we played Oklahoma State on Sunday but it's not until next Friday. So that's good. We won't get a result against TCU or Oklahoma State without Grosso and Regan. 

8 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Berg drew some attention to herself too during that last play

Berg has realized her role. She's essentially an attacking central midfielder right now. She's playing higher than a central mid but that's where she needs to be. 

For this team to have quality they need Berg and Grosso in the center of the field setting the table. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't either. Maybe both are injured? 

For a second, I thought we played Oklahoma State on Sunday but it's not until next Friday. So that's good. We won't get a result against TCU or Oklahoma State without Grosso and Regan. 

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-set-to-open-pre-tournament-camp-in-texas-ahead-of-2018-concacaf-women-s-championship-p161809

Does this mean they're gone for the whole period Sep 20 to Oct 1st!? If they do get selected for World Cup qualifying, they'll be gone for essentially another two weeks until Oct 17th.

Edited by Aleemay

7 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-set-to-open-pre-tournament-camp-in-texas-ahead-of-2018-concacaf-women-s-championship-p161809

Does this mean they're gone for the whole period Sep 20 to Oct 1st!? If they do get selected for World Cup qualifying, they'll be gone for essentially another two weeks until Oct 17th.

Could be which would suck. Both Grosso and Regan are listed so they were with the national team. 

I didn't realize Grosso was still only 17 years old. Damn she's incredible for that age. 

Edited by texasstrong12

The one positive of all this Grosso and Regan stuff is it has to be appealing to Huitema who is also with the national team right now. 

I hope Grosso and Regan are putting in some recruiting work. 

Canada really does have some young talent. Grosso (17), Regan (18), and Huitema (17) could all make their world cup roster. It would be nice if they were all Longhorns too. Kelly has to keep using your Canada connections because we can win at a high level with these type players. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

If we don't have Grosso and Regan we're gonna have to play like we did tonight in the 2nd half. A little more direct vs build up (technical) play. 

I think that's why Kelly put Brooks at outside fullback and Jett in a more outside midfield role. 

McFarland and Billups have pace to give us that option and they were key in the win tonight. 

We're up to #10 in RPI. Next 4 games are on the road and 3 will be tough. 

@ #12 RPI Oklahoma State

@ #28 RPI TCU

@ #135 RPI ISU

@ 23 RPI West Virginia 

WV is starting to look like the team most thought they would be in recent games. They're the most talented team in the conference.

Edited by texasstrong12

Game night versus #13 (10-1) Oklahoma State in Stilly.

Their best win is 2-1 win over Kansas. Florida, Cal and OU are all sub-500 and Illinois only a game above 500 (their only loss).

If you look at the RPI team sheets, Texas is 4-0-1 against the top 100, including 1-0-1 against the top 25.  Ok State is 5-1 against the top 100, but have only played 1 game in the top 50 (Texas has 3).

Oklahoma is only a top 100 RPI team because they've played 4 teams in the top 20 and lost them all

Florida is only a top 100 RPI team because they've played 6 games in the top 50 and have gone 0-5-1

Illinois has 3 top 50 wins but also 4 losses

Even Kansas is 0-2-2 versus the top 50

I'm not going to call any of it RPI gaming, because it all shakes out as your non-conference opponents start playing their conference games and some of your RPI 51-100 teams start falling as they play shitty opponents, but us having played 3 top 50 teams versus 1 for Ok State makes us a little more tested.

Should be a good match.