2018 Texas Women's Soccer

texasstrong12

It's a shame.  I haven't watched as much UT soccer as some of y'all, but I noticed a change this year.  The team actually looked more athletic and technical than the teams I watched in the past.  The soccer IQ just didn't look good.  Not sure if I'd blame the players or coaches.  They just looked clueless for long stretches the past few days.

Really disappointing finish to the year. 

This is why I wanted Hintzen to be on the bench in the final game against Tech. We should have been trying to get her healthy instead of chasing meaningless results. This isn't just a Texas soccer issue but an issue across all the sports. We are terrible at managing injuries. 

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

A lot of these players don’t seem to like playing.  The look on their faces says that it’s a burden, not a fun game.  What’s up with that. 

Not sure the system Kelly is teaching is being consumed well by the girls. Kelly seems to have some Rick Barnes in her, the girls do not seem to play fast & confident. She is recruiting like a boss but our on field play is not ideal. 

Same thing happened at Tennessee.  I was pretty well dialed in to that program when I was up there.  I coached both club and high school soccer in Knoxville.  Not that I'm saying it's related to the effort on the field, but players, coaches, and parents in the area were not very fond of Kelly.

13 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

A lot of these players don’t seem to like playing.  The look on their faces says that it’s a burden, not a fun game.  What’s up with that. 

Rumor has followed Kelly for years that she makes things miserable for some, or many, players

Edited by pacman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Watching what Mike has done with our softball program gives me hope that CDC will bring in the right coach for our next hire, we should be a soccer power.

They just extended her through February 2024. I think people have it in their minds that CDC is going to fire every coach that's not elite when that simply isn't realistic. 

Kelly is coming off a Sweet 16 appearance 2 years ago and the direction of the program is definitely trending in the right direction if you look at recruiting. This at a school that doesn't have a men's soccer team and has little to no history.

Texas could do much worse than Kelly and until she hits rock bottom (like a Gail or Clark) she will get more time. 

It should never come down to hitting rock bottom and not having a men’s team should be sold as a positive. Everything is in place for our soccer program to be top tier. She can recruit, we did not lack for talent this past year. Soccer here could be like Vball, dominate the conference yearly. We have everything a soccer recruit wants in a school except a proven coach.

I believe I did say when it’s time to make the next hire. 

13 hours ago, Goodman said:

Watching what Mike has done with our softball program gives me hope that CDC will bring in the right coach for our next hire, we should be a soccer power.

All indications are that Mike will turn out to be a great hire, but can we let him coach a full season or two before making that declaration?  He has done well taking advantage of the transfer portal, so that's certainly a promising start. 

I do agree that there is no reason why we shouldn't be a soccer power, but am definitely not convinced that Kelly can't get us there.  She has improved the team enough that she should still be getting the the benefit of the doubt, not already feeling the heat.  

We dealt a bit with injuries and the Canadians taking off midsession for qualifiers. Shouldn’t be the case next year. 

The Canadians were our most technical passers and we had to endure some tough games without them. So ready for a full season with them. 

Edited by Js1

3 hours ago, idigTexas said:

All indications are that Mike will turn out to be a great hire, but can we let him coach a full season or two before making that declaration?  He has done well taking advantage of the transfer portal, so that's certainly a promising start. 

I do agree that there is no reason why we shouldn't be a soccer power, but am definitely not convinced that Kelly can't get us there.  She has improved the team enough that she should still be getting the the benefit of the doubt, not already feeling the heat.  

You do not see the improvement of our softball team? That is all my point is referencing, dramatic improvement. In softball(ou has won 2 of last 3 nc) like in basketball (rapeu)we have a true, year in year out national contender to beat in the conference. In soccer, like in vball ..not so much. 

Edited by Goodman

15 minutes ago, Goodman said:

You do not see the improvement of our softball team? That is all my point is referencing, dramatic improvement. In softball(ou has won 2 of last 3 nc) like in basketball (rapeu)we have a true, year in year out national contender to beat in the conference. In soccer, like in vball ..not so much. 

Um, WV in soccer? 

12 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I'm not blind.  Yes, I can see that the softball team appears to be much better than what they have been, but how far they can go remains to be seen.  You seem willing to assume that challenging for national championships is a foregone conclusion.  I hope you are right, but I want to see it.

As for soccer, I think they have shown a great deal of improvement over the past two seasons, in spite of the disappointing finish.  I expect them to be even better next season, but we'll have to see how it goes. 

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

I'm not blind.  Yes, I can see that the softball team appears to be much better than what they have been, but how far they can go remains to be seen.  You seem willing to assume that challenging for national championships is a foregone conclusion.  I hope you are right, but I want to see it.

As for soccer, I think they have shown a great deal of improvement over the past two seasons, in spite of the disappointing finish.  I expect them to be even better next season, but we'll have to see how it goes. 

What leads you to believe challenging for a natty is a foregone conclusion? Softball has a much tougher road in conference, similar to basketball. Volleyball and Soccer do not and timing is everything in life. 

We'll see how soccer goes but Kelly did and does not have the reputation in her sport of a Mike White or Floreal, that is my point. If and when we make our next hire, CDC has shown he can find talent. Not sure why this is such a sensitive topic for you.

You are touting the hiring of Mike White as an example of what needs to be done for the soccer program.  Mike White has not achieved anything here yet, though it is looking really good 6 games into his first season.  Carts, horses, chickens, roads, eggs hatching and shit. 

Kelly has the soccer team on the rise.  Who gives a shit about reputation.  Give me results.

Edited by idigTexas

11 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Softball has a much tougher road in conference, similar to basketball. Volleyball and Soccer do not and timing is everything in life. 

The Big 12 was a really tough conference this year in soccer. I believe it finished as the #1 RPI conference in the country. 

Volleyball is definitely weak though. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Big 12 was a really tough conference this year in soccer. I believe it finished as the #1 RPI conference in the country. 

Volleyball is definitely weak though. 

I would definitely say having to deal with WV, Tech and Baylor in soccer is a harder road than volleyball by far.

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

We'll see how soccer goes but Kelly did and does not have the reputation in her sport of a Mike White or Floreal, that is my point. If and when we make our next hire, CDC has shown he can find talent. Not sure why this is such a sensitive topic for you.

And David Pierce and Tom Herman did? Maybe we should give up on those sports and wait until CDC has a chance to make Dabo Swinney and Tim Tadlock say no.

Edited by Machinator

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

And David Pierce and Tom Herman did? Maybe we should give up on those sports and wait until CDC has a chance to make Dabo Swinney and Tim Tadlock say no.

Pierce sure did, ask anyone involved in baseball. He’s been a proven stud for a long time. Tom had many questions but I was trying to keep this to women’s sports and those with minimal shenanigans. 

10 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Pierce sure did, ask anyone involved in baseball. He’s been a proven stud for a long time. Tom had many questions but I was trying to keep this to women’s sports and those with minimal shenanigans. 

He (Pierce) did, but I remember all the talk when he was hired was about him being our fourth choice or something like that.

Kelly is safe until the 2021s are on campus. That committed bunch is way too good to jeopardize getting them to campus. She would probably have to set fire to CDC's office to get fired.

She also has two more top notch Canadians coming in the 2019/2020 classes.

Talent will be there. It remains to be seen if she can actually coach, imo. The team and individual players in general have not improved technically/tactically under her coaching.

It was painful to see one of the top midfields in the nation (Glenn, Grosso, Berg, Stroup when healthy) continually get passed over as the defense launched ball after ball to the forwards. If Kelly/Stroup commit to learning play as a 6, and the other two learning to rotate in to the position if the game dictates, it would be quite a dynamic/unstoppable trio. But, it wouldn't work if the defense and forwards refuse to work through, and with, the midfield.

Edited by pacman

• 2 weeks later...

Spring schedule up. First game on Saturday for you Valley Horns

https://texassports.com/news/2019/2/26/soccer-announces-2019-spring-schedule.aspx

Texas 2019 Spring Soccer Schedule

Sat., March 2    at UTRGV                    1 p.m. CT – Edinburg, Texas

Sat. March 9     at Houston Dash          3 p.m. CT (location: Houston Sports Park – 12131 Kirby Dr., Houston, Texas)

Sat., March 30   vs. LSU                         2 p.m. CT (location: Bear Branch Sportsfield #7 – 5205 Research Forest Dr.

The Woodlands, Texas)

Fri., April 5       ST. EDWARD'S        7 p.m. CT – Myers Stadium

Fri., April 12     MONTERREY            7 p.m. CT – Myers Stadium

Fri., April 14     HOUSTON                1 p.m. CT – Myers Stadium