2018 Texas Women's Soccer

texasstrong12

We are really technical. I mean really technical for a college team. So many options in the midfield and forward.

This is a fun team to watch compared to a few years ago. This is real soccer. Possess the ball, move the ball, and break teams down instead of playing kick ball. Texas State is fundamentally sound from a formation perspective and we can actually break them down now with technical ability. 

We should finish non-conference play undefeated.

The Big 12 is actually a good conference this year. Kansas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech are all ranked. Baylor, OU and TCU are all receiving votes. Then you have WV who had a terrible start and are still likely a top 25 caliber type team. 

The Big 12 is going to be a grind. The good news is our RPI should be really good this year if we can produce some results in the Big 12. I do think there's 6 or 7 teams that can win the Big 12 this year out of Kansas, Ok State, Tech, Texas, WV, Baylor and TCU. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Also, I'm a little worried that Grosso will go pro soon. Maybe we get 2 or 3 years out of her but the college game is a waste of time for her. 

She's been by far the most technically gifted player on the field so far this year even against quality teams like UNC. Grosso will play professionally it's just a matter of when at this point. 

Edited by texasstrong12

46 minutes ago, pacman said:

Average isn't shit, but doubt Grosso would come in on an average salary.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/789000/average-women-s-sports-salaries-by-league/

That was no help. I'm wanting to compare what it would be versus a soccer scholarship to Texas which would be probably 50 to 75% paid with a player of her caliber. So she would have to make at least 75K a year to be worth it.

Pathetic style of soccer from UTRGV. I get playing conservative against teams like Texas but this is ridiculous. They've pushed forward maybe one time all night. This style of play doesn't prepare Texas at all because no team is going to put 10 players behind the ball all night. 

Beyond that UTRGV keeps diving and time wasting on subs/throw ins. The ref has warned the head coach twice about time wasting so it's time to give him a yellow. 

http://woso-stats.ml/college/2018/schedule/19

We are sitting pretty at #14 in RPI because there's lots of quality opportunities in the Big 12. 

Baylor (#26 RPI), OK State (#18 RPI), TCU (#10 RPI), WV (#39 RPI), Kansas (#15 RPI), Tech (#54 RPI), OU (#62 RPI). Don't lose to ISU or K-State and there's legit wins on the table. 

This is going to be a grind. First 3 games in conference play are probably against top 25 caliber teams and 2 of those are on the road. 7/10 teams could make the tournament if things fall right in conference play. 

Edited by texasstrong12

We're recruiting the entire Solar soccer club it seems. A couple more commitments from the same club as Byars and Missimo. FYI I'm pretty sure Trinity Byars has a younger sister named Treasure Byars in the '24 class. Treasure is already making U14 rosters so she's probably another 5 star type player. 

This Solar connection could be huge. 

• Like 1

Here's a list of all our commitments. https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-soccer-details/women/texas/clgid-208/tab-commitments#tabs

Players that play for Solar: 

Tatyana Byars ('18), Mackenzie McFarland ('18), Gabriella Missimio ('19), Sydney Nobles ('19), Morgan Pace ('20), Tatiana Fung ('21), Alexis Missimo ('21), Trinity Byars '21, Lola Stanley ('21). 

I"m sure the other Byars sister will jump on board soon. 

We have to be composed tonight. Baylor plays really aggressive (borders on dirty) so we can't react when there are hard fouls. 

Really tough 3 game stretch here. 1-1-1 probably wouldn't be terrible. 

Baylor (#18 RPI), @ OK State (#17 RPI), @ TCU (#10 RPI). 

Edited by texasstrong12